Rules that the OHSAA should get rid of???

farmer8
Riding the Bench

Rules that the OHSAA should get rid of???

Post by farmer8 »

Any suggestions for basketball????

WHOS YOUR FARMER?????
formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Rules that the OHSAA should get rid of???

Post by formerfcfan »

NFHS, in my fan opinion, should allow pre-game dunking. Which, in turn, could mean OHSAA would allow pre-game dunking.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Didn't the NCAA get rid of the 5 count?

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

The only way to get rid of the five count is to have a shot clock.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I'd like to see them get rid of the "over the back" foul that I hear fans calling for a 1,000x a game.

Yep, get rid of pre-game dunking, break a rim and/or backboard pregame. Would be a great fan experience!

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Dont get rid of any rule, but please for the love of all things holy, bring back the palming the basketball call and jump stop then pivot then pass that never gets called anymore!

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

here is a couple they should add, 45 sec. shot clock, and the half circle line to determine a charge that is taken to far under the rim, not sure what its called but that would help a little on if the player is above that line taking a charge

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

falconbball wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:01 pm here is a couple they should add, 45 sec. shot clock, and the half circle line to determine a charge that is taken to far under the rim, not sure what its called but that would help a little on if the player is above that line taking a charge
Heck while we are at it, lets just keep adding lines behind the 3 point line, we could have a 4 point line, a 5 point line and a spot in the backcourt where if you hit a floor length shot your team automatically wins the game!

I dare you to name more than 1 or 2 games a season where someone used a Carolina 4 corner stall unless at the end of a quarter or the end of a game, so a shot clock is worthless!

Jeeps22
Waterboy

Post by Jeeps22 »

Jr high boys using a 28.5 ball let them use the 29.5, also allowing more than two people per travel team.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

OHSAA needs to add more time to JV games. 6 minute quarters is not fair to those kids. Not sure what Kentucky does, but West Virginia and Indiana both play full 32 minute games.

The closely guarded rule could go away. It is called so inconsistently anyways. It isn't an "arms length away" as I hear so much. It's 6 feet! Which is much more than an arm length.

Keep the restricted arc area out of high school basketball. There is a lot more going on in that rule than just the arc. Knowing where the drive started, whether the defender was a primary or secondary defender, etc all goes into determining whether the restricted area applies.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

golfis4me wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm OHSAA needs to add more time to JV games. 6 minute quarters is not fair to those kids. Not sure what Kentucky does, but West Virginia and Indiana both play full 32 minute games.

The closely guarded rule could go away. It is called so inconsistently anyways. It isn't an "arms length away" as I hear so much. It's 6 feet! Which is much more than an arm length.

Keep the restricted arc area out of high school basketball. There is a lot more going on in that rule than just the arc. Knowing where the drive started, whether the defender was a primary or secondary defender, etc all goes into determining whether the restricted area applies.
you can play 7 minutes if you want but they recommend 6 minutes quarters

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

falconbball wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:01 pm here is a couple they should add, 45 sec. shot clock, and the half circle line to determine a charge that is taken to far under the rim, not sure what its called but that would help a little on if the player is above that line taking a charge
If I was a coach I would like the half arc line Would help with rebounding Inside the arc you can not get many rebounds

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

king kong wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:10 pm Dont get rid of any rule, but please for the love of all things holy, bring back the palming the basketball call and jump stop then pivot then pass that never gets called anymore!
Jump stop and pivot ? That's just good fundamental basketball imo.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

When a player goes to the hoop taking 2 steps then lands it should be a travelling call. This so called jump stop off your own dribble/euro step is a crock. Also KY allows dunking in pre game and rims are not broken.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:05 pm Yep, get rid of pre-game dunking, break a rim and/or backboard pregame. Would be a great fan experience!
What an interesting(ly obtuse) position to take.

The frequency of rims being broken, be it from a pre-game or in-game dunk, is astronomically low. I guess the solution to the problem (that doesn’t exist) is to ban dunking altogether.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

N2Hoops wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:49 pm
king kong wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:10 pm Dont get rid of any rule, but please for the love of all things holy, bring back the palming the basketball call and jump stop then pivot then pass that never gets called anymore!

Jump Stop With Prior Possession -
Start from the example above...drive down the lane, step/jump off of one leg and then come to land on two feet.

A) Gather in Air - This is when you are dribbling the ball and gather it in the air off of the step. From there, you can land on both feet, then move one of the feet to step into a shot or pass.

B) Gather on Step - This is when you gather the ball on the first step (the step into the jump stop). From there, you can't take any steps because you have taken two already - one to get into the air and then two when you landed on both feet. The next movement has to be up to take a shot.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

make every fan take a 10 hour coarse on the rules, some of the refs can attend also

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

king kong wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 pm
N2Hoops wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:49 pm

Jump Stop With Prior Possession -
Start from the example above...drive down the lane, step/jump off of one leg and then come to land on two feet.

A) Gather in Air - This is when you are dribbling the ball and gather it in the air off of the step. From there, you can land on both feet, then move one of the feet to step into a shot or pass.

B) Gather on Step - This is when you gather the ball on the first step (the step into the jump stop). From there, you can't take any steps because you have taken two already - one to get into the air and then two when you landed on both feet. The next movement has to be up to take a shot.

Agreed.

hitman 23
Waterboy

Post by hitman 23 »

Buckeye_storm wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm Jr high boys using a 28.5 ball let them use the 29.5, also allowing more than two people per travel team.
i totally agree with the ball. That is CRAZY

hitman 23
Waterboy

Post by hitman 23 »

i personally agree with the half circle line for sure

Return to “Boys Basketball”