JV Team

Re: Waverly Vs Unioto 3/9 @8:15

Post by Reds Fan »

Who does waverly graduate?

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Waverly plays every minute like it is the last minute of the game and they are down 6! You want a flow to the game Waverly fans, ask your coach to run an offense. You prided yourself on playing th8s way, you can’t complain about t(e officials, kind of hard to weed out calls when a team does nothing but scramble! Waverly did completely outhustle, outrebound and wanted this game more, Unioto just had more talent.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am However, it’s very hard to watch games officiated like that and there were definitely several calls that made you scratch your head. If you remember in the 2nd quarter there was a 3-4 minute stoppage of play so the officials could confide and figure out who to call the foul on after the fact...... they then still issued the foul to the wrong player. That moment was.......... interesting.
Everybody in the arena knew it was on #0 Howell (The onIy one near the play) but the initial call was on 24. The only 24 on the floor was for Unioto. After that was questioned by everyone the officials conferred. Uniotos coach was saying it’s on #0. They some how call it on #23 Wole. He must have been dead set it was on 20 something and 23 was only choice. No idea how you call a foul on someone when you have NO CLUE who it’s on. That sent Wolfe to the bench with 2 fouls after Remington was already on bench with his two fouls in the first.

Congratulations to the Sherman’s on the win and would love to see a Sherman vs Dragon Regional Championship game.
Last edited by smurray on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

king kong wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:34 am Waverly plays every minute like it is the last minute of the game and they are down 6! You want a flow to the game Waverly fans, ask your coach to run an offense. You prided yourself on playing th8s way, you can’t complain about t(e officials, kind of hard to weed out calls when a team does nothing but scramble! Waverly did completely outhustle, outrebound and wanted this game more, Unioto just had more talent.
I would agree, Unioto had more basketball talent, more experience and was the better team and that prevailed in the end. Waverly gave them everything they wanted.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Let me clarify something here:
Comments about the officiating- missed calls, no calls, wrong calls in no way shape or form changed the outcome of the game. Officials are human and miss calls. I hope no one thinks the comments I made was bashing or slamming the crew. We make assessments of the players, coaches, even fans so its natural we make assessments of the officials as well. I have seen these officials work numerous games and believe they try to be fair and call what they see. I apologize if my comments appear to be bashing or slamming them - that is not my intent.
I will say it again, Unioto did what they had to do - made the plays down the stretch and Waverly did not.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Wow... what a game! Both teams played hard and congrats to the Tanks on surviving and advancing!
I honestly thought going into this game that the Tigers would be able to keep it close in the first half and the Tanks would run away with it in the 2nd half, figured it would be about a 15 point victory for the U. If you compare these two teams, I think it is easy to see that Unioto is the better basketball team. Waverly has a ton of athletes, but no real true basketball player IMO. They don't have a guy who you can just hand the ball to when you need a bucket and just say go to work. They are able to win ball games by playing D, wearing other teams out, and getting out and running to get easy buckets. I guess I expected a lot more of the U, I came away not so impressed. Don't get me wrong, you have to be a good team to get to this point and the Tanks are. But I just don't see how Unioto has dominated the SVC for so many seasons. I think this game in a way showed that the SOC produces better overall teams compared to the SVC when looking top to bottom.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

MasterOfNone wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm Wow... what a game! Both teams played hard and congrats to the Tanks on surviving and advancing!
I honestly thought going into this game that the Tigers would be able to keep it close in the first half and the Tanks would run away with it in the 2nd half, figured it would be about a 15 point victory for the U. If you compare these two teams, I think it is easy to see that Unioto is the better basketball team. Waverly has a ton of athletes, but no real true basketball player IMO. They don't have a guy who you can just hand the ball to when you need a bucket and just say go to work. They are able to win ball games by playing D, wearing other teams out, and getting out and running to get easy buckets. I guess I expected a lot more of the U, I came away not so impressed. Don't get me wrong, you have to be a good team to get to this point and the Tanks are. But I just don't see how Unioto has dominated the SVC for so many seasons. I think this game in a way showed that the SOC produces better overall teams compared to the SVC when looking top to bottom.
Ah yes, the good old "you have to be good, but I think y'all suck" backhanded compliment

With that said, I saw both teams play 3-4 times this year and thought Unioto would win easily if they played their game, but Waverly was able to speed them up and forced them into some quick shots. It was easily the worst that I've seen them play and I saw both of their losses. Great effort from Waverly. Congratulations to Unioto for the District Championship. I would expect them to play better in their next round.

Waverly will be back at The Convo next year, but has a lot to replace in their 3 Seniors. But, they will have one of the best backcourt in Southern Ohio and a really nice wing in Wolfe.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Reds Fan wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:15 am Who does waverly graduate?
SENIORS
Clayton Howell
Ethan Adrian
Jake Reed
Ethan Crabtree

JUNIORS
Cobe Marquez
Landon Hoover
Cody Remington
Easton Wolfe
Ethan Dunn
Trevor Penrod

SOPHOMORES
Michael Goodman
Grayson Diener
Ragen Davis
Cameron Kendricks
Tanner Smallwood
Zack Brown

FRESHMEN
Zeke Brown (started varsity football)
Haydn Shanks
Gage Wheeler
Phoenix Wolfe (started varsity football - Easton’s brother)
Jackson Wise
Sawyer Pendleton
Jaxson Poe
Blaise Reader
Eli Crabtree

Some very good incoming Freshmen who could make the varsity squad - a move back and another possible move in.

I don’t think anyone really expected 18 wins this season and a District Championship game.
Waverly made it to the Convo last year but lost in round one. This year they went one game further and were so close to that District Championship.
Next year we expect to get back to the Convo but look to win the District.

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

Congrats to the U , what a run they have made over the past 4 years ! I disagree with SOC being better top to bottom in the past 4 years! I do believe a 5 win regular season Southeastern beat the mighty Oaks last year !
Last edited by bucknuts09 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

If Unioto was in the SOCII they would have lost several games the last four years.

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

But they are not ! :D
So one will never know ! :?:

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

smurray wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 pm
SENIORS
Clayton Howell
Ethan Adrian
Jake Reed
Ethan Crabtree

JUNIORS
Cobe Marquez
Landon Hoover
Cody Remington
Easton Wolfe
Ethan Dunn
Trevor Penrod

SOPHOMORES
Michael Goodman
Grayson Diener
Ragen Davis
Cameron Kendricks
Tanner Smallwood
Zack Brown

FRESHMEN
Haydn Shanks
Gage Wheeler
Jackson Wise
Sawyer Pendleton
Jaxson Poe
Blaise Reader
Eli Crabtree

Some very good incoming Freshmen who could make the varsity squad - a move back and another possible move in.

I don’t think anyone really expected 18 wins this season and a District Championship game.
Waverly made it to the Convo last year but lost in round one. This year they went one game further and were so close to that District Championship.
I really like the way waverly plays the game. I got to see them play both games at the convo and I was impressed. I think their coaching staff does a great job preparing them for each game. The whole team plays with tons of energy it’s very exciting to watch. I agree they should be back to the convo next year in the hunt for a district championship.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Sports-nut wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 pm If Unioto was in the SOCII they would have lost several games the last four years.
:roll: I seem to remember an SOC II school that picked up a series with Unioto, lost both games by 20+ and immediately dropped Unioto after. That happened within the last four years. Those two teams also played last night. The funniest part of it is that the team who dropped Unioto will now be playing them again next season once Unioto's best class ever graduates :shock:

You must not have seen the Unioto team from 3 seasons ago...or 2 years ago when they were playing better before a cheap shot injury slowed them. Last year would've been the best argument, but if the best SOC II team got pushed to the limit by PV and beat by SE, Unioto wasn't losing then either. It's okay to admit that Unioto is having a great run, it's also okay to admit that Unioto didn't play well last night but still had enough to win. Gabe Fisher nearly having a double double while throwing up before, during, and after the game is pretty impressive...but would've been more impressive if Unioto was in the SOC II, right?!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bucknuts09 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:07 pm Congrats to the U , what a run they have made over the past 4 years ! I disagree with SOC being better top to bottom in the past 4 years! I do believe a 9 win regular season Southeastern beat the mighty Oaks last year !
They only won 5 games last regular season and 9 overall lol but don't say facts!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

smurray wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:11 pm
SENIORS
Clayton Howell
Ethan Adrian
Jake Reed
Ethan Crabtree

JUNIORS
Cobe Marquez
Landon Hoover
Cody Remington
Easton Wolfe
Ethan Dunn
Trevor Penrod

SOPHOMORES
Michael Goodman
Grayson Diener
Ragen Davis
Cameron Kendricks
Tanner Smallwood
Zack Brown

FRESHMEN
Haydn Shanks
Gage Wheeler
Jackson Wise
Sawyer Pendleton
Jaxson Poe
Blaise Reader
Eli Crabtree

Great season by the Tigers! I believe that they have the best returning backcourt in the SE District and then you add Hoover as a likely starter and that's a scary 3 headed monster for a lot of teams to have to stop. I'm excited to see how the Tigers progress and I know with their outstanding staff, that they'll be put in great positions to succeed.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:26 pm
Sports-nut wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 pm If Unioto was in the SOCII they would have lost several games the last four years.
:roll: I seem to remember an SOC II school that picked up a series with Unioto, lost both games by 20+ and immediately dropped Unioto after. That happened within the last four years. Those two teams also played last night. The funniest part of it is that the team who dropped Unioto will now be playing them again next season once Unioto's best class ever graduates :shock:

You must not have seen the Unioto team from 3 seasons ago...or 2 years ago when they were playing better before a cheap shot injury slowed them. Last year would've been the best argument, but if the best SOC II team got pushed to the limit by PV and beat by SE, Unioto wasn't losing then either. It's okay to admit that Unioto is having a great run, it's also okay to admit that Unioto didn't play well last night but still had enough to win. Gabe Fisher nearly having a double double while throwing up before, during, and after the game is pretty impressive...but would've been more impressive if Unioto was in the SOC II, right?!
Danic with the fire 🔥 🔥 🔥

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mlittle wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:53 pm

I normally ignore this nonsense, but I just knew it was coming lol

I know 90-11 is an awful record over 4 years, but those 11 losses have come to, a State Ranked D1 school, 2 D1 schools who reached District play, 2 teams that lost in D2 District Finals, 4 District Champions, a Regional Champion, and only 1 of the 11 losses came against a team who didn't reach District play...a team that Unioto beat in the Sectional Finals (Chillicothe, 2016)

Our league has also had a team reach the Sweet 16 after going 5-17 in the regular season last year and another reach the District Finals this year. The SOC might be the strongest league in SE Ohio most years, but treating the SVC like a joke is wrong.

You know what, come watch our lovely cheerleaders cheer on Thursday, I'll even buy your ticket.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Much respect to you Dani! Nothing wrong with supporting your team! They have had a great run! It is fair to say that before this year Waverly was not near as good Unioto. Unioto would have faired really well in the SOC over the last few years and would have most likely won the league each year. I am not sure they would have went undefeated but man have they been good. Southeastern run last year was a bit of a fluke but they have the trophy! I think top to bottom the SOC II is probably stronger from year to year but the top of the SVC haS been as good as anybody around for quite a few years. Let's not forget that before this great run from Unioto Piketon made a run to the state as well and Southeastern probably has the second best basketball history in Southern Ohio with only Portsmouth havin won more. This year is a perfect example with Unioto going to the regionals and Piketon losing in the district finals vs the SOC II who has two teams going to the regionals and two more who lost in district finals. I hope you guys win Thursday and go on to beat Fairland if you play them in the regional finals. We will be there to watch!

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:07 am

I know 90-11 is an awful record over 4 years, but those 11 losses have come to, a State Ranked D1 school, 2 D1 schools who reached District play, 2 teams that lost in D2 District Finals, 4 District Champions, a Regional Champion, and only 1 of the 11 losses came against a team who didn't reach District play...a team that Unioto beat in the Sectional Finals (Chillicothe, 2016)

Our league has also had a team reach the Sweet 16 after going 5-17 in the regular season last year and another reach the District Finals this year. The SOC might be the strongest league in SE Ohio most years, but treating the SVC like a joke is wrong.

You know what, come watch our lovely cheerleaders cheer on Thursday, I'll even buy your ticket.
Calm down there killer I don't think anyone was bashing the SVC. All he stated was the SOC was stronger from top to bottom and that the U would have a few league loses if they were in the SOC.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:07 am

Where did I say the SVC was a joke. In my OPINION Unioto would have lost to Wheelersburg and Oak Hill and yes even one to Waverly if they was in the SOCII.

I hope your last sentence is not a insult of my daughter. If so sir I have lost all respect I had of you.

Return to “Boys Basketball”