District records since the Convo opened in 1969

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

District records since the Convo opened in 1969

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Per the district program Burg now holds the best record in the District at the Convo since 1969. With the win today they currently sit at 36-11, one game better in the win column than Portsmouth

I’ve watched quite a few of those Burg games over the years. Most memorable ones was probably in 1984 when Burg beat 4 really good teams here at the Convo started out by beating Albany Alexander in the District semifinals. Then beat Portsmouth in OT in the District finals. Then beat Steubenville Catholic Central in the Regional semifinals and then finished it out by beating Columbus Whitehall in the Regional final. What a run that year!!
Last edited by yabbadabbadoo on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: District records since the Convo opened in 1969

Post by Ironman92 »

I’m sitting beside the guy that compiled all of that info

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Jackson's lucky to have him. He does an excellent job with the Convo program as well.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

That was some pretty impressive stats

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

The smaller schools,class A schools didn't play at the Convo till much later than all other schools.Our district Class A schools played at Chillicothe.Class AA and Class AAA may have played at OU earlier. 1988 is when we went to 4 divisions . I think that is about the time small schools started going to OU. Regional games were at the Barn at Columbus for years. Not sure when that changed for D4. Some southeast schools played their district games at Dayton. I remember our regional game at Steubenville in 1974. The records listed don't correctly represent all the team records as is. Having said that thanks for the info in the program from the Convo games.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Hoopie74 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:44 pm The smaller schools,class A schools didn't play at the Convo till much later than all other schools.Our district Class A schools played at Chillicothe.Class AA and Class AAA may have played at OU earlier. 1988 is when we went to 4 divisions . I think that is about the time small schools started going to OU. Regional games were at the Barn at Columbus for years. Not sure when that changed for D4. Some southeast schools played their district games at Dayton. I remember our regional game at Steubenville in 1974. The records listed don't correctly represent all the team records as is. Having said that thanks for the info in the program from the Convo games.
DIV Regionals in Athens is a recent occurrence, and all District games being at the Convo is the last 40 years. In the 80’s the DII (when it first became a thing), went to Dayton for Regionals, that is where Portsmouth came out of in 88 and 89

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Wheelersburg has the best winning pct. at the Convo, but as far as district titles, Portsmouth has 37, and the Pirates are 2nd with 18. That one page in the district tournament program doesn't really reveal that much as far as the whole district tournament picture. Portsmouth is the only school in the SE district that has over 200 sectional/district tournament wins all time (208 through the 2018 season). Nobody else even comes close. I think Chillicothe and Wheelersburg are very close together for 2nd, with around 145.

Randy Heath of Jackson does do a great job compiling the district tournament information. I wish the district program would show how many district titles each school has won. Winning pct. is nice, but winning district titles is more important. This info has been shown in previous years, but not in this year's program.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

trojandave wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:34 pm Wheelersburg has the best winning pct. at the Convo, but as far as district titles, Portsmouth has 37, and the Pirates are 2nd with 18. That one page in the district tournament program doesn't really reveal that much as far as the whole district tournament picture. Portsmouth is the only school in the SE district that has over 200 sectional/district tournament wins all time (202). Nobody else even comes close. I think Chillicothe and Wheelersburg are very close together for 2nd, with around 145.

Randy Heath of Jackson does do a great job compiling the district tournament information. I wish the district program would show how many district titles each school has won. Winning pct. is nice, but winning district titles is more important. This info has been shown in previous years, but not in this year's program.
Regional program shows all winners that have come out of the Athens Regional all-time

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

The history and statistics compiled are amazing and definitely are talked about in this household.

I had 2 questions when I saw them about some local schools.

Portsmouth West is shown as only winning twice all time. I know they won a district title in 1985 with Hamilton and Jordan and etc.... I thought they also won a district Title in the Mid to late 90s when Scott Jenkins coached over there?

Minford is shown as winning 4 games. They won back to back District Titles in 94 and 95. Steve Yeagle, Sean Sommers, Wes Strickland, Ryan Conley, Chris Banks, Shane Jesse..... have they not won another game ever at The Convo? Not even one ? I thought they won at least one but I am not sure.

I brought the program home from The Division 3 Saturday contests and we talked about Alexander and that 1-16 record and how the game ended with Piketon. My wife asks “how many teams have never won at The Convo?” And I said “5”. Quickly tried to leave the room before the inevitable question that followed —- who are they? We did not want to be the answer to the Trivia question “who did New Boston beat when they finally broke through at The Convo?” Sorry Pfloyd.....

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Per the program this is just the records for the District tournament held at the Convo since it opened in 1969. This is not for the entire history of the boys basketball tournament.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pm Per the program this is just the records for the District tournament held at the Convo since it opened in 1969. This is not for the entire history of the boys basketball tournament.
What many are saying ,is many schools listed didn't start playing at the Convo till very late compared to some others. Many had districts elsewhere. You have to look at the team write ups in the middle of the program to see the actual all time records for each competing school.Your program probably had Dll or Dlll teams outlined.Mine had the D4 schools. No big deal.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

The Top 4 on the list have an incredible pedigree at the Convo however only 1 of them were in Athens this year.

If Wheelersburg can win Saturday then they can move 2 up on Portsmouth and 3 on Chesapeake. Currently 36,35 and 34 wins respectively. Ironton at 31-6 in 4th. 31 and 6!!

Only Wheelersburg (36) Fairland (6th with 17) South Webster (7th with 15—-all since 2004) Eastern Pike (12th with 12) Oak Hill (13th with 11) and Peebles (22nd with 9) and Piketon (also 22nd with 9)
Can improve their positions amongst The Top 25.

Waverly and Unioto can move into the Top 25 with a win on Friday Night. (Both with 8 wins and 10 losses)

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

From State record book: minimum wins 1100 thru 2016: Portsmouth 1381,Racine Southern 1353,Peebles1160.
Consecutive league titles: Wheelersburg 11, 1974-1984
Peebles 8 ,1980-1987
#6 Consecutive regular season wins : 60- Peebles 1980-1984.
Coaching wins 500 minimum: Norman Person 708 thru 2017, Larry Jordan 605, Arch Justice 532 , And Howie not in this edition but now at 500 I believe.
Last edited by Hoopie74 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

A lot of teams that were the old single A, Eastern, Peebles, Green, Trimble, Oak Hill to name a few, played their District games at Chillicothe High School up until about 1988 or so. Would be curious to know the records of those schools in the districts at Chillicothe High School.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Sportsnut wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:25 pm A lot of teams that were the old single A, Eastern, Peebles, Green, Trimble, Oak Hill to name a few, played their District games at Chillicothe High School up until about 1988 or so. Would be curious to know the records of those schools in the districts at Chillicothe High School.
The only ones I remember were my junior and senior years. Peebles lost to Chesapeake in 1973 final game I think 51-52 .We won in 1974 against I think South Gallia and then went to Steubenville to play Either crooksville or Zanesville Rosecrans then played Indian valley south and Huggins and lost 42-41 I think was the final. We blew a 19-3 first half lead.

Sportsnut
Waterboy

Post by Sportsnut »

I watched or played in games there from 78 to 87. Pretty sure they played earlier than 1978 but I remember 78 on. I remember Eastern, Peebles, Green, Trimble, Leesburg Fairfield. Others could have been Western, New Boston, Valley, Oak Hill, South Webster, Clay. Chillicothe High School was a great place to play because everybody was close to the floor, unlike the spacing at the Convo. Not knocking the convo for being an awesome place to play, however when the crowd is right on the floor it seems to make it more interesting IMO.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Hoopie74: The state record book is not necessarily accurate, and that is understandable, because all time records go back to a particular date, whatever date that is. It is up to the school to report wins to the OHSAA. There are too many schools for them to keep totally accurate records.

I maintain and update the records for Portsmouth HS boys basketball on www.trojanhoops.org., and after the 2017-2018 season, the Trojans have compiled a record of 1,450--767. PHS was the 8th winningest school in Ohio before this season, but even that rating is unofficial since some schools have not updated their win total to include this season.

The figure of 1,381 wins for Portsmouth is only updated through the 2014 season, according to the OHSAA website history page. Since then, the Trojans have won 20, 16, 17, and 16 games since that year. That total of 69 wins added to the 1,381 gives Portsmouth HS 1,450 wins.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 pm Hoopie74: The state record book is not necessarily accurate, and that is understandable, because all time records go back to a particular date, whatever date that is. It is up to the school to report wins to the OHSAA. There are too many schools for them to keep totally accurate records.

I maintain and update the records for Portsmouth HS boys basketball on www.trojanhoops.org., and after the 2017-2018 season, the Trojans have compiled a record of 1,450--767. PHS was the 8th winningest school in Ohio before this season, but even that rating is unofficial since some schools have not updated their win total to include this season.

The figure of 1,381 wins for Portsmouth is only updated through the 2014 season, according to the OHSAA website history page. Since then, the Trojans have won 20, 16, 17, and 16 games since that year. That total of 69 wins added to the 1,381 gives Portsmouth HS 1,450 wins.
True, I'm just throwing out a few things in the books of the OHSAA site. Just for discussion to add to the Convo thread which cites past records of teams involved. Please feel free to add. I realize all teams have won more games since those numbers were posted. We have several wins since then also. I believe we are over 1220 or so now. Have fun watching the games Trojandave.Later.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

trojandave wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 pm Hoopie74: The state record book is not necessarily accurate, and that is understandable, because all time records go back to a particular date, whatever date that is. It is up to the school to report wins to the OHSAA. There are too many schools for them to keep totally accurate records.

Interesting website, the only thing I found that I disagree with is your article on Portsmouths 67 sectional titles. In that you state that before the 1943, teams automatically advanced to the district, this isnt accurate. Portsmouth and other larger class B schools were exempted into the district, but most of the class B schools in the area had to win their county tournaments to advance to the district tournament. That is why you see some schools are called exempted still to this day.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

king kong: Two points you stated are not accurate. First, I listed Portsmouth with 64 sectional titles, not 67 as you posted. Second, Portsmouth was never a Class B school. Back then, there were two classes in Ohio HS basketball, Class A and Class B. Class A was the big school classification. PHS was in Class A, and won the Class A state championship in 1931, and was Class A runnerup in 1934. Class A and Class B remained that way until 1957, when the OHSAA reclassified the two divisions as Class AA and Class A.

As far as the sectional title total, there was no "official" sectional before 1943. There was also no regional tournament until after 1943. However, the OHSAA state tournament was either a Sweet 16 format or an Elite 8 format. The Trojans made state appearances in Class A in 1925, 1926, 1927, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1939, and 1941. Some of those were in the Sweet 16 format, while others were in the Elite 8 setup.

When I compiled the list of sectional championships for Portsmouth, I tried to equivalate what the Trojans did back then to what it takes to win a sectional title today, even though the formatting back then was different. For instance, two wins starting out the tournament I counted as a sectional title. The 64 sectional titles is not an absolutely "official" total, but rather an attempt to construe a number that connects the two time periods, before 1943 and after 1943. In some sectionals today, a team may only have to win 1 game to get to the district, especially if that team is rewarded with a high seed.

As far as my statement about teams automatically qualifying for the district, I meant the Class A schools. I knew that county tournaments existed and that the setup for them was different.

Thanks for pointing this out to me, and also for the compliments on the website. The website doesn't contain every factoid about Portsmouth basketball, but I have tried really hard to make it as accurate as possible, which is very difficult to do.

I edited the website about the 64 sectional titles to include Portsmouth as a Class A school. Thanks king kong, because it needed to be edited.

Return to “Boys Basketball”