Rules that the OHSAA should get rid of???

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Rules that the OHSAA should get rid of???

Post by thebarlowbandit »

mlittle wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:12 pm
carbon_dated wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 am Get rid of the Euro-step
the Euro step isn’t traveling so why would u get rid of it? You’d have to ban basically every move the offensive player has to avoid the defender.
Because this is Murcia’ we don’t need no fancy European moves.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:12 pm
the Euro step isn’t traveling so why would u get rid of it? You’d have to ban basically every move the offensive player has to avoid the defender.
Because this is Murcia’ we don’t need no fancy European moves.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

I'd like to see fouls actually called when they occur. I don't want to watch them beat on each other and I certainly don't think most kids enjoy playing like that. Too many officials just don't want to blow their whistle these days.

Prepper
Waterboy

Post by Prepper »

watermeloncrawl wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 am
BigChuck wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 am
Prepper wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 am Honestly, I don't think you should be taken out of the game after 5 fouls. Some schools are put at a disadvantage by this due to having a small roster and not having any subs. Its just high school basketball, not the NBA.
That's the whole freaking idea! Play good defense and you are not in this situation. You must be one of those people that feels each kid should get a 2 foot trophy for simply showing up. GEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!!
i agree man people like this on the preps are just stupid
People like you just judge others for their opinions! Take a look in the mirror and then you'll see someone who doesn't belong on the preps! :evil:

PheasantBreeder
Waterboy

Post by PheasantBreeder »

Honestly implement some form of play clock, whether it be 35 or 40, I feel that it would bring a slightly more fast-paced feel to the game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Thinking back on this year, in 40+ varsity games that I've seen, maybe 30 have had even one possession last over 40 seconds and those would nearly all be at the end of a quarter. But, if you've been to a game at Unioto recently, you know that we couldn't do a shot clock, because our clock breaks once a night lol

I used to be all for the charge circle, but that just adds even more that needs to be seen that I no longer think it is necessary either.

PheasantBreeder
Waterboy

Post by PheasantBreeder »

That's not a rule pal. Its a move.

watermeloncrawl
Waterboy

Post by watermeloncrawl »

Prepper wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:07 am

That's the whole freaking idea! Play good defense and you are not in this situation. You must be one of those people that feels each kid should get a 2 foot trophy for simply showing up. GEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!!
People like you just judge others for their opinions! Take a look in the mirror and then you'll see someone who doesn't belong on the preps! :evil:
yeah you dont belong on preps!!!!!!!!

Ol' Bud
Waterboy

Post by Ol' Bud »

Prepper wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:07 am

That comment was completely out of line man

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Go back to allowing arm bars in the post and get rid of this "displacement" garbage where some officials call fouls for "boxing out".

Reckon96
Waterboy

Post by Reckon96 »

Allow pre game dunking. It's fun for fans to see. Also, let players roll their shorts. It's unfair for a 5'10 player get stuck with XL shorts and have them be sagging to his shins.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Prepper wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 am Honestly, I don't think you should be taken out of the game after 5 fouls. Some schools are put at a disadvantage by this due to having a small roster and not having any subs. Its just high school basketball, not the NBA.
Exactly, if it was the NBA they would get 6 fouls

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jr High = 24 min and 5 fouls
Freshman = 24 min and 5 fouls
JV = 24-28 min and 5 fouls
Varsity = 32 min and 5 fouls
College = 40 min and 5 fouls
NBA = 48 min and 6 fouls

Seems like the perfect development to me as players learn how to play defense correctly per how to avoid fouling too much.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Double dribble -- Any time the ball hits the floor after touching the hand(s) of a player and is gathered back by that player without anyone else touching it, and then the player dribbles, it should be called double dribble. Now the currently in vogue way to call it, most of the time, is to not call it. Players are getting used to receiving the ball by letting it glance off their hands down to the floor and re-adjusting their feet as it bounces back up into their hands, then starting their move by dribbling -- should be double dribble. It should not matter if the regathering is due ineptness in being able to gather it initially, or by cunning, it all should be called double dribble.

Walking -- not called strict enough on its own volition. But called too much instead of a foul when the player with the ball is displaced by an opponent when in possession of the ball.

Fouls -- not enough called on offensive players when they move into defenders, on the floor, or in the air, and displace the defender, either by no calls or worse, calling the foul on the defender

Change the fouls for bonus shots on non shooting fouls to a quarterly basis, 1 &1 on 4th and 5th of each quarter. Gives a chance to use more defensive strategies in a half. Can try to press in the 3rd qtr without being hamstrung by the opposition being in bonus for the rest of the game if it doesn't work out very well.

Call a foul a foul and let the teams and players adjust. I heard a coach on the radio anticipate that his opponent goes into the game figuring they will foul 40 times, but the officials will only call 20. The teams that are deep usually do this kind of thing. Fairness is not in a shot clock, but in retaining the 5 sec call and allowing a less deep team to be able to possess the ball with good ball handling to protect their players by playing defense a smaller percentage of the game.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

If more fouls are allowed before disqualification, then it just increases the number of fouls the officials have to call before the players and teams adjust.

I would like to see an extra foul given for each overtime(except for anyone who has been assessed a technical), but if a player commits a 6th foul in OT, or 7th in double OT, etc, whether it is player control or illegal pick, the opponent gets two FTs and retains possession.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

PheasantBreeder wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 am
I believe this move IS a travel at the high school level. On a typical layup a player picks up the dribble and takes a right-left then jumps to shoot. The right foot is the pivot foot and is allowed to be picked up to shoot since the left foot is already on the ground before the right is picked up. The Eurostep on the other hand is a change of direction where the right-left has a jump from the right to the left. The jump is what makes this move illegal. The player is picking up his pivot foot to jump to his other foot, which is not allowed. A player may only pick up his pivot foot to pass or shoot or to jump from his pivot foot and land on both feet simultaneously. Neither is happening in the case of the Eurostep, unless the sidestep is done prior to the pivot foot being picked up.

The move is allowed in the NBA, but not in the high school game.

Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

Play by the rules that are there. Don't baby the kids by giving them extra fouls or keeping them in the game even after 5 fouls. That is what makes basketball such a great game...the rules that you need to obey in order to be successful at the game. Maybe we should give every player a State Championship before the season starts and a big Participation Trophy so that no one gets their feelings hurt during the season. Learn to play by the rules and be the best you can be and be proud of your accomplishments that you earn, not an accomplishment you were given.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

carbon_dated wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:41 pm
I believe this move IS a travel at the high school level. On a typical layup a player picks up the dribble and takes a right-left then jumps to shoot. The right foot is the pivot foot and is allowed to be picked up to shoot since the left foot is already on the ground before the right is picked up. The Eurostep on the other hand is a change of direction where the right-left has a jump from the right to the left. The jump is what makes this move illegal. The player is picking up his pivot foot to jump to his other foot, which is not allowed. A player may only pick up his pivot foot to pass or shoot or to jump from his pivot foot and land on both feet simultaneously. Neither is happening in the case of the Eurostep, unless the sidestep is done prior to the pivot foot being picked up.

It’s the exact same amount of steps. One going forward and one lateral. Not traveling in any league

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

mlittle wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:51 pm
carbon_dated wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:41 pm

It’s the exact same amount of steps. One going forward and one lateral. Not traveling in any league

Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

One forward and one lateral equals 2 steps without a dribble which is considered a travelling violation. Eurostep or halfback hitting the hole or an NBA lay-up from top of the key, whatever you want to call it, the rule book calls it a travelling violation and that is how it should be called. They allow a lot of stuff in the NBA (Not Basketball Anymore) that is not allowed in the high school level.

Return to “Boys Basketball”