Convo 3/4 3:45PM (7) South Webster vs (3) New Boston

Proud_Pirate63
S

Re: Convo 3/4 3:45PM (7) South Webster vs (3) New Boston

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Waterboy wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:38 pm Great win Jeeps!!! Way to represent SOC II. Now go and swat those Hornets.
Not going to happen. Coal grove by 10
Either way a local team will be in the regionals. Makes no difference to me. Burg would beat the both them, but that is another topic.

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

tartanterror_0eight wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 pm I fully expect Cox to be himself and blow this thing for Glenwood. Blevins loads the team on his back and I head to Court Street at halftime with Dirty Mike & the Boys.
Good call , from what I seen new Boston did not have a game plan ,looked to be playing street ball the entire game its a shame they have a good group of kids but when you hire just anyone to coach this is what happens any halfway decent coach would have won this one

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

dontreply wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:25 pm
tartanterror_0eight wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 pm I fully expect Cox to be himself and blow this thing for Glenwood. Blevins loads the team on his back and I head to Court Street at halftime with Dirty Mike & the Boys.
Good call , from what I seen new Boston did not have a game plan ,looked to be playing street ball the entire game its a shame they have a good group of kids but when you hire just anyone to coach this is what happens any halfway decent coach would have won this one
I, too, didn’t see any type of game plan. The slower this game was, the more it benefitted Webster.

Cox is a good recruiter. But he’s your typical AAU guy giving varsity coaching a shot and that’s a whole nother world.

Not sure who to blame for the jersey disaster, but that undoubtedly was a huge distraction just before tipoff.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

In fairness to New Boston, I don’t think it was a high profile job last spring. I believe they didn’t have a lot of options. Coach Cox did a good job bringing in kids and there will be more next year.

Yes ... he is an AAU coach trying to convert to a high school coach. That is a big change. If he can last a couple years, I’m sure we will see a Lot of improvement to his coaching style. He will get better!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

NB thought they were going to come in and whoop up like they did 1. At home 2. Not against Blevins and Smitty and 3. With some poor officiating. That game was a football match.

Grats to NB for making it this far though. They won a lot of games

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

Congrats to the Jeeps. Big win! On to the next. Short memory. It’s time for a date with Coal Grove.

(I know CG beat Oak Hill and Gallipolis, but SW just beat Ohio U on their home floor. How are people picking CG??)

Sorry...I just had to. Maybe bring both sets of uni’s??

Making offers you can't refuse
Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:21 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:38 pm Great win Jeeps!!! Way to represent SOC II. Now go and swat those Hornets.
Either way a local team will be in the regionals. Makes no difference to me. Burg would beat the both them, but that is another topic.
Would love to have seen that game ..and don't be so sure

I’m a neutral fannnnn of every one in southern ohio
Gyro-Step
Waterboy

Post by Gyro-Step »

Waterboy wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:09 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Would love to have seen that game ..and don't be so sure
Honestly, this game will be closer than what most think in my opinion. First off, the Jeeps are playing their best ball and everyone needs to ignore the (7) beside their name because we all know seeding can be a crap shoot. Secondly, all the pressure will be on Coal Grove in a big way. Not only are they the “1” seed playing the “7” seed, but they’re the long time D3 school who just dropped down and are playing these “smaller” schools for the first time in a while. No one in their league is D4, so I’m sure everyone is telling them they’ve got it in the bag. Not saying SW will win, but saying it’ll be a game. The Grove is a very good team, just have to overcome the mental aspect of this one. Go Jeeps!

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:39 pm
N2Hoops wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm New Boston will be wearing black Ohio University jerseys in the game. Both SW and NB showed up in white. Bizarre
Which is 100% New Boston’s fault, it’s common knowledge the team at the top of the bracket wears white. SW beat Southern (the 2 seed), which put them at the top of the bracket against the 3 seeded New Boston.
Did they change something on this....Eastern pike was the away team versus Southeastern and Eagles are the #3 seed.

GO EAGLES
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

brown22 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 pm
N2Hoops wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:35 pm New Boston will be wearing black Ohio University jerseys in the game. Both SW and NB showed up in white. Bizarre
Which is 100% New Boston’s fault, it’s common knowledge the team at the top of the bracket wears white. SW beat Southern (the 2 seed), which put them at the top of the bracket against the 3 seeded New Boston.
Did they change something on this....Eastern pike was the away team versus Southeastern and Eagles are the #3 seed.

That’s because Southeastern beat West Union, the 2 seed. Therefore SE takes the top part of the bracket where the 2 seed would be, thus wearing home whites.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:38 pm
brown22 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 pm

That’s because Southeastern beat West Union, the 2 seed. Therefore SE takes the top part of the bracket where the 2 seed would be, thus wearing home whites.
Thank you i did forget they beat a #2 seed

GO EAGLES
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

That was a lot of fun —- let’s do it again Saturday

New Boston gave a great effort today. Their kids have nothing to be ashamed about —- man what a competitive and physical game that was.

South Webster ended the 3rd quarter with an 11-1 run and the 4th quarter with an 11-0 run. Down 33-23 and finishing on a 25-8 flourish—- unbelievable.

I think it’s about the kids. They are a special group. I truly believe they were just starting to put it together when Shiloah went down. His absence forced the coaches and the kids to look elsewhere though and players found their footing. Sometimes things you have no control of and can take no credit for turn out to dictate the path. This team was 7-8 and went to the draw at 7-11 and finished at 7-15. The darkest hour was that Monday Night in New Boston where they endured a true test of their togetherness while getting their butt kicked. That week ended at Minford with 3 of the top 8 out with the flu and Shiloah showing signs of rust and life equally. 7-15.

The 7 seed was also a blessing. A game against the 10 seed at Meigs with all of our kids healthy for the first time since game 12 vs Jackson. I was standing in line afterwards at the concession stand and a Southern fan asked a Meigs guy what he thought of South Webster and he replied “ I expected more really”. And I thought —- does he know we are 7-15? Well now 8-15? Does he know this was the first game with all of our pieces available?

3-0 in tournament play. Another trip to The District Championship game—- our 9th since 2004. (6-2 in the prior 8).

Jacob Ruth —- what a game. Seriously— wow.

Sam Holstein —- great job defending and so many little things you took care of today.

Braden Bockway —- 2 huge shots when the pressure was at its highest. Continued improvement.

Way to go Jeeps!!!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

Although unorthodox and understandably annoying to non tigers, Cox's style and approach are what I believe was needed to give New Boston some juice and a shot in the arm. Cox brings the energy, passion, rah rah, promotion, etc which is at times over the top, however I believe most affiliated with New Boston appreciate and understand the approach and contagious action he brings to the table and it certainly caught on with not only his players, but the community. This was a program in extreme disarray for many many years where it appeared the Tigers just continued to emotionlessly take punches, but Cox has turned the tables and a lot of that is thanks to his in your face outside the box approach to his brand of New Boston basketball. Again, from the outsider point of view, this can be misunderstood and even annoying but as I was thinking on my drive home, I truly understand his strategy with this, and you cannot argue with the results in year one of his regime. I'll be interested to see how he maintains the momentum with the loss of several key pieces, no doubt with some more "eyes" on him moving forward he will have to tread likely and make sure to do it by the book. Best of luck to New Boston and Coach Cox moving forward. Tiger Pride truly is back to being city wide.
Last edited by Penguin on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Point blank
Freshman Team

Post by Point blank »

Good luck jeeps. Be the looks of things on here Nb didnt belong and their coach sucks.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

By the way. When Bockway hit that 2nd contested 17 footer to put us up 43-41 —- first lead of the day.

On Wednesday against Southern our first lead came at 41-40 late 4th quarter.

2 truly great comebacks.

New Boston is the best team we have beaten this year. They are truly talented. I think people saw that today.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Point Blank, I don’t think anybody is saying NB didn’t belong in the District semi-finals. I think they are saying they didn’t deserve to win today. At crunch time your best players have to make plays. Today, at crunch time New Boston’s best players didn’t make plays. As far as the coach, he brings a lot of that on himself. He is young. He will learn to handle himself better.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

This is the difference between having to play Eastern Twice and having to play OH, Burg, Waverly twice

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I definitely wouldn't call this an "upset." New Boston may have been the 'favorite' but it was only by a slight, slight margin. I truly thought this game was a 50/50. A huge factor that many of us have stated for weeks now is Convo experience. Several of the Jeeps players played on the Convo floor last year and many of the others at least warmed up there. That makes a difference, the Convo is a whole different world for SE Ohio teams. New Boston was rattled before they even started the game by bringing the wrong jerseys, which was another advantage to Webster.

Coach Cole has been in the business long enough to know what it takes to win at the Convo. The slower this game got, the more it benefited South Webster. New Boston looked rattled and lost for several spurts of the game. South Webster never really seemed rattled. A huge key to winning tournament games is getting defensive stops in key moments, which Webster did, and less-than-expected players stepping up to hit key shots in key moments, which Bockway did. As soon as South Webster began making their run in the 3rd I was pretty confident the Jeeps would pull it off.

South Webster has a much tougher task at hand on Saturday against Coal Grove. It's not un-doable by any means, but it's not the 50/50 they've had against Southern and New Boston. However, I'd put it at 60/40 in Coal Grove's favor, so the Jeeps definitely still have a very good chance. The key will be South Webster's ability to handle pressure and weather the storm when Coal Grove goes on one of their inevitable runs. If South Webster can slow it down again, and not give up second chance points, the Jeeps very well could be district champs.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Penguin wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:47 pm Although unorthodox and understandably annoying to non tigers, Cox's style and approach are what I believe was needed to give New Boston some juice and a shot in the arm. Cox brings the energy, passion, rah rah, promotion, etc which is at times over the top, however I believe most affiliated with New Boston appreciate and understand the approach and contagious action he brings to the table and it certainly caught on with not only his players, but the community. This was a program in extreme disarray for many many years where it appeared the Tigers just continued to emotionlessly take punches, but Cox has turned the tables and a lot of that is thanks to his in your face outside the box approach to his brand of New Boston basketball. Again, from the outsider point of view, this can be misunderstood and even annoying but as I was thinking on my drive home, I truly understand his strategy with this, and you cannot argue with the results in year one of his regime. I'll be interested to see how he maintains the momentum with the loss of several key pieces, no doubt with some more "eyes" on him moving forward he will have to tread likely and make sure to do it by the book. Best of luck to New Boston and Coach Cox moving forward. Tiger Pride truly is back to being city wide.
Excellent post! We are proud of our Tigers and wish South Webster Good Luck vs. Coal Grove.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GREAT JOB JEEPS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “Boys Basketball”