Should Coaches Rest Players

The Flash
Varsity

Should Coaches Rest Players

Post by The Flash »

Title. After Fox’s torn ACL against Wheelersburg, should coaches make that adjustment?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Re: Should Coaches Rest Players

Post by Hoopie74 »

The Flash wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:45 pm Title. After Fox’s torn ACL against Wheelersburg, should coaches make that adjustment?
I believe yes.Thru the years we have had several players injured just before tourney. I also think we need to go back to 20 game season. These kids play one way or another all year round. Let the kids be kids a bit.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

It's a tricky situation for a coach deciding to rest certain players going into the tournament. For example, say a coach changed his starting lineup several games ago and the team is playing better. Perhaps the coach would prefer to continue to develop a good chemistry with that group and decides to keep things status quo, with wholesale substitutions by the 4th quarter. For a coach who has kept the same starters and rotation throughout the season, resting certain players might be the best option.

Injuries can happen at any time, even in practice. Remember just last year, Collin Van Horn of Fairland suffered an injury in practice that kept him out of regular season games for quite a while. Fairland went on to go undefeated in the OVC, and Van Horn returned to lead the Dragons to the D3 state semifinals.

Also, say a player is going for an individual record of some sort, say 1,000 points. I think the coach should allow that player to achieve that milestone.

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

I was wondering how long this would take to become banter on this site- it's another prime example of the wussification of our culture. They are teenagers- the fact that they would ask or be asked to "rest" is unreal. I couldn't imagine a great player going to a coach and saying, "hey coach, this back to back is going to be tough on me- could you please sit me tonight." Gimme a break-

The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

This isn’t about players asking for a game off. It’s about coaches sitting out players to avoid injury after the draw and before the tournament

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

You're missing the point- kids WANT to play- they WANT to play with their teammates- you cannot AVOID injuries- they will happen. This NOTION sends the absolute wrong message- IMO- you're telling a TEAM- that some are more important/ worthy than OTHERS- special treatment- just MO

25th Street NW
Varsity

Post by 25th Street NW »

What is this? The NFL!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

No.

Shouldn’t be any games between tournament draw and tournament games

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

I can’t believe this is even a thread. This is laughable.

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Post by dime-a-dozen »

Extremely Laughable! These kids only get a certain amount of opportunities to play in high school. Don’t take them from them! They are kids and can go for days! Kids play each and everyday like it’s your last! Take nothing for granted because it could be the last day you get to do what you love, we are not guaranteed tomorrow so do your very best today, leave a positive impact as players and as young men!

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Injuries happen and can at any time. You never want to see a kid get hurt, but sitting kids to avoid injuries is crazy. Maybe you sit a kid in a non league game that is trying to nurse an injury, but just sitting one hoping to avoid one is another story.

Getting Older
Riding the Bench

Post by Getting Older »

You gotta be kidding me..High school games are only 8 min qtrs.If a kid has to be off to rest he's either sick been sick or his coach doesn't have them in very good condition.

Roger Mink
Freshman Team

Post by Roger Mink »

I never would have sat a game! Only got tired in one game in my life! Chasing Aaron Skeens and Mike Adams around with 2 minutes to go in 1990 lol.

Jeep/pirate
Waterboy

Post by Jeep/pirate »

Getting Older wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:24 am You gotta be kidding me..High school games are only 8 min qtrs.If a kid has to be off to rest he's either sick been sick or his coach doesn't have them in very good condition.

👍👍👍👍

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:42 pm No.

Shouldn’t be any games between tournament draw and tournament games
Not going to happen, especially with make up games if weather gets to bad some years

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Depends on the definition of the word "rest" is.

Going into this week, 99% of the conference champions have been decided. Do I think a coach should rest players for the sake of resting them? No. However, if there is a player nursing an ankle injury or is sick, I'd consider sitting them out to get healed up for tournament time.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

My kid gets rested every game for over half the game. He should be very fresh for the tournament.

Return to “Boys Basketball”