Vinton County 69 Athens 60 OT a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Vinton County 69 Athens 60 OT a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County 69
Athens 60 OT final

... tonight's game between Athens & Vinton County was the 3rd of the season, the rubber match game as Vinton County took game 1 74-63, Athens evened the regular season series with a 54-51 decision AT VC ... Vinton County entered the game as healthy as they have been all year as tonight's starting lineup has been on the floor together for maybe 3-4 games ALL season ... Athens entered tonight contest with a 9 game win streak, playing with a lot of confidence and no fear in taking on the Vikings of Vinton County ...

... both teams opened the game with solid first quarter performances as Athen's BIGS Eli Chubb (7 pts) and Justin Hynes (4 pts) set the tone for Athens with PGs Micah Saltzman and Elijah Williams adding a bucket each for the Bulldogs ... for Vinton County Coach Combs got solid minutes in the opening period from Cameron Hammon who put up 8 first quarter points for VC , the VC big man got air support from Jake Speakman and Naylan Yates as both dropped a triple in the opening stanza ... Vinton County 16 Athens 15 after 1 ... the 2nd quarter had Vinton County getting a little separation as the VC defense turned the dawgs over 5 times and Jake Speakman was able to get into the paint for 2 at the rim buckets to go with Naylan Yates and Cameron Hammon's 2 points each ... Logan Maxfield who found the going tough in the opening period found the range netting 5 points for AHS in the 2nd ... Vinton County 28 Athens 23 at the half ... the 3rd period had Athens coming out the locker room determined to get the ball down low - the first 3 trips had the ball in the paint to Eli Chubb who finished at the rim for 7 pts in the period, Micah Saltzman stayed aggressive offensively adding a triple (5pts) in the period ... Vinton County countered with Naylan Yates - 12 points in the 3rd including a couple of triples ... Hammon added 2 more buckets down low for VC ... Vinton County 46 Athens 38 after 3 ... as the 4th period unfolded the Bulldogs turned up the pressure forcing 5 4th quarter VC turnovers - Justin Hynes scored 7 points, Isaiah Butcher who had no fg's entering the 4th added 2 buckets, Logan Maxfield dropped 5 points ... in all Athens scored 20 points while holding VC to 10 points in the period ... both teams had an opportunity to win in regulation, but as usual a key napkin stat to look at at crunch time is FT's ... Athens went 4/10 in the 4th, missing 2 crucial FTs with 7.6 seconds to play that would have given AHS the lead ... VC wasn't much better hitting on only 6 of 11 fourth quarter charity stripe attempts ... Athens 58 Vinton County 58 after regulation ... as good as the first 4 periods were the OT period was anti-climatic as Jake Speakman put the Bulldogs dreams of heading to the Convo next week to rest as the smooth VC PG opened the OT with a three ball and a drive to the rim ... a 5-0 start that Athens could not match ... Speakman ended with 8 points in the OT, with Naylan Yates adding 3 for good measure ... Vinton County 69 Athens 60 OT final ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens ...

Scoring ...Eli Chubb 16, Logan Maxfield 12, Justin Hynes 11, Micah Saltzman 10, Isaiah Butcher 5, Henry Gerig 4, Elijah Williams 2
3 Pointers ... 3/17 ... Micah Saltzman 1, Eli Chubb 1, Logan Maxfield 1
FTs .... 9/20 ...
TOs ... 16
PnP ... 17fgs/34 points in the paint
Transition Points ... 2fgs/4 pts

... good season for the Bulldogs once the TEAM bought into Coach Cozart's philosophy of going through the BIGS - Chubb, Hynes/Butcher ... Athens will be back as 50 of the 60 points return for the Bulldogs next season ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Vinton County ...

Scoring ....Naylan Yates 24, Jake Speakman 22, Cameron Hammon 17, Nevan Yates 4, Eli Griffith 2
3 Pointers ... 5/14 ... Naylan Yates 3, Jake Speakman 2
FTs ..... 19/31
TOs .... 12
PnP ... 17fgs/34 points in the paint
Transition Points ... 4fgs/8 points in transition

... it was good to see all of the pieces for Vinton County on the floor ... Naylan Yates & Jake Speakman the VC dynamic duo put up 46 points , had all 5 triples, scored all 11 points in OT for Vinton County ... a great game by senior big man - Cameron Hammon adding 17 points and 3 BIG putback buckets in that opening period ... best of luck next week at the Convo ...

bman
SEO

Re: Vinton County 69 Athens 60 OT a final ...

Post by bman »

Folks, this is high school sports and not life and death.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

bman wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:08 am Folks, this is high school sports and not life and death.
As much as I have enjoyed the Zbulldogs this year and look forward to see what transporters next year age has nothing to do with all the missed free throws. Especially at critical times. Athens battled and pushed it to the end as many thought they would.

Chubb played well and I felt like he could have added more but kept getting taken out after a turnover. He wasn’t the only one turning the ball over though. Think they had 17 or more, right?

As far as age, isn’t Hynes 18? So won’t he be 19 as well next year? I thought i heard that at the beginning of the season at some point. So any other team could say the same thing if Athens.

Thought Saltzman and Maxfield played well. Good penetration for both but just a few shots fell short or rimmed out. They were pushing two players st the top and constantly switching to take them out of the equation. Plus always put one man back to take away any transition opportunities.

Kudos to the three seniors for Vinton. Yates, Speakman and Hammons. They definitely capped off the third quarter and OT with a strong showing. Yates is a playoff showcase as he always has been. He should get POY. Speakman a close second.

Again free throws were the only difference or lack there of in the final minutes.

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

Wow what a game! Well the parts of the game I watched. I watched the last min turned around backwards in my seat and the overtime from the lobby, lol. It was a battle for both teams, and neither team would have wanted the game to be any other way. Big game for Cameron, if I remember correctly he also had some really big games this time last year. Good player, nice footwork and hook shot.( ok total sidenote: he looks exactly like Tyler Sayer that graduated from Trimble a few years ago, I mean they could be twins!) Naylan, is Naylan, smooth and makes things look effortless at times. He is a great kid, from a great family and I look for him to do big things at OU. Nevan will continue the Yates name at Vinton county and will be a force to be reckoned with next year. Big Bryce, such a sweet guy. Loved watching him play since he was little, and I think he was this big in elementary school as now.

And now my favorite Viking, Jake. We could not be prouder of him and all of his accomplishments on and off the court. Jake has the ability to get to the rim with force, take a defender off the dribble and his undying love for the game and his teammates is contagious. Jake will put a team on his back and carry them where ever they need to go, even if it kills him. Big things in the future for this kid. Much love to him, from his Athens family, you are like one of my own!

As you can see this old mom is very sappy this morning. I think many people don't understand that these two programs at the core have much respect and love for each other. I hate that the two TVC teams had to play each other off the bat. Now the Athens fans will transition to Vikings fans, and give support for the rest of their journey this year.

This is high school basketball, and it is made up of children growing and playing a game they love. As adults we should be supporting them in their efforts. As a parent this time goes by so fast and it is so hard to think this chapter in their lives have closed for some. Big shout out to everyone who has supported my family,the multiple calls, emails and texts from everyone when Dalton went down and was injured this year. My best advice for parents who have children just starting this sports journey in high school. Look for the positives in each situation, be supportive of your own without being degrading of others, and sorry, stay off of social media . Other people's opinion of you and your family is none of your business. That was the best advice received last year from a former coach to me. Although I have met some great people from on here as well and have enjoyed their friendship!

Off to pack the house for our move, see you all at the convo, for this is the most wonderful time of the year! Go Vikes!

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

sportsmom20 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:56 am Wow what a game! Well the parts of the game I watched. I watched the last min turned around backwards in my seat and the overtime from the lobby, lol. It was a battle for both teams, and neither team would have wanted the game to be any other way. Big game for Cameron, if I remember correctly he also had some really big games this time last year. Good player, nice footwork and hook shot.( ok total sidenote: he looks exactly like Tyler Sayer that graduated from Trimble a few years ago, I mean they could be twins!) Naylan, is Naylan, smooth and makes things look effortless at times. He is a great kid, from a great family and I look for him to do big things at OU. Nevan will continue the Yates name at Vinton county and will be a force to be reckoned with next year. Big Bryce, such a sweet guy. Loved watching him play since he was little, and I think he was this big in elementary school as now.

And now my favorite Viking, Jake. We could not be prouder of him and all of his accomplishments on and off the court. Jake has the ability to get to the rim with force, take a defender off the dribble and his undying love for the game and his teammates is contagious. Jake will put a team on his back and carry them where ever they need to go, even if it kills him. Big things in the future for this kid. Much love to him, from his Athens family, you are like one of my own!

As you can see this old mom is very sappy this morning. I think many people don't understand that these two programs at the core have much respect and love for each other. I hate that the two TVC teams had to play each other off the bat. Now the Athens fans will transition to Vikings fans, and give support for the rest of their journey this year.

This is high school basketball, and it is made up of children growing and playing a game they love. As adults we should be supporting them in their efforts. As a parent this time goes by so fast and it is so hard to think this chapter in their lives have closed for some. Big shout out to everyone who has supported my family,the multiple calls, emails and texts from everyone when Dalton went down and was injured this year. My best advice for parents who have children just starting this sports journey in high school. Look for the positives in each situation, be supportive of your own without being degrading of others, and sorry, stay off of social media . Other people's opinion of you and your family is none of your business. That was the best advice received last year from a former coach to me. Although I have met some great people from on here as well and have enjoyed their friendship!

Off to pack the house for our move, see you all at the convo, for this is the most wonderful time of the year! Go Vikes!
Heck of a game by your hubby coach. Well called especially for the chance to win. Free throws were the dagger but gave them a chance. On a positive note, what an exciting turnaround and I hope he is relishing the fact that he has players like Hynes, Maxfield and Williams coming back. Sets him up pretty good next year to be a huge force in the TVC, outside the TVC and going into next years playoffs. Enjoy the time off and good luck in your move.

NYHSGradOldTimer
Waterboy

Post by NYHSGradOldTimer »

It's been a thrill and an honor to watch the Bulldogs this season! I'm excited for next year, already! What a great group of hard-working kids! I especially look forward to watching Eli Chubb next year...might be a little biased. 😉 Those kids fought hard to win that game last night, but VC was on fire with their shots. Either way, great season and much respect to your family. 🏀👏

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

I bet if hynes got held back he would’ve made those foul shots.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad that I stayed up until after 1am to get this game rundown completed so it would give people yet "another" thread to bash kids, teams, coaches, schools ... (speaking louder) THAT IS NOT WHY I DO WHAT I DO FOLKS !!! IF YOU WANT TO TRASH A KID AND/OR SCHOOL TAKE IT TO YOUR OWN THREAD !!! (calmer tone) I respect ALL comers even if I don't agree with what they post ... I respect NO ONE who finds a way to openly, backhandedly attack/trash/put down a player, coach, school, program ... feel free to PM each other, meet in an alley but stay off of MY thread ... when people see a game rundown by pfloyd - it's all about the game - not trashing kids, coaches or schools ...

I apologize to anyone who came to this thread hoping to see good back and forth about THE best game of last night's contests - BOTH teams had the opportunity to get the W ... FT's were the key both ways - Athens in the 4th period could have sealed the deal ... VC throughout the game had many FT opportunities to end this one in regulation BUT (and there is ALWAYS a but) it didn't happen that way, it ended up being Jake Speakman having enough "gas left in the tank" to hit the 3 ball to start the OT, get into the paint to the rim to put VC up by 5 in the OT ... AHS had to foul, JS hit 3/4 FTs in OT... Athens had to foul, Athens had to take the treys in OT to try to get back into the game - they didn't fall ... excellent game by 2 good teams - both not having the regular season they had hoped for - VC with a season long injury merry-go-round , Athens taking half the season to "find" the identity that fit the personnel they had on the floor - the Bulldogs return Elijah William PG, Eli Chubb/Logan Maxfield/Justin Hynes/Isaiah Butcher /Henry Gerig - ALL have at least 1 season of varsity experience, Coach Cozart has established the Bulldog's identity for next year ... the Dawgs are 9-1 "under" this identity ... nothing but good things ahead for the Bulldogs in the season to come ...

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Good run down pfloyd!

I'll look forward to your run down of today's action, hopefully one for the Logan-Tri Valley game?? LOL, won't be able to listen tonight, so that's something I can look forward to.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Good recap

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am ... I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad that I stayed up until after 1am to get this game rundown completed so it would give people yet "another" thread to bash kids, teams, coaches, schools ... (speaking louder) THAT IS NOT WHY I DO WHAT I DO FOLKS !!! IF YOU WANT TO TRASH A KID AND/OR SCHOOL TAKE IT TO YOUR OWN THREAD !!! (calmer tone) I respect ALL comers even if I don't agree with what they post ... I respect NO ONE who finds a way to openly, backhandedly attack/trash/put down a player, coach, school, program ... feel free to PM each other, meet in an alley but stay off of MY thread ... when people see a game rundown by pfloyd - it's all about the game - not trashing kids, coaches or schools ...

I apologize to anyone who came to this thread hoping to see good back and forth about THE best game of last night's contests - BOTH teams had the opportunity to get the W ... FT's were the key both ways - Athens in the 4th period could have sealed the deal ... VC throughout the game had many FT opportunities to end this one in regulation BUT (and there is ALWAYS a but) it didn't happen that way, it ended up being Jake Speakman having enough "gas left in the tank" to hit the 3 ball to start the OT, get into the paint to the rim to put VC up by 5 in the OT ... AHS had to foul, JS hit 3/4 FTs in OT... Athens had to foul, Athens had to take the treys in OT to try to get back into the game - they didn't fall ... excellent game by 2 good teams - both not having the regular season they had hoped for - VC with a season long injury merry-go-round , Athens taking half the season to "find" the identity that fit the personnel they had on the floor - the Bulldogs return Elijah William PG, Eli Chubb/Logan Maxfield/Justin Hynes/Isaiah Butcher /Henry Gerig - ALL have at least 1 season of varsity experience, Coach Cozart has established the Bulldog's identity for next year ... the Dawgs are 9-1 "under" this identity ... nothing but good things ahead for the Bulldogs in the season to come ...

Well put and appreciate the information and the vantage point.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Cleaned this thread up.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
JustusLeague
Freshman Team

Post by JustusLeague »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am ... I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad that I stayed up until after 1am to get this game rundown completed so it would give people yet "another" thread to bash kids, teams, coaches, schools ... (speaking louder) THAT IS NOT WHY I DO WHAT I DO FOLKS !!! IF YOU WANT TO TRASH A KID AND/OR SCHOOL TAKE IT TO YOUR OWN THREAD !!! (calmer tone) I respect ALL comers even if I don't agree with what they post ... I respect NO ONE who finds a way to openly, backhandedly attack/trash/put down a player, coach, school, program ... feel free to PM each other, meet in an alley but stay off of MY thread ... when people see a game rundown by pfloyd - it's all about the game - not trashing kids, coaches or schools ...

That's what this forum has become, all threads, majority of posts. a joke. Good luck to VC at the convo. Combs is coach of the year. No doubt.

Sniper_Fan
Waterboy

Post by Sniper_Fan »

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:06 pm Cleaned this thread up.
Thank you for your service

The Razor
Riding the Bench

Post by The Razor »

Did someone ask you to? I'm no Athens fan, but why not let visionquest speak his mind. He did not use profanity. Why would you feel the need to clean it up? I enjoyed reading it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Razor wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:09 pm
Did someone ask you to? I'm no Athens fan, but why not let visionquest speak his mind. He did not use profanity. Why would you feel the need to clean it up? I enjoyed reading it.
He covered his thoughts ad nauseum

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

What a game!!!! I knew the Vikings and coach Combs would be ready!!! What a game by Hammon---looks as if the Vikings should have used its big men more this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”