Wheelersburg All time Leading Scorers

drrabbit
All State

Wheelersburg All time Leading Scorers

Post by drrabbit »

Wheelersburg AD wants me to help come up with the list of Wheelersburg all-time leaders in Boys/Girls basketball so they can do a board/banner with them on like other schools have.

I have an idea of some but if anyone wants to suggests more names, I would be appreciative. And if you know their totals/years that would be even better!! But at least with the names, I can try to look the information up in the paper on microfilm at the library.

I am looking for individuals with:

>1000 points in a career.
>400 points in a season.
>40 points in a game.

THANKS!!!
email me if you don't want to/can't post. drrabb@zoomnet.net

The Flash
Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg All time Leading Scorers

Post by The Flash »

I wish more schools in our area displayed this information whether it’s on a website or banners inside the school/gym. I appreciate the people like Trojan Dave and his records on Portsmouth b-ball and Dani C and his website on Unioto hoops. Hopefully you can get some good information because Wheelersburg has a proud basketball history

burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

I believe Andrew Burleson is the boys high scorer.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Todd Stayker?

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I would think that Mark Eaton might be up there he started as a freshman and Todd Staker also Scott or Brian Grey also maybe Craig Brown ? Jack Miller ?

Burg grad 85
drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I have been working on several of those. I am just now putting together a list of possibilities. And am trying to contact those listed. Andrew's a surgeon now and I have one of his sisters trying to get me his and the two girls' totals--all three were over 1000. But keep the suggestions coming.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Drrabbit: Here are some players that might help your search.......Joe Rase (1976), Brian Bays(1976), Tom Turner(1974), Jeff Meadows(1978), Rod Spradlin(1978), Jack Miller(1979-played at Hawaii), Scott Gray(1980), Todd Staker and Craig Brown(both 1984), Andrew Stegman(2011), Brad Spradlin(2008), Paul Newman(1982-played at Marquette). They may not all have 1,000 points but several of them probably do and several others are probably close to that figure.

The years listed may not be totally accurate, but very close to when they played for the Pirates. I would say that they players I have listed above would be below Andrew Burleson and Mark Eaton.

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

I played with Kathy Wheeler and she did on the girls side. John Stamper did as well on the boys side. They are both 1991 graduates and are even pictured in the 1991 yearbook together with their 1000 point balls.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Here's another name of notoriety from Burg basketball........Brad Walke. I know one year he tossed in 30 against my Trojans.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Thanks Trojan Dave and Tomcat! They have a list of girls but there are some that will probably need added. I am not sure if Kathy is on it or not. I need to get what they have from the AD so that I can put it out on here and see who needs added. I wish I could ask Brad Walke about his total. I am pretty sure I remember him getting 1000 but unfortunately he died 10 years ago. Most of the other ones were on my list. I saw Tom Turner last night but failed catch him before he left the fish fry. I was going to ask him if he had. But I will track him down later this week or next. And I will work on the rest as I can.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Tanner Holden joined the 1,000 pt club today

King of Pike Hill
Waterboy

Post by King of Pike Hill »

4thgoal wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:39 pm Tanner Holden joined the 1,000 pt club today
Congrats to Tanner. Great accomplishment at a young age. Can’t wait to watch my Streaks face him and the Burg next weekend.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I think Brad Walke scored around 1300-1400 if memory serves me right. Didn't he start his Freshman year at Oak Hill or Jackson?

Also, congrats to Tanner on reaching the 1000 point club. Pretty great accomplishment for only being a Junior

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

40 points in a game I believe is going to be just a few. I think Joe Rase has the school record of 48 and I think Paul Newman scored 42 in the Regional Final in 1982 against Martins Ferry. I can't think of anyone else scoring 40. Maybe Ryan Burleson did one year??

1000 point scorers-From our years in school-Scott Gray-1980, Brad Walke-1983, Todd Staker and Craig Brown-1984

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Lol it’s Andrew Burleson. Definitely not his cousin Ryan.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

No, I believe Ryan tossed in 40 one night for the Burg. He could flat out shoot the ball.

Maybe drrabbit can back me up on that.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

That would be his brother Aaron. He was a good player.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:49 pm That would be his brother Aaron. He was a good player.
Yes, you are right. It was Aaron. Can you remember who he scored 40 against?

He didn't play his Senior year because he went to a Tennis academy school.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

No I can’t. I graduated before him. Really didn’t follow that much then but do remember he was pretty good.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

School record for points in a game is 62 but that is Edith Hall. Aaron was the better player and could well have scored 40 points. Could include 38-39 points depending on how many +40 there are.
Yabba--Are you sure about Craig Brown? I asked him and he is not sure. He added his up the best he could and came up with 968. I was going to look up 84 season and see what I could find but I suspect he fell just short. Would have made it with the 3-point line.

Return to “Boys Basketball”