GAHS vs Fairfield Union 3/1

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: GAHS vs Fairfield Union 3/1

Post by pfloyd »

... great game to watch tonight - Gallia has an excellent group of perimeter players who can get into the paint and are strong getting to the rim to finish ... as far as having Loveday in the high post ? I thought it was an excellent move in getting Woodside OUT OF THE PAINT ... getting him up high allowed the Gallia perimeter players to get into the paint and NOT have to deal with the 6-5 Woodside ... I thought it was a really good move by the GA staff ... the times Loveday DID go down low - he did a great job getting/holding his position vs Woodside - the problem was the ball never was fed to him ! on 3 -4 occasions opportunities were missed getting him the ball ... great game to watch from the Cheap Seats imo ...

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Loveday wasn't going to get in on the stout Woodside so they kept him outside to allow guards to drive the basket and shoot perimeter shots. Strategy was working as two underclass non-starters hit two perimeter baskets to give Gallia a 39-34 lead early in the 4th qtr. However the perimeter shooting cooled off from then until McClelland drained the trey with 9 secs left on a beautiful play to cut it to 47-46.

As an illustration of the typical officiating in this game, I describe a play that happened early in the 3rd qtr: Woodside got the ball about 10-12' away from the basket on the left edge of the paint and drove to the left side of the basket. When he went up he obviously jumped way to the right initiating heavy contact with Loveday's body, so much so that he lost balance of himself and the shot went awry high off the glass and Gallia got the rebound. The wrong call, but the one often made, is to call a foul on the defensive player, with the fair call being either a foul on the offensive player or a no call, which is the way it went. I was very impressed that the officials did not fall prey to rewarding offensive contact initiators.

falconbball
Riding the Bench

Post by falconbball »

glock_block wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:49 pm Fairfield union who. Gallia by 50
hmmmm, re thinking that this morning?

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I thought the officiating was very consistent. And offensively the blue devils got a game that did not reach 50 the way they wanted. All I ever ask for officials to be consistent and I thought they were very consistent.

I also think the blue devils wanted a physical game. But I think they were hoping for a physical game with fouls being called a lot more.... I am not saying more fouls should of been called. I am just saying I think blue devils were looking to get kids in foul trouble and that is not the way the game was played.

I thought Fairfield union did a great job adjusting to the shot blocks by ability of loveday and the way the game was being called by putting the basket between themselves and the defender. Thus giving themselves better shots when driving to the basket.

Even late in game when blue devils had great drives they braved themselves for contact that did not come causing bad shots or got the contact and missed the basket.

I just thought Fairfield union did a much better job at adjusting. I mean once they realized how physical they were going to be aloud to play they went for everything on rebounds loose balls and such and I just thought the blue devils would go so far and then worry they were going to be called for a foul.

I think Fairfield union showed why they have a great group and are a great team I thought the blue devils showed that they are beginning to figure the big games out. And that those games and game situations are not too big for them. But tonight Fairfield union just better.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I also thought part of the reason the blue devils didn’t get the ball to loveday as much in low post. Was starting in second quarter. When he did get a little low. The falcons really sagged a. Back side defender to where if the lob went in to loveday or if he would of pivoted around there would of been someone there. I thought they were trying to sucker the blue devils into giving it to him there the same way Zane trace did the week before.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

morgan stevens from wellston was one of the refs

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

I didn't get to attend the game....how did Loveday not get more touches? He's ranked the 67th best player in the country for his class per 24/7 sports. How does he only score 4 points in a game against a team with no one even close to his size? If you're ranked that high you should have a good opportunity of dominating SE Ohio basketball.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Congrats to the Gallia Blue Devils players and coaches on a terrific season.

I agree, if they refs did a good job they do deserve to be mentioned. Thank you for being consistent throughout the game.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

sandstorm23 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 am I didn't get to attend the game....how did Loveday not get more touches? He's ranked the 67th best player in the country for his class per 24/7 sports. How does he only score 4 points in a game against a team with no one even close to his size? If you're ranked that high you should have a good opportunity of dominating SE Ohio basketball.
Woodside is a 6'6" 270 pound division 1 athlete who is a senior. He is a beast. That is why he didn't get many touches. In a year or 2 Loveday will be dominating in my opinion. He is a really nice player.

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

6'6" is the SG/SF wing player in D1 basketball. Did Loveday look to take him outside off the bounce with the threat of shooting the 3 ball?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

sandstorm23 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 am 6'6" is the SG/SF wing player in D1 basketball. Did Loveday look to take him outside off the bounce with the threat of shooting the 3 ball?
And? 6'6" 270 lbs and strong as an ox, you really think Woodside was going to let Loveday establish position downlow and maintain it?

I wasn't at the game, so I can't speak on particulars. But it's incredibly common for younger post players to get pushed out by older/stronger post players and then find themselves drifting further and further out. I would imagine this is what occurred during this game. Gallia's coaches are smart enough and experienced enough to not tell their 7'0" player "STAY OUT OF THE POST THE ENTIRE GAME!"

Come on now.. end of the day, Loveday is a sophomore. This was a big moment, against a solid team and a very well coached team. Gallia gave it their all and nearly won the game. That sounds like a hell of a night to me.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Loveday did fine, imo.

Had at least 4 blocks. Usually Woodside dominates the paint, he did not last night. He played well, but didn't own the post like I have seen him do in the past.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

He went in the post three times in the first half and scored 2 of those times. Once was when Woodside was out of the game and Loveday went low and screamed for the ball, got it and scored.

In the 2nd half, he didn't go below the foul line and was clearly not intended to do so either.

Once he puts on more weight, he's going to be a force.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Jonn Evans
Morgan Stevens
Justin Carr

Last nights officials

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 am
sandstorm23 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:45 am 6'6" is the SG/SF wing player in D1 basketball. Did Loveday look to take him outside off the bounce with the threat of shooting the 3 ball?
And? 6'6" 270 lbs and strong as an ox, you really think Woodside was going to let Loveday establish position downlow and maintain it?

I wasn't at the game, so I can't speak on particulars. But it's incredibly common for younger post players to get pushed out by older/stronger post players and then find themselves drifting further and further out. I would imagine this is what occurred during this game. Gallia's coaches are smart enough and experienced enough to not tell their 7'0" player "STAY OUT OF THE POST THE ENTIRE GAME!"

Come on now.. end of the day, Loveday is a sophomore. This was a big moment, against a solid team and a very well coached team. Gallia gave it their all and nearly won the game. That sounds like a hell of a night to me.
Okay, thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't trying to bash the kid. Definitely not my intentions. I was just thinking there were ways around going at the bruiser. Maybe just make Loveday a screener until he finds a switch that he can take advantage of in the post and if they don't switch on the screen then just take the open jumper time and time again with the guard.

GAHSBB#1fan
Riding the Bench

Post by GAHSBB#1fan »

Congratulations to FU on winning last night against the Blue Devils. It was a great game to watch both teams I thought played really good very few mistakes. I thought both teams played excellent defense and it really was anybody’s game to win and it just happen that FU made one more shot than the Blue Devils to win the game. I’m very proud of the Blue Devils and the way they played. Call, McCelland and Henry all played great games and Blouir, Thomas and Wiseman all hit some big shots in the game .Loveday had some good blocks and and made 2 big baskets. Hats off to our Seniors Evan Wiseman, Kaden Thomas and Gage Harrison.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

sandstorm23 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 am

Okay, thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't trying to bash the kid. Definitely not my intentions. I was just thinking there were ways around going at the bruiser. Maybe just make Loveday a screener until he finds a switch that he can take advantage of in the post and if they don't switch on the screen then just take the open jumper time and time again with the guard.
It's all good, and I apologize if I came off standoffish - that wasn't my intention.

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

There was no way loveday was going inside with woodside on him. He only went below the foul line a few times. This did open up the lane for gallia. He did go inside when woodside was resting on the bench and a smaller player was put on him. (Houston) He was very aggressive then. He got some great rebounds and blocked shots. In division 2 when u get to the convo, the refs has always let them play inside. Now if it was a D4 game, woodside would've fouled out in the first half imo. Gallia had great guard play and defense. Call kept them in the game in the first half and then everybody got rolling. Couldn't have asked for a better game to watch. Down to the last shot.

FlyingBuckeye3
Riding the Bench

Post by FlyingBuckeye3 »

Hornetz_Fan32 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:15 pm There was no way loveday was going inside with woodside on him. He only went below the foul line a few times. This did open up the lane for gallia. He did go inside when woodside was resting on the bench and a smaller player was put on him. (Houston) He was very aggressive then. He got some great rebounds and blocked shots. In division 2 when u get to the convo, the refs has always let them play inside. Now if it was a D4 game, woodside would've fouled out in the first half imo. Gallia had great guard play and defense. Call kept them in the game in the first half and then everybody got rolling. Couldn't have asked for a better game to watch. Down to the last shot.
I believe "letting them play" was a little exaggerated last night. 5 total fouls in the first half, and 10 total outside of the last two minutes? Did either big man have a foul the entire game? I personally saw 2 pushes, with arms fully extended, not get called. Fouls have to be called when a post player has position but gets displaced because of a forearm in the back, versus the defender working hard to get around the seal. I would say the game was officiated fairly consistent, but not even comparable to the FHS v VC game. It's hard for teams to adjust from touch fouls being called, as in the FHS v VC game, to blatant hacks being ignored. Who knows what type of officiating will show up for FHS v FU.

Hornetz_Fan32
Freshman Team

Post by Hornetz_Fan32 »

Well the big boy for vc lowered his shoulder every plus walked and nothing ever called against him. BUT the difference of plain during the season and playing in the tournaments. I know woodside got away with an offensive foul in the second half when he extended his arm out while driving. The refs know the difference between divisions and I am sure the state is wanting to call the games like that. Last year at the state the let the guys play underneath also. 1 of the refs officiated a D4 game the night before and he called those fouls.

Return to “Boys Basketball”