South Webster Vs Coal Grove

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: South Webster Vs Coal Grove

Post by LucasDavenport »

Hey Joshwheeler! I think you’re referring to me.

You are correct that 18 and 22 point victories aren’t exactly close games. I watched them both and to be honest hoped both would upset you. Manchester was tied at halftime and Miller was in the game until mid 4th so I don’t consider them blowouts. But they weren’t squeakers either.

I want The Jeeps to win though so my brain says —- those were close games!! We have a chance!! You guys definitely don’t look like The Coal Grove teams that I played against and then coached against in The 80’s and 90s.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

I'm going to change my spread .I'll say coal grove by 25+. These hornets are ready to play

I’m a neutral fannnnn of every one in southern ohio
Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

reds4life wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 pm I think Coal Grove comes in as the favorite if they don't get distracted by those goofy "Roll Coal" signs all over town. Who came up with that? Is that some poor Bama reference right in the middle of Buckeye country? Was "Go Big Grove" too expensive to print up on signs? Talented team but c'mon lol :lol:
"Roll coal " came with the new coach we have that is coaching in the north/south game this year in football if you must know.. I have one of those signs . In my yard. Don't like it . Move !!why wasn't his post deleted also. It started all of that mess .his boy must not get much playing time at coal grove

Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

Change is inevitable in this small village

Waterboy
Freshman Team

Post by Waterboy »

LucasDavenport wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:52 pm Hey Joshwheeler! I think you’re referring to me.

You are correct that 18 and 22 point victories aren’t exactly close games. I watched them both and to be honest hoped both would upset you. Manchester was tied at halftime and Miller was in the game until mid 4th so I don’t consider them blowouts. But they weren’t squeakers either.

I want The Jeeps to win though so my brain says —- those were close games!! We have a chance!! You guys definitely don’t look like The Coal Grove teams that I played against and then coached against in The 80’s and 90s.
Miller wasn't in the game till mid 4th . A 4 point half time lead turns in to a 25 point 3rd qtr. . Game was squash after the 2nd . Say what you want . This team is coming to win as sure as your team is but I'll take the grove by 25+

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Waterboy I like your spirit. I hope we give you a better game than you are predicting.

We shall see on Saturday.

Jeep/pirate
Waterboy

Post by Jeep/pirate »

Coal Grove by 15. Jeeps dig themselves a hole early and unable to recover. Coal Groves guard play will win this game

Point blank
Freshman Team

Post by Point blank »

Good luck jeeps and coach Cole. Good luck hornets and Kevin. You both are doing a great job.

Sayinh that i think sw can win. At this stage, made shots and everyonr is there for a reason. They are a good team. This sectional has lots of talent in it. Blevins Ayers Conley deangelo kimbler carver bockway Ruth Caldwell sexton Robinson and many others to name a few but I wish a southern Ohio team the best in regional semis

ALLthatJAZZ
Riding the Bench

Post by ALLthatJAZZ »

Roll Cole!!!

SportsGirl83
Freshman Team

Post by SportsGirl83 »

I'm taking the Hornets in this one! Not just because I've been a Coal Grove fan my entire life, but because I believe in them. I believe in their desire, their effort and their will to play hard and as a team #ThereAreNoLimits #GoBigGrove

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

This game is going to come down to a couple things: turnovers and tempo.
Webster has to limit those turnovers and if they make CG play that slow down game this thing will be on like donkey Kong.
If we turn the ball over let CG get out and run it might be a long night.
As much as I hate that we play the slow down game, it is working. And any body that knows anything at all knows that if ain’t broke don’t fix it. The boys have bought in to some serious sit down half court defense. As soon as the ball hits half court it is game on.

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Just got home from watching Central District D4 Semis.

There were 2 semis tonight with the Championship on Saturday at 1:00. We decided to watch the 1 seed Fisher Catholic play the 7 seed Fairfield Christian Academy

The other matchup was The 2 Seed Danville vs 5 seed Tree of Life Christian. So just like our District —- 4 teams left and 7 vs 1 and 5 vs 2. Except they get 1 district Champ to Regionals and we get 2.

7 seed FCA over 1 seed Fisher Catholic and
5 seed Tree of Life over 2 Seed Danville.

FCA vs Tree of Life Saturday at 1:00. Winner to Athens Regional vs Hiland/River winner. Tuesday 3/13 at 6:00

SW/CG winner v Green/Peebles winner 3/13 at 8:00.

Elitefan
Waterboy

Post by Elitefan »

Roll COLE!!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 pm Just got home from watching Central District D4 Semis.

There were 2 semis tonight with the Championship on Saturday at 1:00. We decided to watch the 1 seed Fisher Catholic play the 7 seed Fairfield Christian Academy

The other matchup was The 2 Seed Danville vs 5 seed Tree of Life Christian. So just like our District —- 4 teams left and 7 vs 1 and 5 vs 2. Except they get 1 district Champ to Regionals and we get 2.

FCA vs Tree of Life Saturday at 1:00. Winner to Athens Regional vs Hiland/River winner. Tuesday 3/13 at 6:00

Neither of these "upsets" surprise me, to be honest. Much like the SE District, the Central District didn't have one team isolate themselves as the clear best team in the district. Once the Central District lost Harvest Prep, Wellington, Africentric, AND Newark Catholic, that district became more wide open than it's even been. I guess I'm a "little" surprised by Fairfield beating Fisher since Fisher won during the season, but Fisher wasn't light years ahead of Fairfield by any means.

The winner of the River/Hiland game will be the favorite in the Athens Regional.... but again, not by a super wide margin. Along with the SE District and Central District, the Athens Regional is more wide open than it's ever been.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:02 pm Just got home from watching Central District D4 Semis.

Wow. What a good time to be in D4 this year. I have to think Hiland is the favorite. They have already beat River once this year. They might be my pick to win D4. But, for local teams...playing against someone like Hiland is a lot better than Prep, Wellington, or Africentric

Making offers you can't refuse
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Vito Corleone wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:24 am

Wow. What a good time to be in D4 this year. I have to think Hiland is the favorite. They have already beat River once this year. They might be my pick to win D4. But, for local teams...playing against someone like Hiland is a lot better than Prep, Wellington, or Africentric
Absolutely. They match up way better with a team like Hiland than they do a Wellington/Prep/Africentric. Speed has always caused a serious issue for SE Ohio teams in the D4 Regional. Now that those teams are gone is the PERFECT opportunity for some of our D4 teams to have a legitimate and realistic shot at reaching the state tournament.

Clay wasn't far off from winning the Regional last year... if that team participated in the Regional this year I genuinely believe they go to the state tournament.

BUT! You know what they say about "if's"....

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

The teams looked very even last night to me. The important part of the scouting duo thought Fisher was 10 points better. Fisher was behind the entire time. Couldn’t get over the hump. They were down 43-40 for a few possessions in the 4th and had 5-6 opportunities in one possession to tie. Finally they tied And then took the lead at 45-43 on a transition layup — fouled so getting a free throw. At least 1/2 second after the shot went in a trailing player jumped up and hung on the rim even bringing his knees up toward his chin. Technical foul.

Momentum back to FCA. Total change.

FCA was 9-21 from the line and still won.

Agree totally that I expect Hiland/ River winner to be in the Regional Final. The cool part is that one team from our 4 will be there too. Coal Grove, South Webster, Green or Peebles will be in the Regional Final. That’s pretty cool. We will all be pulling for whoever it is.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am The teams looked very even last night to me. The important part of the scouting duo thought Fisher was 10 points better. Fisher was behind the entire time. Couldn’t get over the hump. They were down 43-40 for a few possessions in the 4th and had 5-6 opportunities in one possession to tie. Finally they tied And then took the lead at 45-43 on a transition layup — fouled so getting a free throw. At least 1/2 second after the shot went in a trailing player jumped up and hung on the rim even bringing his knees up toward his chin. Technical foul.

Momentum back to FCA. Total change.

FCA was 9-21 from the line and still won.

Agree totally that I expect Hiland/ River winner to be in the Regional Final. The cool part is that one team from our 4 will be there too. Coal Grove, South Webster, Green or Peebles will be in the Regional Final. That’s pretty cool. We will all be pulling for whoever it is.
Absolutely! I'm very happy for one of our SE Ohio teams and coaches to be in the Regional Final. No matter the outcome, it will be an experience those kids/coaches will remember forever and I hope all of SE Ohio shows up to root for whoever it may be.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

Best of luck to the Jeeps.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Darn, Lucas: I was there. Would’ve liked to have met up.

FCA is well-coached. The key for FCA was to put the clamps on Swindells (#2 for Fisher). If they did that, they were going to win. Kid led the entire central district in 3-pt % for much of the year. FCA did that and Fisher couldn’t get much of the remaining team to step up. It’s hard to beat a team three times in one year. FWIW, bbjunky: the second time around that those two played, FC had five of their primary rotational guys out for the game (March for Life trip.) Of course that means nothing now, although perhaps a testament to the coaching ability of FCA’s Roger Hooper in making the adjustments necessary for a “W” in round three. I wanted to puke when that play happened, LD. Technical foul was absolutely the right call. Just an absolutely stupid [blank]-ing move by the kid.

Was pretty heartbroken to see our season end as soon as it did, but this was one hell of a ride for my boys. No one understands what those kids, especially the seniors, have been through in their four years of playing. Four coaches in four years. Program has had as many coaches as they have had seasons since 2008. This was FC’s first winning season since the team that had the 20-win season in 07-08. Team has lost more kids to transfer outs than transfer ins.

Would’ve loved to see them make the Convo (green and white looks well there, I’m told), but I wouldn’t trade this season for anything. Incredibly proud of those kids: they dug in deep and put in the work. And I’m really proud for the coach: walking into a program that had the myriad of issues we did, and crafting a successful team in his first year is remarkable. Not saying that he’s John Wooden, but he did a great job in such a rough situation.

Anyways... I’ll likely take this one in. Really enjoyed watching SW last year. Saw Coal Grove last time they made it to the Convo as well.

Return to “Boys Basketball”