Who will replace Ed Fry at Meigs?

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: Who will replace Ed Fry at Meigs?

Post by hawkeyepierce »

sandstorm23 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:43 pm
buckeye1981 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 am Here’s the thing about Meigs, and I’ve noticed this for many years going back to the early 2000s. Meigs has had the talent, they have had the depth (most of the time), and one can argue that they have had decent but no superb coaching. However, witness firsthand, a lot of it is the individualism that has kept Meigs from being a successful program. With that being said, I’m not putting the blame on all of the kids, but it’s almost as if a lot of them would rather put up big numbers as an individual than actually win a game. 2012 sectional championship I heard a kid, who was a junior (not giving the name) say “oh well if we lost, I still had 28 points.” That is one of the reasons Meigs doesn’t have any success when it comes to basketball down the stretch. You look at the Vinton County teams.. all friends, all hang out, all have each other’s backs and no one cares about the stat line over winning ball games. A well-known coach in the SEO area once said (once again, not mentioning the name) “Meigs has the athletes and the talent to contend for a regional, maybe even state title, and it’s been that way for years, but they cannot get passed their own egos.” Parents bickering with parents over kids not passing the ball enough to their kid, kids not shooting enough, parents coaching from the stands, all that factors in. The talent Meigs has coming into this year has potential to be some of the best Marauder talent we’ve seen in years. Hopefully they can get over the hump that is the sectional tournament and start giving people a legit reason to talk about the Marauders again instead of hearing the complaints and badgering of the coaches associated with Meigs High School. Best wishes for Coach Hill and the Marauders.
State Title?!?!? That well-known coach in SEO must not travel to Columbus, Cleveland and CIncy much to take in many ball games. :lol:
Maybe he was just trying to be nice.

Here is my favorite Meigs story. I actually have a couple, but here is my favorite. It was during the Benny Ewing era, and Vinton County was at Meigs and we were really good that year. So late in the third quarter, we are up 30 plus points, Coach Combs is subbing liberally, arguing with his coaches, as usual trying to figure out what they were going to do in the fourth quarter. It gets kind of quiet for a second and Meigs makes a turnover, we go the other way for a lay-up and then you hear this old woman's voice say with that clear Appalachian draw; "Ah Coach how about putting someone else in!" It was right behind me and clear as day. Anyway, I am sure Benny wasn't paying attention to her, a good ten to fifteen seconds go by and he sends some kid to the scorer's table and again, as clear as day, the old woman said; "Oh No! Not him!"

I am sorry. I am still rolling on the floor laughing about that. I felt bad for the kid. Is that not Meigs though?

Chuck Finley
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Finley »

TVC wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 am
Chuck Finley wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 pm If it is Jeremy Hill then he must have done some math. If the average tenure of a Meigs Head Coach is 3.4 years as somebody posted, then he must have figured he had less years than at Eastern. No other reason to come to Meigs.
Lots of reasons but mainly because of Talent in the 10th and 8th grades
Meigs is always the champions of Junior High. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard “Wait until this group gets to the high school!” Someone told me the other day that Jeremy Hill coached this year’s senior class in 7th grade and went undefeated! Not one single senior was on the active roster at the end of the season! I bet everyone back then said “wait until this group gets to the high school.” Same old story at MHS.

Chuck Finley
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Finley »

sandstorm23 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:43 pm
buckeye1981 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 am Here’s the thing about Meigs, and I’ve noticed this for many years going back to the early 2000s. Meigs has had the talent, they have had the depth (most of the time), and one can argue that they have had decent but no superb coaching. However, witness firsthand, a lot of it is the individualism that has kept Meigs from being a successful program. With that being said, I’m not putting the blame on all of the kids, but it’s almost as if a lot of them would rather put up big numbers as an individual than actually win a game. 2012 sectional championship I heard a kid, who was a junior (not giving the name) say “oh well if we lost, I still had 28 points.” That is one of the reasons Meigs doesn’t have any success when it comes to basketball down the stretch. You look at the Vinton County teams.. all friends, all hang out, all have each other’s backs and no one cares about the stat line over winning ball games. A well-known coach in the SEO area once said (once again, not mentioning the name) “Meigs has the athletes and the talent to contend for a regional, maybe even state title, and it’s been that way for years, but they cannot get passed their own egos.” Parents bickering with parents over kids not passing the ball enough to their kid, kids not shooting enough, parents coaching from the stands, all that factors in. The talent Meigs has coming into this year has potential to be some of the best Marauder talent we’ve seen in years. Hopefully they can get over the hump that is the sectional tournament and start giving people a legit reason to talk about the Marauders again instead of hearing the complaints and badgering of the coaches associated with Meigs High School. Best wishes for Coach Hill and the Marauders.
State Title?!?!? That well-known coach in SEO must not travel to Columbus, Cleveland and CIncy much to take in many ball games. :lol:
He was being nice. But TVC title is an accurate assessment.

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Post by MarauderMadness »

Jeremy Hill? Is this for real? It seems obvious to me we should turn over all varsity teams to the best coach in the school. And this guy currently doesnt even coach. Yes you heard it here first. We need.....

BLIZZARDMAN!

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Are you say Hill doesn't coach? Well of course not, there isn't a board meeting until this week right? So at best, he could be coaching next week. However, he was coaching at Eastern Local, in Meigs County, just slightly out route 7 towards Tuppers Plains. Maybe that is why you are confused. Hopefully, that helps clear things up Madness!

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

MarauderMadness wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:25 pm Jeremy Hill? Is this for real? It seems obvious to me we should turn over all varsity teams to the best coach in the school. And this guy currently doesnt even coach. Yes you heard it here first. We need.....

BLIZZARDMAN!
As I've said numerous times, come on down and have a conversation with me. But alas, it appears you are lacking the testicular fortitude to do so.

MarauderMadness
JV Team

People from our part of the building don’t travel to your area. It stinks there. :roll:

MarauderMadness
JV Team

BlizzardMan wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:01 pm
MarauderMadness wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:25 pm Jeremy Hill? Is this for real? It seems obvious to me we should turn over all varsity teams to the best coach in the school. And this guy currently doesnt even coach. Yes you heard it here first. We need.....

BLIZZARDMAN!
As I've said numerous times, come on down and have a conversation with me. But alas, it appears you are lacking the testicular fortitude to do so.
Ooooihhhh

A threat of physical violence. That’s a big step for someone like you, if you know what I mean.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

MarauderMadness wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:58 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:01 pm

BLIZZARDMAN!
Ooooihhhh

A threat of physical violence. That’s a big step for someone like you, if you know what I mean.
Not a physical threat, but if you want to talk to me about things, please do. You seem to be weirdly obsessed and of course remain anonymous while doing so. Who said anything about a physical threat? We are not in jr. high. Oh wait you might be......

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Both of you are juvenile IMO and this site has turned on to childish form of social media...sad

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Fletchlives wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:09 pm Both of you are juvenile IMO and this site has turned on to childish form of social media...sad
I agree. Falling for this troll everytime is juvenile of me. I apologize. I wish people would get kicked off fir instigating posts against other posters.

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

Did they hire Bartrum? Heard he was the front runner. How's he going to do football and basketball? Who's he think he is, Chuck Kemper? :mrgreen:

NotBlizzardMan
Waterboy

Post by NotBlizzardMan »

Bart would be a great choice. Might help save his voice too.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Can't confirm who it is, but to burst your bubbles, Coach Bartrum will only be coaching football next year. 150% devoted to football, the way it should be. Whether being genuine or condescending, it can be put to rest . The sooner the better.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Officially hired by the Meigs Local Board of Education, Coach Jeremy Hill.

sirspeed887
Waterboy

Post by sirspeed887 »

The Meigs Local Board of Education has approved the hiring of Eastern's former head coach, Jeremy Hill.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Wow! Surprises from that meeting not relating to this hire. Congrats Coach Hill.

Chuck Finley
Riding the Bench

Post by Chuck Finley »

Heard the Head football and head girls basketball coaches barely got hired. 3 votes only for each.

MarauderMadness
JV Team

Trivia questions

1. Name all of Meigs Head Football Coaches. (Hint: there have been five but one served twice).

2. Name all of Meigs Head Basketball Coaches.

The fact that you can’t quickly name all the roundball guys is what’s wrong with the program. The school board and community don’t give anyone a chance to build anything.

Return to “Boys Basketball”