WAVERLY VS SHERIDAN

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Re: WAVERLY VS SHERIDAN

Post by Vito Corleone »

Depends on how well Sheridan handles chaos. That's what Waverly does, and Waverly does it well. Any common opponents between the two?

Making offers you can't refuse
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Sheridan beat Fairfield Union very late right?

That alone makes them the favorite here.

I’m rooting for Waverly but goodness —- they are the underdog here.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

If Waverly brings the defensive intensity that they did vs. Fairland, Sheridan will have their hands full. Of all the teams I have seen play other than Portsmouth, only Ironton in the sectional vs. Wheelersburg played harder on D than did Waverly vs. Fairland. Another thing I liked about the Tigers was that they didn't play afraid of Fairland. They took it right to them for 4 quarters, came up short, but the effort was there for sure.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:55 pm If Waverly brings the defensive intensity that they did vs. Fairland, Sheridan will have their hands full. Of all the teams I have seen play other than Portsmouth, only Ironton in the sectional vs. Wheelersburg played harder on D than did Waverly vs. Fairland. Another thing I liked about the Tigers was that they didn't play afraid of Fairland. They took it right to them for 4 quarters, came up short, but the effort was there for sure.
Waverly has to play 4 quarters like they did the first three and a half against Fairland. Tigers have to bring the defensive pressure and run run run in hopes of wearing them down.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

smurray wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:30 pm
trojandave wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:55 pm If Waverly brings the defensive intensity that they did vs. Fairland, Sheridan will have their hands full. Of all the teams I have seen play other than Portsmouth, only Ironton in the sectional vs. Wheelersburg played harder on D than did Waverly vs. Fairland. Another thing I liked about the Tigers was that they didn't play afraid of Fairland. They took it right to them for 4 quarters, came up short, but the effort was there for sure.
Waverly has to play 4 quarters like they did the first three and a half against Fairland. Tigers have to bring the defensive pressure and run run run in hopes of wearing them down.
If Waverly can play that great defense and keep their composure late in the game they can beat Sheridan. Losing composure late in highly contested games have cost them two games that I can think of.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Vito Corleone wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 am Depends on how well Sheridan handles chaos. That's what Waverly does, and Waverly does it well. Any common opponents between the two?
... I've seen Sheridan 3 times , nothing flashy, very deep (going 9 deep in their NORMAL rotation) ... they have size (6-8, 6-8, 6-7) but it's not on the floor at the same time (at least not in the regular season) ... only 2 of those "size" players see the floor on varsity, Heller the 6-1 PG is the key - lefty can shoot the lights out if given 1/2 an opportunity ... Grey Bennett 5-10 can nail the 3 ball as well (had 5 treys in beating FU) ... VC's comment about Sheridan handling chaos ? if anything chaos plays in Waverly's favor as SHS is a better team when they are patient and use the size of the post & forwards ... they struggle when they put up quick shots - they do that in stretches during games that I have seen ... I think the chaos factor that Waverly brings to the table, their quickness, strength, ability to get up and down the floor is to the Tigers' advantage ... I had on my Napkin Stat sheets that Sheridan does not handle pressure well - pressure turns the ball over on the perimeter by Sheridan guards ... Sheridan may be the favorite but Waverly's overall philosophy and strengths make this a tough matchup for the Generals ... I would not be surprised at a Tiger "W" ... with that said the Convo IS a big court - with the type of game Waverly plays the question is "can they run for 32 minutes?" ... Sheridan going 9 deep will be fresher in the 2nd half of action ... in the games I have seen Sheridan has pulled away in the final period of play due to being less tired than their opponent ... we'll soon enough ! going to be a good one imo ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:05 pm
Vito Corleone wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 am Depends on how well Sheridan handles chaos. That's what Waverly does, and Waverly does it well. Any common opponents between the two?
... I've seen Sheridan 3 times , nothing flashy, very deep (going 9 deep in their NORMAL rotation) ... they have size (6-8, 6-8, 6-7) but it's not on the floor at the same time (at least not in the regular season) ... only 2 of those "size" players see the floor on varsity, Heller the 6-1 PG is the key - lefty can shoot the lights out if given 1/2 an opportunity ... Grey Bennett 5-10 can nail the 3 ball as well (had 5 treys in beating FU) ... VC's comment about Sheridan handling chaos ? if anything chaos plays in Waverly's favor as SHS is a better team when they are patient and use the size of the post & forwards ... they struggle when they put up quick shots - they do that in stretches during games that I have seen ... I think the chaos factor that Waverly brings to the table, their quickness, strength, ability to get up and down the floor is to the Tigers' advantage ... I had on my Napkin Stat sheets that Sheridan does not handle pressure well - pressure turns the ball over on the perimeter by Sheridan guards ... Sheridan may be the favorite but Waverly's overall philosophy and strengths make this a tough matchup for the Generals ... I would not be surprised at a Tiger "W" ... with that said the Convo IS a big court - with the type of game Waverly plays the question is "can they run for 32 minutes?" ... Sheridan going 9 deep will be fresher in the 2nd half of action ... in the games I have seen Sheridan has pulled away in the final period of play due to being less tired than their opponent ... we'll soon enough ! going to be a good one imo ...

Waverly goes 9 deep as well. They can play the frantic pace all game....I’ve seen them do it twice.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Waverly will not get tired! All 9 will play. Coach Stulley does a great job of subbing in and out. The big floor will be to their advantage! Looking forward to this matchup. Should be a great game!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I would agree Waverly will rotate 9 players freely and the big floor will be what they are used to. Waverly's floor is as big as anyone's around.
Waverly will have had a week to rest up and heal some bumps and bruises. Praying everyone is healthy and free from any sicknesses going around.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

I can see 10 guys getting in the game. Maybe Shanks or Zeke can see some playing time

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Two very contrasting styles of play it would appear. Should make for a very interesting and entertaining game.

The game is scheduled to start at 6:15. Anyone know what time they will open the doors?

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

This is such an interesting matchup of contrasting sytles. Whichever team is able to control the tempo of the game gets the W. Waverly needs to get some serious pressure on Sheridan's guards as soon as the ball is tipped, if the Tigers are able to create some turnovers that lead to some easy buckets early on I think they have a serious shot at taking down the #1 seed.

Anyone know how well Sheridan travels? I'm curious to see what kind of crowd we will have on hand tomorrow night. I'm hoping the Tiger faithful show up in full force.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:35 pm This is such an interesting matchup of contrasting sytles. Whichever team is able to control the tempo of the game gets the W. Waverly needs to get some serious pressure on Sheridan's guards as soon as the ball is tipped, if the Tigers are able to create some turnovers that lead to some easy buckets early on I think they have a serious shot at taking down the #1 seed.

Anyone know how well Sheridan travels? I'm curious to see what kind of crowd we will have on hand tomorrow night. I'm hoping the Tiger faithful show up in full force.
Tiger Nation will be out in full force. It’s what we do!

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Game day! Big floor should be to our advantage. Tigers bring the pressure like no other! Would love to have the game called like the Fairfield Union Gallia Academy game last night. Referees swallowed their whistles and let them play. Waverly wants to get up in you and pressure pressure pressure. Worked against Fairland and should be effective against Sheridan. See you all at the Convo!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GO TIGERS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Pulling for Pike County and Soc in this one, Waverly will have to play well for 32min as Sheridan is very good. I think Howell has big game and Tigers pressure affects Sheridan.

Prediction.. Waverly wins 70-68.

TrueFan
JV Team

Post by TrueFan »

Any online radio stream for this game?

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

TrueFan wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:18 pm Any online radio stream for this game?
Should be able to listen here: https://network1sports.com/station/wxiz

Lightle72
Riding the Bench

Post by Lightle72 »

Let’s go Tigers. You need 4 quarters of complete basketball on both ends.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Waverly nation

Return to “Boys Basketball”