Convo 3/1 Fairland (64) - (45) Vinton County

toast
All State

Re: Convo 3/1 Fairland (64) - (45) Vinton County

Post by toast »

I read that Vinton County shot 17% from the foul line for the game. Is that a misprint?

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I feel the same, The boys played hard, but when their Big Boy was out, for most of the 1st qtr, we did not attack the paint at all, he was in foul trouble all night. I think it was poor coaching not to attack the middle. We just ran the same old stuff looking for 3's. We tried to much dribbling thru the press or traffic, needed to get the ball to the open man. I guess we are not used to having some size. We did not take advantage of it the whole year. Good luck Fairland, go win it all.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

#4 from VC was impressive

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Vinton County vs Fairland 3/1

Post by bbjunky81 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:38 am
E High wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:50 am Fairland won't win by 20 . Both teams have been there and done that . VC is playing better and appear to be back from early season problems. d-2 is different then d-3 . VC has a punchers chance .
I'd take that bet.

That's not a knock on Vinton County or Combs, who's a fantastic coach. Fairland is just in a league of their own in SE Ohio. Damron is a big kid but he doesn't have the speed to keep Van Horn in front, that's going to be a problem.

Fairland is all seniors now and is just on another planet. They want that State title regardless of which division they're in.

I'm going with:

Fairland 74
Vinton C 50
Thought it would be a little higher scoring but seem to be pretty close margin wise.

Nothing at all for VC to hang their heads about, Fairland is truly just on a different level in our area. I genuinely believe they make the state in D2 and after looking at the other regional brackets I think it's very possible Fairland reaches the state title game before running into an absolute buzz saw.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Also, looks as if we should have practiced foul shots---2 of 12. That's so bad!!!!!!! It almost cost us the game against Athens also.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Vcgrad...you are correct. It was poor coaching and you will hear it here first, it is time for Combs to go. I mean really, it wasn’t like Fairland was better than us. It wasn’t like they got every shot they wanted. It wasn’t like their defense was fast and athletic. I mean seriously, we should have won the state.

🙄

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

vcgrad wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 am Also, looks as if we should have practiced foul shots---2 of 12. That's so bad!!!!!!! It almost cost us the game against Athens also.
It probably never crossed Combs' or Kight's mind to have their players shoot free throws. Could you explain to them what they should be doing as coaches? I mean, there hasn't been much success for VC's program, so I'm sure they could use some help. Maybe you need to meet with the coaching staff for queries to satisfy you.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Wow vcgrad. Just stop. DUMB

Making offers you can't refuse
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Sid Farkus wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 am
vcgrad wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 am Also, looks as if we should have practiced foul shots---2 of 12. That's so bad!!!!!!! It almost cost us the game against Athens also.
It probably never crossed Combs' or Kight's mind to have their players shoot free throws. Could you explain to them what they should be doing as coaches? I mean, there hasn't been much success for VC's program, so I'm sure they could use some help. Maybe you need to meet with the coaching staff for queries to satisfy you.
This brings me to one of my favorite moments of when I'd watch games with my grandpa way back when... He'd say "Why does that boy miss so many layups! Do they not work on layups during practice?!?"

I would just say "dang that's a great idea grandpa! You should tell the coach that!" :lol: :lol:

Watching SE Ohio basketball
vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

We have had a lot of talent over the last few years, that has covered a lot of "coaching mistakes"- that talent would have won anywhere it was at. You need to develop your kids---he has never worked with his freshman or JV kids------ he does not even get involved in the biddy league program. Also, did you notice he almost never took out of the game certain players. I know they are not in that great of shape--too never come out??? If you are playing hard (both ways) no way you can give it your all the whole game. And you can tell he never works with his big men--to have that size in the TVC and not dominate???? WOW Just a shame--I know we are not the best team in the state--but we are not as bad as we showed last night. Enough said, year is over. I am just glad all my kids are out of school. Or I would go crazy.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however, not their own facts. Also, everyone knows who I am, and I am always about, please introduce yourself and we can discuss the state of the basketball program over your favorite beverages. I will even buy.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

vcgrad wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:29 pm We have had a lot of talent over the last few years, that has covered a lot of "coaching mistakes"- that talent would have won anywhere it was at. You need to develop your kids---he has never worked with his freshman or JV kids------ he does not even get involved in the biddy league program. Also, did you notice he almost never took out of the game certain players. I know they are not in that great of shape--too never come out??? If you are playing hard (both ways) no way you can give it your all the whole game. And you can tell he never works with his big men--to have that size in the TVC and not dominate???? WOW Just a shame--I know we are not the best team in the state--but we are not as bad as we showed last night. Enough said, year is over. I am just glad all my kids are out of school. Or I would go crazy.
Yet, you claim to still help with the biddy league yourself, how great of you!

You develop your kids by putting good people that you can trust into the lower levels...or take 100% control over everything and run everyone in one giant practice. Trying to micromanage every thing will run off good assistants real quick.

Before Coach Combs, Vinton County had been to zero (0) District Championship games. Since 2004, they have been to 5, winning 3 of those. I think that tends to say enough.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

I wonder what vcgrad could've done with this team this year. My guess is probably been competing against Oak Hill Academy or Dematha on ESPN

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

I did not mean he had to control anything---just be involved----let the kids notice that he is there watching them---I am not disputing what he has done---just trying to point out---how far the program would be if he worked on the "whole" team/program--that's all. You really feel in your heart of hearts that Fairland is that much better than us? I just can't. Sorry.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

No I would have worked on the Whole team---so when we paly a team that takes our 3 pt shots away--we have a plan "b"--way to many times that we play in big games--that we have no answer...---just feel bad for the kids.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

I know that Fairland is that much better.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Coach Combs does a fantastic job with a program that, as danicalifornia alluded to, was virtually a non-player in district tournament play before he came on board. Not only has Combs taken the Vikings to the regional several times, they have been a consistent winning program in the regular season, competing for TVC championships on a yearly basis. Just remember what VC was before Combs took over.

Last night Vinton County simply played a team much better than them........I don't think there's a thing Coach Combs could have done to reverse the outcome.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I saw the same game, and seen Fairland on tape in two different games, and I too, know that they were better.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

He is my two cents on what happened last night, not that anyone is asking, but hey...it is an opinion forum.

I think for the Vikings to have had any chance, there were some things that had to go our way. First, not turn the ball over. Second, transition defense had to be spot on. And lastly, we didn't end quarters well defensively. Now, lets look at them.

I haven't looked at the film as of yet, but lets use pfloyd's napkin stats as a starter. First, we only turned the ball over 13 times, that in the grand scheme of things, not a bad stat; however, some of those turnovers were at the most inopportune time. Which I will mention later.

Next, we gave up 12 transition points off of turnovers. But, I am guessing we gave up 8-10 more off of their fast break. So, it is safe to say our transition defense was not good.

Lastly, we did not close out the quarters well at all. In the first, after going 0-6 to start, we managed to put buckets together, at one point the score being 14-7 Fairland. However, in the last minute the Dragons were able to get a three from Howell and two transition buckets by Thomas and Cunningham closing out the first quarter on a 7-2 run. In the second, we were winning the quarter until Thomas hits a 24 foot three pointer off an extra pass in the closing seconds, only to lose the quarter 16-15. In the third, again we were winning the quarter only to help off the short, chubby kid who hit a three, (when short, chubby kids enter a varsity basketball game, there is only one thing they can do, and we must have forgot that), we lost the quarter 15-13. Therefore, any chance to keep the game close, we didn't...and that is a credit to them. They got the shots they wanted.

Some on here state that we did not use our bigs and did not score in the paint; however, we scored most of points in the paint, 32 to be exact. We lost this game, in the early minutes, at the three point line, and yes, the free-throw line, that percentage should have been better, but not 19 points better.

Simply, they were better than us.

Now having said that, I am going to say something controversial. Everyone is convinced that the Dragons will "walk" to the state tournament. However, I am not convinced. The road to the state is a little easier without the Central District coming down to the regionals, BUT Zanesville or John Glenn will not be pushovers. Besides, I believe that either Sheridan and/or Unioto will match-up very well with the Dragons. Remember this is DII, this is the "deeper end of the pool." There are quality athletes, very good big men, and great guards on every team. So to arbitrarily to anoint them as king of the southeast, I would not. But it will be fun to watch.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

:D :D The point in the paint is ----we did not attack the middle the whole time their big was out of the game---we just ran our 3 pt offense, which was not working--MY POINT--is it seems we NEVER CONSIDER trying something else --we just keeping pounding our head against the wall---would love to know what Yates field goal % was for the year--from 3pt line and inside the 3pt line. Compared to the rest of the teams field goal %. Just saying---Again I do not BLAME the kids---They play the way they are coached/allowed to play--just thought we could have used our talent better that's all--not saying the end result would be different--but could have helped us when certain kids were out--because of injury.

Return to “Boys Basketball”