SEOPS Hippo

Re: Alex @ Athens 2/16

Post by Ironman92 »

58-50 Athens 3:40 left

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

71-60 Athens. Maxfield with 23. Now I want a Spartans fan to tell me why this kid doesn't deserve to be POY? One man wrecking crew!!! Athens with 9 in a row and done it without Hynes.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

VisionQuest wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:05 pm 71-60 Athens. Maxfield with 23. Now I want a Spartans fan to tell me why this kid doesn't deserve to be POY? One man wrecking crew!!! Athens with 9 in a row and done it without Hynes.
Because there are better players in the league.....next question?.....

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

hateraid wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:27 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:05 pm 71-60 Athens. Maxfield with 23. Now I want a Spartans fan to tell me why this kid doesn't deserve to be POY? One man wrecking crew!!! Athens with 9 in a row and done it without Hynes.
Because there are better players in the league.....next question?.....
That's different than PERFORMANCE!! You are like your namesake and don't want to admit what this kid has done. You are blind.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Gutsy effort by Athens without Hines. And nice game by Maxfield offensively - and the team on the boards. I had six players with 4 or more rebounds.

But ,,, If I were to nitpick, which I am really good at ... lol ... the Bulldogs HAVE to figure out what to do late in the quarter and at the end of games. Their clock management, time and score awareness is absolutely atrocious. It has been all year. I don't know how many times this season with 8 point leads, 6 points, 9 points and under a minute to go they throw up ill advised shots, instead of draining the clock and taking the last one. If you have an 8-point lead with 54 seconds left, you DRAIN the clock down and take the last shot!!!! If you set up a play and get a three off, you could possibly have an 11-point lead heading into the next quarter or halftime. If you come down court, fire up a shot and miss and the other team goes down and takes the last shot and hits a three - your possible 11 point lead may be a at 5!!!! That is a HUGE f'ing difference, especially in a tournament game!!!!!

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 pm Gutsy effort by Athens without Hines. And nice game by Maxfield offensively - and the team on the boards. I had six players with 4 or more rebounds.

But ,,, If I were to nitpick, which I am really good at ... lol ... the Bulldogs HAVE to figure out what to do late in the quarter and at the end of games. Their clock management, time and score awareness is absolutely atrocious. It has been all year. I don't know how many times this season with 8 point leads, 6 points, 9 points and under a minute to go they throw up ill advised shots, instead of draining the clock and taking the last one. If you have an 8-point lead with 54 seconds left, you DRAIN the clock down and take the last shot!!!! If you set up a play and get a three off, you could possibly have an 11-point lead heading into the next quarter or halftime. If you come down court, fire up a shot and miss and the other team goes down and takes the last shot and hits a three - your possible 11 point lead may be a at 5!!!! That is a HUGE f'ing difference, especially in a tournament game!!!!!
That’s all coaching, making kids aware of time and place, situational basketball. You can get by with that the 2nd half of this season, however, won’t work well starting next week.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Do you have free throw numbers 93Bulldog? I know it was a heck of a lot better than the 1st meeting between these 2. What were the Bulldogs in that loss at the Alley? 11-21
Or something.

JustusLeague
Freshman Team

Post by JustusLeague »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 pm Gutsy effort by Athens without Hines. And nice game by Maxfield offensively - and the team on the boards. I had six players with 4 or more rebounds.

That’s all coaching, making kids aware of time and place, situational basketball. You can get by with that the 2nd half of this season, however, won’t work well starting next week.
Unfortunately Athens will probably go down first game. VC is coached much better.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

JustusLeague wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:02 am

Unfortunately Athens will probably go down first game. VC is coached much better.
Yep we have heard it all before. We love being the UnderDawgs. Going to be a good one.

JustusLeague
Freshman Team

Post by JustusLeague »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:03 am

Yep we have heard it all before. We love being the UnderDawgs. Going to be a good one.
No it will not. VC will be pumped for a long tourney run, yet again. Daddy ball might be gone but no way you compare to Yates, Combs & Co.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

JustusLeague wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:06 am
VisionQuest wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:03 am

No it will not. VC will be pumped for a long tourney run, yet again. Daddy ball might be gone but no way you compare to Yates, Combs & Co.
Athens equally pumped. Winner will probably play Fairland and be even bigger Underdogs. Both teams want a chance to play in the Convo. This game will be Intense.

JustusLeague
Freshman Team

Post by JustusLeague »

Combs will own Cozart - he will go back to AAU girls team quickly.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

So have to give Maxfield credit. That is the best I have seen him play in the past three years. He was aggressive and a leader. Athens hit some big shots at big times. I agree, they have to get better at end of quarter situations.

Caleb Terry was very good. I don't understand why we stopped pounding the ball to him. Athens had no one that could stop him with Hynes out.

Alexander really struggled against the zone, we have to get better with that. We do not put our shooters in position to get open. I know I am not as smart as the coaches, but you would think we would make some adjustments.

Hope to see all TVC teams make a long tournament run.

Go TVC!

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

For Athens seems like the substitution pattern art the end of the first quarter going into three minutes of the second and third into fourth each game are not effective. Vinton County vs Athens in first round play off game will be a classic. Will be a nail biter. Hoping both clubs will be at full strength.
Combs is a HOF coach and Cozart has done a remarkable job this season. Nine straight wins beating teams in the second part of the season after losing in the first part. COY for him.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I understand taking your players out with a minute and a half before end of quarters for extra rest. But is the trade off worth it? Not having your best, smartest, most experienced players on the court at crucial times? They have gotten away with it throughout the regular season, but I wouldn't do it during the tournament. These kids aren't 35 year old NBA players, the extra minute rest isn't gonna make a huge difference. It's do or die now. I shorten my bench, go with my best and let the chips fall where they may.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:57 pm I understand taking your players out with a minute and a half before end of quarters for extra rest. But is the trade off worth it? Not having your best, smartest, most experienced players on the court at crucial times? They have gotten away with it throughout the regular season, but I wouldn't do it during the tournament. These kids aren't 35 year old NBA players, the extra minute rest isn't gonna make a huge difference. It's do or die now. I shorten my bench, go with my best and let the chips fall where they may.
I have seen a lot of teams with this issue. I sit in the stands and it drives me crazy when a team has worked for 6 1/2 minutes to seize control of the game and then sub out and lose the last 90 seconds 5-0. Seems like an open 3 or a back door layup happens 90% of the time.

Return to “Boys Basketball”