Logan 75 Warren 56 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Logan 75 Warren 56 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 75
Warren 56 final ...

... For a team that was projected to be in a "down" year the Warren Warriors came into Jim's Gym and matched the #10 AP ranked D1 team in the state shot for shot to open what was the final game between the former SEOAL members ... Warren came into the game having graduated all but 1 starter from last season - Josh Huffman ... a starting lineup made up of 3 seniors ( one with varsity experience ... one had not played basketball at all last season, one on the JV team last season) 2 juniors (Noah Nichols/Thomas Williams no varsity experience) ... for any team with the line up Warren put on the court the terms "rebuilding, youngsters getting varsity experience, a team that is a year or two away" - the Warriors battled my #2 ranked Chieftains for 2 1/2 quarters before the talented starting 5 for Logan got the separation needed to put the BBB away ... Logan 75 Warren 56 a final ...

... Jim's Gym was a packed house for senior night with as many Warren fans as Logan fans - great atmosphere for high school hoops ... sadly this is the last game between these 2 schools on the hardwood for the foreseeable future ... I got there early for the freshmen contest that Logan won in OT , watched the JV game which went down to the last shot Warren holding on for the junior circuit "W" ... time for the rubber match , the varsity game to round out the night ... Logan started quickly with Caiden Landis drilling a three ball from the top of the key, following that up with 2 FTs to give Logan a 5-0 lead before Warren's Josh Huffman drained a triple of his own to start the WHS scoring ... the first quarter saw both teams drain 3 triples ... Josh Huffman leading the way for WHS with 10 points ... Logan's Bo Myers warmed up with 5 points ... Logan 13 Warren 13 after 1 ... Period 2 ... we started seeing the advantage that the Purple & White have over the majority of their opponents this season - 5 legitimate double digit scorers - where ever the ball gets rotated to , Logan has a scorer on the floor - a great asset to have as the opponent must account for everyone on the floor, opponents can't double team inside with the scorers on the perimeter ... advantage Logan ... 5 Chiefs found the bottom of the net in the 2nd period led by Bo Myers 9 pts (2 more triples) ... buckets were added by Coby Bell, Caiden Landis, Coby Bell and a triple by Layton Cassady ... Warren tried to keep it close with Jared Hall netting 6 points and a trey apiece by Noah Nichols and freshman Seth Dennis ... Logan 30 Warren 25 going into intermission ... Quarter 3 started out like the others with both teams playing fairly even a couple of turnovers each, 6 points each offensively ... Warren had to be happy being within 5 part way through the 3rd - thinking IF they could get into the 4th period only a couple of buckets down - they would have a chance BUT (and there is always a but) the Purple had different plans - the Chiefs went on a 20-7 run to end the quarter ... led by the 4 scorers for the LHS starting group - Bo Myers (6 pts in the qtr), Caleb Bell (8 pts), Coby Bell (7 pts), Caiden Landis (4 pts) ... too many weapons for the Warriors to defend ... by the time the 3rd ended Logan had dropped 26 points on Warren in the quarter , were 4/5 from behind the arc in the quarter (10 for 14 in the first 3 periods, at one point 9/11 from behind the arc) ... too much firepower for a youngster driven Warren club to handle and/or match ... Logan 56 Warren 38 after 3 ... most teams would have put out the white flag but this is the Warren Warriors of Coach Maddox ... WHS picked up the pressure, put Logan on the FT line , clawed back to within 10 points of the D1 Purple & White ... but as time was running out the BBB had to foul to hope Logan wouldn't shoot the 70% from the line that they appeared to do from the floor ... Logan went 11/17 from the free throw line as time wound down to push the lead back to 18 points ... Warren cleared the bench with 1:32 to play ... Logan finally withdrew the starters with :43 seconds on the clock ... Logan 75 Warren 56 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Josh Huffman 19, Jared Hall 14, Seth Dennis 11, Troy Huck 9, Noah Nichols 3
3 Pointers ... 8/15 ... Josh Huffman 3, Troy Huck 2, Noah Nichols 1, Jared Hall 1, Seth Dennis 1
FTs ..... 6/10
TOs .... 13
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
Transition points ... 5 fgs/10 points in transition

... Warren is young, have played a tough schedule for a D2 team ... Warren tonight played 10 in their rotation ... playing the #10 best D1 team in the state toe to toe for 2 1/2 quarters, then battling back from 18 points down to 10 points down ... great effort going into their postseason matchup with Logan Elm in the D2 Logan sectional next Saturday night ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Bo Myers 23, Caiden Landis 17, Caleb Bell 15, Coby Bell 15, Layton Cassady 3, Landon Little 2
3 Pointers ... 10/14 ... Bo Myers 4, Caleb Bell 3, Caiden Landis 1, Coby Bell 1, Layton Cassady 1
FTs ... 15/21
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 11fgs/22 points in the paint
Transition points ... 1 fg/2 points in transition

... Logan is hitting on all cylinders offensively ... sooooo many weapons, with every possession with good ball rotation the ball finds a scorer because they are ALL scorers of the rock from downtown ... a great problem to have LOL ... Monday the 19th, Logan takes on a historically weak Massillon Perry squad that sits at 6-14 on the season coming into this weekend ... Bo Myers is closing in on 1000 points for his career - only a junior ! should get there in the next 2 games (one the regular season finale or the first tournament game at home vs Tri Valley) ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan 75 Warren 56 a final ...

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Good stuff! Thanks for the run down.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Logan has a very nice team, probably best Logan team I’ve seen in quite sometime, maybe since the mid 90’s or earlier. Best of luck in the Central District Tournament

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Great run down, Floyd!

Between you, Craig Dunn, and Scott Vermillion I feel like I was in Jim’s Gym.

As I expected, the Warriors provided ample challenge for the purple and white.

As I hoped, Logan rose to the challenge and executed at a high level. When Logan has a 3rd (or 4th) scorer in a night, they are tough to beat. All D1 foes the rest of the way - including a battle tested Perry team on Monday followed by the MVL champs.

20 wins in sight and that’s a heck of an achievement if they can get there.

Coach Maddox still one of the best in the business. Expect the Warriors to be back at the Convo sending opponents home or making them sweat.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Hats off to Logan, clearly the better team and here’s to them making some noise in their tourney. Can’t really take much out of a double digit loss like that but hopefully playing up there will prepare them next week against Logan Elm. Go Blue!

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I was reading some "takes" on the other Logan vs Warren thread ... posters were saying that the "Big Bad Blue were down" due to the spread in last nights game vs Logan ??? Warren is not as experienced as they have been in the past , they play 10 , with lots of underclassmen ... are they are talented as years past - probably not ... are they a good, high school basketball team ? absolutely ! ... imo last nights game wasn't a reflection of Warren being not as good as in the past BUT just how good this Logan team IS ! ... the Purple are #10 in D1 in the state for a reason - they are good ! not deep - only 7 deep, not Team Big BUT they have all the pieces that make for an excellent basketball TEAM :

1. 4 scorers of the ball - Landis, Myers, Coby Bell, Caleb Bell from the starting rotation
2. Bo Myers will be a 1000 point scorer in the next 2 games ONLY a junior
3. 2 bigs in Myers (6-5) & Landis (6-7)
4. Most teams are happy if they can find 2 scorers /Logan has 4 ! scorers who do it from the perimeter, who can ALL get to the rim
5. Logan with good ball rotation has a scorer end up with the ball in their hands - that extra pass will always find a scorer
6. 4 scorers means fewer double teams on the inside, which opens up the paint for all 4 scorers and the extra pass in the paint
7. the Purple plays great Defense at every position
8. Logan has 3 of the best role players anywhere - Brooks (defense, ball distribution, can score when left alone) , Cassady is a 5th double digit scorer (off the bench will get you 3-4 triples and double digit scoring from the bench) , Little - outstanding defender vs anyone size doesn't matter

Logan is(will be) a 20+ win team for a reason, they are my #2 team in the SEOhio District , you can make a legitimate argument that the Purple is the #1 team Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... Warren, the Big Bad Blue down ? they played toe to toe with Logan for 2 1/2 quarters when Logan was hitting over 70% of their shots - Warren was hitting over 50% of their shots at the same time and still losing ground ... Logan buried Warren with 4/5 triples in the 3rd quarter going up by 18 points - Warren "unburied" itself, clawing back to within 10 points ... Logan is THAT good, Warren is GOOD as well ... Coach Maddox's words long before the current season started "we are 1 to 2 years away" ... last night's performance showed Logan IS there, Warren IS still a year or two away BUT the current crop of 1 senior with experience, 1 senior who did not play last year, 1 senior who is playing out of position at PG, 2 juniors, throw in the sophomores/freshmen who ARE getting varsity experience in the 10 man rotation ... THIS Warrior TEAM decided that THIS IS the BBB , WE have tradition, WE have PRIDE, WE will get the job done on the court NOW - WE don't have 1-2 years, WE have NOW - this group has taken to heart what Coach Maddox, Coach Coffman, Coach Colegrove, Coach Mitchem tell them, teach them, they execute it on the court as a TEAM ... TEAMS are always GOOD ! Warren IS good ...

Braves87
Freshman Team

Post by Braves87 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:25 am Logan 75
Warren 56 final ...

... For a team that was projected to be in a "down" year the Warren Warriors came into Jim's Gym and matched the #10 AP ranked D1 team in the state shot for shot to open what was the final game between the former SEOAL members ... Warren came into the game having graduated all but 1 starter from last season - Josh Huffman ... a starting lineup made up of 3 seniors ( one with varsity experience ... one had not played basketball at all last season, one on the JV team last season) 2 juniors (Noah Nichols/Thomas Williams no varsity experience) ... for any team with the line up Warren put on the court the terms "rebuilding, youngsters getting varsity experience, a team that is a year or two away" - the Warriors battled my #2 ranked Chieftains for 2 1/2 quarters before the talented starting 5 for Logan got the separation needed to put the BBB away ... Logan 75 Warren 56 a final ...

... Jim's Gym was a packed house for senior night with as many Warren fans as Logan fans - great atmosphere for high school hoops ... sadly this is the last game between these 2 schools on the hardwood for the foreseeable future ... I got there early for the freshmen contest that Logan won in OT , watched the JV game which went down to the last shot Warren holding on for the junior circuit "W" ... time for the rubber match , the varsity game to round out the night ... Logan started quickly with Caiden Landis drilling a three ball from the top of the key, following that up with 2 FTs to give Logan a 5-0 lead before Warren's Josh Huffman drained a triple of his own to start the WHS scoring ... the first quarter saw both teams drain 3 triples ... Josh Huffman leading the way for WHS with 10 points ... Logan's Bo Myers warmed up with 5 points ... Logan 13 Warren 13 after 1 ... Period 2 ... we started seeing the advantage that the Purple & White have over the majority of their opponents this season - 5 legitimate double digit scorers - where ever the ball gets rotated to , Logan has a scorer on the floor - a great asset to have as the opponent must account for everyone on the floor, opponents can't double team inside with the scorers on the perimeter ... advantage Logan ... 5 Chiefs found the bottom of the net in the 2nd period led by Bo Myers 9 pts (2 more triples) ... buckets were added by Coby Bell, Caiden Landis, Coby Bell and a triple by Layton Cassady ... Warren tried to keep it close with Jared Hall netting 6 points and a trey apiece by Noah Nichols and freshman Seth Dennis ... Logan 30 Warren 25 going into intermission ... Quarter 3 started out like the others with both teams playing fairly even a couple of turnovers each, 6 points each offensively ... Warren had to be happy being within 5 part way through the 3rd - thinking IF they could get into the 4th period only a couple of buckets down - they would have a chance BUT (and there is always a but) the Purple had different plans - the Chiefs went on a 20-7 run to end the quarter ... led by the 4 scorers for the LHS starting group - Bo Myers (6 pts in the qtr), Caleb Bell (8 pts), Coby Bell (7 pts), Caiden Landis (4 pts) ... too many weapons for the Warriors to defend ... by the time the 3rd ended Logan had dropped 26 points on Warren in the quarter , were 4/5 from behind the arc in the quarter (10 for 14 in the first 3 periods, at one point 9/11 from behind the arc) ... too much firepower for a youngster driven Warren club to handle and/or match ... Logan 56 Warren 38 after 3 ... most teams would have put out the white flag but this is the Warren Warriors of Coach Maddox ... WHS picked up the pressure, put Logan on the FT line , clawed back to within 10 points of the D1 Purple & White ... but as time was running out the BBB had to foul to hope Logan wouldn't shoot the 70% from the line that they appeared to do from the floor ... Logan went 11/17 from the free throw line as time wound down to push the lead back to 18 points ... Warren cleared the bench with 1:32 to play ... Logan finally withdrew the starters with :43 seconds on the clock ... Logan 75 Warren 56 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Josh Huffman 19, Jared Hall 14, Seth Dennis 11, Troy Huck 9, Noah Nichols 3
3 Pointers ... 8/15 ... Josh Huffman 3, Troy Huck 2, Noah Nichols 1, Jared Hall 1, Seth Dennis 1
FTs ..... 6/10
TOs .... 13
PnP ... 13 fgs/26 points in the paint
Transition points ... 5 fgs/10 points in transition

... Warren is young, have played a tough schedule for a D2 team ... Warren tonight played 10 in their rotation ... playing the #10 best D1 team in the state toe to toe for 2 1/2 quarters, then battling back from 18 points down to 10 points down ... great effort going into their postseason matchup with Logan Elm in the D2 Logan sectional next Saturday night ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Bo Myers 23, Caiden Landis 17, Caleb Bell 15, Coby Bell 15, Layton Cassady 3, Landon Little 2
3 Pointers ... 10/14 ... Bo Myers 4, Caleb Bell 3, Caiden Landis 1, Coby Bell 1, Layton Cassady 1
FTs ... 15/21
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 11fgs/22 points in the paint
Transition points ... 1 fg/2 points in transition

... Logan is hitting on all cylinders offensively ... sooooo many weapons, with every possession with good ball rotation the ball finds a scorer because they are ALL scorers of the rock from downtown ... a great problem to have LOL ... Monday the 19th, Logan takes on a historically weak Massillon Perry squad that sits at 6-14 on the season coming into this weekend ... Bo Myers is closing in on 1000 points for his career - only a junior ! should get there in the next 2 games (one the regular season finale or the first tournament game at home vs Tri Valley) ...

Pfloyd, I don't want you to miss the LE game next week. It's on Friday night not Saturday night lol. I know it was probably a typo, just didn't want you to be sitting in the cheap seats on the wrong night lol!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... LOL Braves87 I'll be in the Cheap Seats both nights so I won't miss any of the action no matter who's playing LOL ... when gets to be the Post Season all I know for sure is where I'm going, when I need to be there, if I have my Napkin Stat sheets, my twizzlers and a couple of waters LOL ... thanks for keeping me straight !

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Very impressive way of winning

I feel Logan is #1 team in the SE district

i83
Freshman Team

Post by i83 »

Logan my vote for number 1.

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

One of the best teams I’ve seen in years, Go Logan!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:55 pm ... I was reading some "takes" on the other Logan vs Warren thread ... posters were saying that the "Big Bad Blue were down" due to the spread in last nights game vs Logan ??? Warren is not as experienced as they have been in the past , they play 10 , with lots of underclassmen ... are they are talented as years past - probably not ... are they a good, high school basketball team ? absolutely ! ... imo last nights game wasn't a reflection of Warren being not as good as in the past BUT just how good this Logan team IS !
I also would say that the attitude toward Warren is really just a huge complement to the Warrior program.

This may be a "down" team for Warren - but again, they're going to win a boatload of games and give every team on their schedule (and every team in the second season) a run for their money.

It reminds me of the mid-2000s, when a "down" Logan football program would go 8-2 and win the SEOAL with a perfect slate. They were "down" by the standards of the program, but dang, if those are the lean years you've really built something.

"Those were the daaays...."

Congrats to Coach Maddox, his staff, his kids, and the community who supports them all. Still doing it the right way.

Return to “Boys Basketball”