Ironton @ coal grove 2/14

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Ironton @ coal grove 2/14

Post by trojandave »

I've watched Ironton a couple of times this year, and they struggle on offense, but always play hard on defense. As far as Coach Lafon's accomplishments, his Tigers won the SEOAL outright in 2010 (the expanded SEOAL, 13-1 league record), Ironton lost to Portsmouth in the 2012 D3 regional championship 50-40, the very next year in 2013, Ironton made the state semifinals, losing to eventual champion Ottawa-Glandorf, and in 2015 IHS lost to Portsmouth in the regional semifinals.

I would say that's a very good resume for any coach. Coach Lafon simply doesn't have the talent this year, but if you take a look at their games, they have lost quite a few of them by single digits.

Kids come First
Waterboy

Post by Kids come First »

dime-a-dozen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:39 am What a laugher! People questioning Mark Lafon’s coaching ability! You prove you know nothing about basketball, stick to what you know.
Well I do know this he has a hard time getting kids to come out and play for him. Look at how many have quit playing or transferred to another school. A good coach doesn’t have that problem. People keep saying he does have much talent playing for him that’s because most of the good talent choices not to play for him.

Kids come First
Waterboy

Post by Kids come First »

trojandave wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:36 pm I've watched Ironton a couple of times this year, and they struggle on offense, but always play hard on defense. As far as Coach Lafon's accomplishments, his Tigers won the SEOAL outright in 2010 (the expanded SEOAL, 13-1 league record), Ironton lost to Portsmouth in the 2012 D3 regional championship 50-40, the very next year in 2013, Ironton made the state semifinals, losing to eventual champion Ottawa-Glandorf, and in 2015 IHS lost to Portsmouth in the regional semifinals.

I would say that's a very good resume for any coach. Coach Lafon simply doesn't have the talent this year, but if you take a look at their games, they have lost quite a few of them by single digits.
Thanks for your input but it’s sad no one from Ironton knew any of that
😂😂😂

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Kids come First wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:20 pm
trojandave wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:36 pm I've watched Ironton a couple of times this year, and they struggle on offense, but always play hard on defense. As far as Coach Lafon's accomplishments, his Tigers won the SEOAL outright in 2010 (the expanded SEOAL, 13-1 league record), Ironton lost to Portsmouth in the 2012 D3 regional championship 50-40, the very next year in 2013, Ironton made the state semifinals, losing to eventual champion Ottawa-Glandorf, and in 2015 IHS lost to Portsmouth in the regional semifinals.

Thanks for your input but it’s sad no one from Ironton knew any of that
😂😂😂
No one from Ironton knew that they reached the Final Four recently? Or that they won a District Championship 3 years ago? Lol

I'm sure that you have been a long time fan and not just an angry parent and somehow that all slipped your mind.

I watched them once this season and I'm surprised that they have won 5 games to be honest. Not much talent right now, but I'm sure they'll be back soon. Maybe once they flush out some toxic parents that are telling their kids how clueless the coach is.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

I am not an Ironton fan but knew of those accomplishments! Coach Lafon runs a tight ship and nobody is bigger than The program! If you don’t play team ball or be discipline then those are the kids that don’t play or move! You are clearly eating sour grapes and are basing you comments on being butt hurt because Little Johnny doesn’t play much. Your comments show that you are not an Ironton follower just a mad parent that doesn’t know anything about basketball, winning, tradition or discipline! Coach Lafon is a coach that does a lot with little talent I’ve seen him do it before just like he is this year. Chesapeake is going through the same thing! Kids and parents want their egos stroked and things to be handed to them. However at both Ironton and Chesapeake that won’t happen so kids choose to sit in the bleachers rather than put their big boy pants on and work for something or if it’s to difficult they just move! Mark Lafon and Ryan Davis arguably the best two coaches in the OVC are going through a stretch of lack of talent and kids that don’t want to be pushed or get better so they don’t play! Both Ironton and Chesapeake have good freshman classes and will be back to their winning ways shortly! And as for you kids come first..... If your kids truly comes first then teach them how to step up, teach them respect, integrity, discipline, and teach them to not quit and when faced with adversity to stand up and punch it in the mouth. Don’t be the parent who whines about stuff because you don’t understand the game and because your kid isn’t getting a “fair shot”. Will you be there to whine around, complain or go argue with their boss when they are out in the real world? Lol. Get a grip! I don’t think these are the responses you were looking for are they! You can’t want it more than your kid!

hammer94
Waterboy

Post by hammer94 »

Great post dime-a-dozen..Back in the day when kids were tougher and their parents kicked them in the but if you were pushed or yelled at by the coach you would go that much harder UNLESS you were a big PUSS and went home crying or complaining in which you didn't get any sympathy from that. Which brings me to another subject Ive seen on here. Top Juniors or top sophmores in your area. I think that must be some mommy or daddy wanting someone to brag on little jr.. wow. moms and dads need to grow up ..not the kids

TrojanMan
Waterboy

Post by TrojanMan »

Coach Lafon is a great coach. Any program should be happy to have him around.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

TrojanMan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 am Coach Lafon is a great coach. Any program should be happy to have him around.
Agreed!

Return to “Boys Basketball”