John Glenn vs Unioto

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: John Glenn vs Unioto

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

I think Unioto matches up well in this game. Tanks go as Swack goes. He’s a gamer and the best player on the team playing the most important position.
I’ll take Tanks by 5 and Swack goes for 21.

I was talking to my buddy the other night and we talked about how this is the probably the least talented Unioto team in the last 5 years (If you had to take one) but have as much success as the undefeated team. Impressive year from the Sherman’s.

Roger Mink
Freshman Team

Post by Roger Mink »

Watched Unioto about 10 times this year. Watched John Glenn once. Unioto 68-60. Fisher will have 18 rebounds. JG guards are two small and Swack will have his way.

bucknuts09
Freshman Team

Post by bucknuts09 »

Represent the SVC , bring home the W ! Good luck to the U!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Updates on The D2 thread starting at 6:15ish

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
General knowledge
Waterboy

Post by General knowledge »

This game is going, just as I assumed it would.John Glenn 56-23 running clock at the convo.

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

winningaintcheap wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Noitall wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:39 pm This won't be close John Glenn by at least 15
From what I’ve been able to collect from all of JG’s schedule and Box Scores; they are nowhere near the team they have been recently. They are short across the board. Their tallest listed player is 6’4 and seemingly never gets to touch the ball. They aim to force a lot of turnovers and score in volume. Recently, Unioto has been excellent at limiting their opponents to low point totals. Swackhammer and Kennedy are veteran ball handlers and I believe they have the tools to control the tempo and withstand the pressure. I look for this to be a very good, close game. I’ll predict Unioto moves on by a score of 62-57
Could you imagine if they WAS the team they used to being??

Can't compete with the north , better to face it then be disappointed lol

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Roger Mink wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 am Watched Unioto about 10 times this year. Watched John Glenn once. Unioto 68-60. Fisher will have 18 rebounds. JG guards are two small and Swack will have his way.
Whoops

Watching SE Ohio basketball
General knowledge
Waterboy

65-29 final

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

So... Unioto got a beat down. The updates said it was hard to watch. Help me understand- Was John Glenn just that much better? Did Unioto just have a bad night? Was Unioto not prepared to play? Any insight on this. Those that had seen both play thought this would be a decent game- I only saw one post say this game would be a blowout.

General knowledge
Waterboy

John Glenn Pressures the ball the entire game. They are much like Waverly but better. I believe I said Unioto needed to defend the flair screens, doesn’t look like they defended the flair screens since John Glenn made 9-3’s

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Not sure but Unioto looked way over matched. John Glenn was more athletic, better coached, and an all around better team. All that said I had not seen Jg this year and picked against them. Boy was I wrong
I said if earlier, Unioto had the easiest ride to the regionals I’ve seen!

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Noitall wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:39 pm This won't be close John Glenn by at least 15
This should answer you're question

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Noitall wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 pm
This should answer you're question
You were right

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Not surprised. JG is pretty good. But you'd never know it reading the pre-game hype here.

Have gun, will travel
winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

Unioto got exposed tonight for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, going 56-0 in the SVC doesn’t really prepare you to play desperate and force you to will yourself to win. So you would need a tough non conference to do that. Well, playing McClain, Miami Trace, and Washington CH every year doesn’t really help the cause either. Unioto was woefully unprepared to not play against, but to be losing to a team who was equally or more talented than they were.
In the game, Unioto was shell shocked. No adjustments. No sense of urgency. No will to win. The defense had no idea how to guard their guards. The offense had no idea how to find openings and exploit them. No matter what Hoops said, it seemed like nobody ever caught on that if they didn’t go now, they’d be done.

My suggestion, play a more humbling schedule. There’s nothing wrong with heading to the districts with 4-5 losses. Just make sure you’re better prepared to play at that level.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

winningaintcheap wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 pm Unioto got exposed tonight for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, going 56-0 in the SVC doesn’t really prepare you to play desperate and force you to will yourself to win. So you would need a tough non conference to do that. Well, playing McClain, Miami Trace, and Washington CH every year doesn’t really help the cause either. Unioto was woefully unprepared to not play against, but to be losing to a team who was equally or more talented than they were.
In the game, Unioto was shell shocked. No adjustments. No sense of urgency. No will to win. The defense had no idea how to guard their guards. The offense had no idea how to find openings and exploit them. No matter what Hoops said, it seemed like nobody ever caught on that if they didn’t go now, they’d be done.

My suggestion, play a more humbling schedule. There’s nothing wrong with heading to the districts with 4-5 losses. Just make sure you’re better prepared to play at that level.
This is what I figured may be the case. Getting to Regionals is a great accomplishment but I agree for Unioto to take the next step (if they want to that) is to upschedule. Not to bring up a dead horse but the SVC will prepare you for Division IV and III basketball tourney it will not make you elite in Division II. I think it time Unioto decide what there athletic hopes are- to be the best in the SVC or be elite in the Southeast District. By what they have done so far it is to be the best in the SVC.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Another reason for them to go to the FAC

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

hbk1999 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 pm Another reason for them to go to the FAC
No. I think they’d be better off joining the MSL.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Tonight was pretty terrible from the start. JG was quicker than we expected and obviously shot the ball better than we had seen as well. They are a very well coached and talented team. There is a reason why they are in their 5th Regional Final in 7 years. Kudos to #42 for knocking down 4 3's, especially since he hadn't really been a shooter all year for them. Shot with confidence and I'm not sure if any of them touched anything but the bottom of the net.

However, we made plenty of adjustments...just none of them that worked. We weren't a team who could press a team all night (like 2 and 3 years ago), just didn't have the depth for that. Our multiple different pressures were ineffective, which tends to happen against a team with 5 guys on the floor at all times who can handle the ball.

About our schedule: yes it needs an upgrade, we all know that. However, I'm not sure how Miami Trace doesn't get you ready, especially since they were a 1 seed last year. Now, they may be down next year, but they have been a solid team to have every year. McClain, yeah, that's one that needs dropped.

If we leave the SVC, it won't be for the FAC, unless they can prove that they will stay together for more than a couple of years. It would be a good fit, however, Chillicothe has to prove that they can stay in a league for a bit, in my opinion.

How many other D2 schools have won 2 or more District Titles in the past 4 seasons? You say that Unioto isn't an "elite" in the SE District, but only Vinton County has won 2 District Titles in the past 4 years in D2. Our schedule does need bumped up, but it hasn't stopped us before and I'm really not sure who we could've picked up this year that would've got us over that buzzsaw that we ran into tonight.

We are losing 7 amazing young men to graduation. These guys worked their tails off for the entire time that they were apart of the Unioto Basketball program and have taken it to heights that it hadn't reached in an extended period of time before. 2 will move on to play college football, 2 will move on to play college basketball, and 2 will be joining our nation's military. It obviously wasn't how we all wanted it to end, but I'll choose to remember the more positive times.

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Post by Jerry Newman »

This is what happens when Unioto plays a school their own size.

Return to “Boys Basketball”