Convo 3/1 Fairland (64) - (45) Vinton County

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Re: Convo 3/1 Fairland (64) - (45) Vinton County

Post by Vito Corleone »

I know that Fairland is that much better.

Making offers you can't refuse
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Coach Combs does a fantastic job with a program that, as danicalifornia alluded to, was virtually a non-player in district tournament play before he came on board. Not only has Combs taken the Vikings to the regional several times, they have been a consistent winning program in the regular season, competing for TVC championships on a yearly basis. Just remember what VC was before Combs took over.

Last night Vinton County simply played a team much better than them........I don't think there's a thing Coach Combs could have done to reverse the outcome.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I saw the same game, and seen Fairland on tape in two different games, and I too, know that they were better.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

He is my two cents on what happened last night, not that anyone is asking, but hey...it is an opinion forum.

I think for the Vikings to have had any chance, there were some things that had to go our way. First, not turn the ball over. Second, transition defense had to be spot on. And lastly, we didn't end quarters well defensively. Now, lets look at them.

I haven't looked at the film as of yet, but lets use pfloyd's napkin stats as a starter. First, we only turned the ball over 13 times, that in the grand scheme of things, not a bad stat; however, some of those turnovers were at the most inopportune time. Which I will mention later.

Next, we gave up 12 transition points off of turnovers. But, I am guessing we gave up 8-10 more off of their fast break. So, it is safe to say our transition defense was not good.

Lastly, we did not close out the quarters well at all. In the first, after going 0-6 to start, we managed to put buckets together, at one point the score being 14-7 Fairland. However, in the last minute the Dragons were able to get a three from Howell and two transition buckets by Thomas and Cunningham closing out the first quarter on a 7-2 run. In the second, we were winning the quarter until Thomas hits a 24 foot three pointer off an extra pass in the closing seconds, only to lose the quarter 16-15. In the third, again we were winning the quarter only to help off the short, chubby kid who hit a three, (when short, chubby kids enter a varsity basketball game, there is only one thing they can do, and we must have forgot that), we lost the quarter 15-13. Therefore, any chance to keep the game close, we didn't...and that is a credit to them. They got the shots they wanted.

Some on here state that we did not use our bigs and did not score in the paint; however, we scored most of points in the paint, 32 to be exact. We lost this game, in the early minutes, at the three point line, and yes, the free-throw line, that percentage should have been better, but not 19 points better.

Simply, they were better than us.

Now having said that, I am going to say something controversial. Everyone is convinced that the Dragons will "walk" to the state tournament. However, I am not convinced. The road to the state is a little easier without the Central District coming down to the regionals, BUT Zanesville or John Glenn will not be pushovers. Besides, I believe that either Sheridan and/or Unioto will match-up very well with the Dragons. Remember this is DII, this is the "deeper end of the pool." There are quality athletes, very good big men, and great guards on every team. So to arbitrarily to anoint them as king of the southeast, I would not. But it will be fun to watch.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

:D :D The point in the paint is ----we did not attack the middle the whole time their big was out of the game---we just ran our 3 pt offense, which was not working--MY POINT--is it seems we NEVER CONSIDER trying something else --we just keeping pounding our head against the wall---would love to know what Yates field goal % was for the year--from 3pt line and inside the 3pt line. Compared to the rest of the teams field goal %. Just saying---Again I do not BLAME the kids---They play the way they are coached/allowed to play--just thought we could have used our talent better that's all--not saying the end result would be different--but could have helped us when certain kids were out--because of injury.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Well, I mean, the kids are the ones on the floor actually playing the game and in control

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

vcgrad...this may help you understand our philosophy. We like the three, but we love the lay-up. This eight minute video is a simplified explanation of the dribble-drive offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7jeGtS-w0

The following the hour long video is from the inventor of the dribble-drive offense, Coach Vance Walberg. This is the comprehensive look at dribble-drive, he includes roles, spacing, and stats, such as points per possession, shooting percentages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTiBvtPCOw

Once again, you can argue with our philosophy, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, you cannot argue with the results. I hope you find peace and understanding.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:00 am vcgrad...this may help you understand our philosophy. We like the three, but we love the lay-up. This eight minute video is a simplified explanation of the dribble-drive offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o7jeGtS-w0

The following the hour long video is from the inventor of the dribble-drive offense, Coach Vance Walberg. This is the comprehensive look at dribble-drive, he includes roles, spacing, and stats, such as points per possession, shooting percentages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTiBvtPCOw

Once again, you can argue with our philosophy, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, you cannot argue with the results. I hope you find peace and understanding.

... good stuff hawk ! ... I'm learning a lot from the links ! ... when anyone plays a team that is better than their own - ALL things must come together for you offensively/defensively, critical calls , bounces of the ball, a call or twelve , your own players have to do more than they have shown before ... everything has to come together on YOUR side, then you have to have what the opponent does best NOT HAPPEN ... foul trouble, the Convo background makes them a 20% three point shooting team vs a 45% ... your defense takes away something or someone from getting their points, getting to where they want to get on the floor ... Fairland is good ... LOTS of weapons offensively that have to be taken away - 5 double digit scorers ... quickness defensively ... experience in BIG games, experience AT the Convo ... bottom line a perfect game would need to be played along with TEAM shooting 70% from the field etc. can Fairland get beat ? yes ... did they have a mathcup advantage vs VC ? Yes ... it will take a good team and bad night on Fairlands part by multiple "players" to upset them ... they are #1 in the SE District for a reason ! - they're a talented TEAM, with TALENTED individual players , talented size, shooters AND scorers AND they make you pay defensively when you make offensive mistakes ...

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Do you remember what I said to you before the game?

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

So how did the dribble drive work vs. Bloom Carol, first Nelsonville game, first River Valley game, Maysville, and 2nd Athens game???? That's what I am talking about--you truly believe they were all better than us? Just don't see it. Hands down had more talent--just was not coached well in those games. Seen to many times in those games Naylan or Jake do stupid things---nothing was said or done.Years over lets move on--------good luck Fairland. God bless VC.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

vcgrad wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:43 am So how did the dribble drive work vs. Bloom Carol, first Nelsonville game, first River Valley game, Maysville, and 2nd Athens game???? That's what I am talking about--you truly believe they were all better than us? Just don't see it. Hands down had more talent--just was not coached well in those games. Seen to many times in those games Naylan or Jake do stupid things---nothing was said or done.Years over lets move on--------good luck Fairland. God bless VC.
Well isn't that on Naylan and/or Jake? What's that have to do with the coach?

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

vcgrad wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:43 am So how did the dribble drive work vs. Bloom Carol, first Nelsonville game, first River Valley game, Maysville, and 2nd Athens game???? That's what I am talking about--you truly believe they were all better than us? Just don't see it. Hands down had more talent--just was not coached well in those games. Seen to many times in those games Naylan or Jake do stupid things---nothing was said or done.Years over lets move on--------good luck Fairland. God bless VC.
First, I cannot believe that I am going to take my time and address this, after all, you can only help the ignorant so far.

In the Bloom Carroll game we played, basically, without two starters. Naylan, tried to play on a severely sprained ankle, in hindsight, it cost him the next two games. However, was Bloom Carroll better than us, on that day, they were. If I remember correctly, I stated on this forum, that I was disappointed in the manner which we handled their physicality, we didn't. We were bigger than them and yet, we allowed them to dictate the tempo and physicality. But, that could be a testament to not having Nevan. Nevan is one of those players who gives more than he gets. He is one to lock-up their better players, rebound, and be strong with the basketball.

I will give you the Nelsonville game. In hindsight, that was a terrible loss. At the time, I said that Nelsonville playing like that, would have a say who will win the TVC championship. Meaning, I thought their big men were excellent rebounders, could finish around the rim, and made free-throws. They had a couple of real good shooters, their only weakness was their point guard play. They could be pressured. Boy, did they fool me. Their only conference win was against us, and after watching that game, I would have never guessed that. I will admit I was wrong on that account. However, if you look at the game, sitting two starters, we are only in it, because Jake willed us offensively. When we struggled for a basket, Jake got us one, and it gave us a chance to win in the end. But, with a blown wide open lay-up and some missed free throws, we lost to an highly motivated team. I also said on here, you cannot disregard emotion and momentum in high school sports and the Buckeyes fed off it the entire night.

What about the River Valley game? We won. You are complaining about wins now?

Maysville was very well-prepared for us. It was like they had our playbook. Furthermore, that was a terrible trip, it was bitterly cold, it was a long trip, and over Christmas vacation. I know seems like an excuse, but I have watched enough high school basketball to know that these all are factors. Kids do not respond well when they have the day off from school, their body's clocks are out-of-whack, their mindsets are not always right, and there are so much other things going on during the holidays. So on that day, yes, they were better than us.

The second Athens game, if you remember they were playing without a starter. However, the argument could be made that made them better. They were able to start someone who is 6'1" or 6'2" as opposed to someone who is 5'8" or 5'9" so it made them longer in their zone. We played as bad as we could play also, but we still had a chance to win. You have to ask why do they play zone? That is because they can't guard us in our attacking style of offense.

Of these games you mentioned, you stated that we were more talented. I guess, that would depend on your definition of talent. However, not coached very well. I can say this, as someone who has watched 35 plus years of Vikings' basketball but also, high school basketball in general, I knew what the talent was like before Combs, and granted, there were some talented teams, the 1993-1994 Vikings come to mind, nine future college athletes on that roster, but they only managed to go 11-11. However, since Coach Combs, he has only one double-digit loss since being here, his first year. He winning games at a 71% clip. Before Combs, one TVC championship, since, 11, ELEVEN. Sectional championships, before Combs, just three, since SEVEN. District championships? I think we know the answer to that. Since Combs, THREE.

However, at the end of the day, it the Jimmys and Joes that are performing on the floor. To Vito's point, a coach can only do so much, he can prepare them, practice them, drill them, game plan with them, but, he can't play for them. Which brings me to my next point, it is one thing to bash a coach. Heck, he doesn't read this junk, so he could careless. But to get on here and call players out, by name, just goes to show who you truly are. You are probably a dad, that was unhappy with the playing time of another player, and again, that says more about you, than it does any kid on this team. Coach Combs is very adept in handling his team, defining their roles, and getting the most out of them. If you are truly unhappy with that, may I suggest you find a new team to follow. Because despite what may perceive, we are doing just fine. I sincerely hope you find peace.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

You are right I AM WRONG. He walks on water. Its always the kids fault??????? The coach sets the tone---if he just ignores bad behavior from a few--but pulls other kids out for the same thing--so there is a time a place for everyone---every kid practices--should be VALUED the same!!! And I am not a parent---my kid has long gone from the program. I am just speaking my mind from the few games I went to, and looking at the box scores of the others. I have been told he will have to really coach next year--graduated 6 or 7? Time will tell.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I'm not taking sides on this but I just think it's great that Vinton County wins the TVC, the Logan's sectional, finished the year 16-8 with a loss to possibly the best team in the SE district and its the end of the world. THAT is when you know you have a GREAT program. There are a ton of teams that would see a 16-8 record, conference and sectional championship season as one of the best in school history. We call it a down year. 😊 I love Viking basketball!

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

vcgrad wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:50 pm I have been told he will have to really coach next year--graduated 6 or 7? Time will tell.
Combs has been at VC for 18 years. I'm guessing 1 or 2 of those years he had to coach. I believe VC has won the league 11 of the last 15 years. He's had different assistants, different players, the league has even had different schools in it. The one constant during this successful run of VC basketball is Combs.

hawkeyepierce wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:34 pm
First, I cannot believe that I am going to take my time and address this, after all, you can only help the ignorant so far.
Then, why are you? Not only are you responding, you are writing a book to respond. This vcgrad fool isn't worth your time, hp.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I guess we made it to the convo--that's all that matters!!!! Not that we should have a better game plan against Fairland--I was told that FU Coach had his team prepared and ready--they came out on fire---but I was told(I did not go to the game) they played to not lose the 2nd half.

Return to “Boys Basketball”