John Glenn vs Unioto

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Re: John Glenn vs Unioto

Post by winningaintcheap »

Unioto got exposed tonight for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, going 56-0 in the SVC doesn’t really prepare you to play desperate and force you to will yourself to win. So you would need a tough non conference to do that. Well, playing McClain, Miami Trace, and Washington CH every year doesn’t really help the cause either. Unioto was woefully unprepared to not play against, but to be losing to a team who was equally or more talented than they were.
In the game, Unioto was shell shocked. No adjustments. No sense of urgency. No will to win. The defense had no idea how to guard their guards. The offense had no idea how to find openings and exploit them. No matter what Hoops said, it seemed like nobody ever caught on that if they didn’t go now, they’d be done.

My suggestion, play a more humbling schedule. There’s nothing wrong with heading to the districts with 4-5 losses. Just make sure you’re better prepared to play at that level.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

winningaintcheap wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 pm Unioto got exposed tonight for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, going 56-0 in the SVC doesn’t really prepare you to play desperate and force you to will yourself to win. So you would need a tough non conference to do that. Well, playing McClain, Miami Trace, and Washington CH every year doesn’t really help the cause either. Unioto was woefully unprepared to not play against, but to be losing to a team who was equally or more talented than they were.
In the game, Unioto was shell shocked. No adjustments. No sense of urgency. No will to win. The defense had no idea how to guard their guards. The offense had no idea how to find openings and exploit them. No matter what Hoops said, it seemed like nobody ever caught on that if they didn’t go now, they’d be done.

My suggestion, play a more humbling schedule. There’s nothing wrong with heading to the districts with 4-5 losses. Just make sure you’re better prepared to play at that level.
This is what I figured may be the case. Getting to Regionals is a great accomplishment but I agree for Unioto to take the next step (if they want to that) is to upschedule. Not to bring up a dead horse but the SVC will prepare you for Division IV and III basketball tourney it will not make you elite in Division II. I think it time Unioto decide what there athletic hopes are- to be the best in the SVC or be elite in the Southeast District. By what they have done so far it is to be the best in the SVC.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

Another reason for them to go to the FAC

winningaintcheap
Riding the Bench

Post by winningaintcheap »

hbk1999 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 pm Another reason for them to go to the FAC
No. I think they’d be better off joining the MSL.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Tonight was pretty terrible from the start. JG was quicker than we expected and obviously shot the ball better than we had seen as well. They are a very well coached and talented team. There is a reason why they are in their 5th Regional Final in 7 years. Kudos to #42 for knocking down 4 3's, especially since he hadn't really been a shooter all year for them. Shot with confidence and I'm not sure if any of them touched anything but the bottom of the net.

However, we made plenty of adjustments...just none of them that worked. We weren't a team who could press a team all night (like 2 and 3 years ago), just didn't have the depth for that. Our multiple different pressures were ineffective, which tends to happen against a team with 5 guys on the floor at all times who can handle the ball.

About our schedule: yes it needs an upgrade, we all know that. However, I'm not sure how Miami Trace doesn't get you ready, especially since they were a 1 seed last year. Now, they may be down next year, but they have been a solid team to have every year. McClain, yeah, that's one that needs dropped.

If we leave the SVC, it won't be for the FAC, unless they can prove that they will stay together for more than a couple of years. It would be a good fit, however, Chillicothe has to prove that they can stay in a league for a bit, in my opinion.

How many other D2 schools have won 2 or more District Titles in the past 4 seasons? You say that Unioto isn't an "elite" in the SE District, but only Vinton County has won 2 District Titles in the past 4 years in D2. Our schedule does need bumped up, but it hasn't stopped us before and I'm really not sure who we could've picked up this year that would've got us over that buzzsaw that we ran into tonight.

We are losing 7 amazing young men to graduation. These guys worked their tails off for the entire time that they were apart of the Unioto Basketball program and have taken it to heights that it hadn't reached in an extended period of time before. 2 will move on to play college football, 2 will move on to play college basketball, and 2 will be joining our nation's military. It obviously wasn't how we all wanted it to end, but I'll choose to remember the more positive times.

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Post by Jerry Newman »

This is what happens when Unioto plays a school their own size.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Jerry Newman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 pm This is what happens when Unioto plays a school their own size.
Like the other 3 tournament games this year where they won. Maybe you should start your annual "Unioto should leave the SVC" thread, since it's about that time :roll:

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:37 pm Tonight was pretty terrible from the start. JG was quicker than we expected and obviously shot the ball better than we had seen as well. They are a very well coached and talented team. There is a reason why they are in their 5th Regional Final in 7 years. Kudos to #42 for knocking down 4 3's, especially since he hadn't really been a shooter all year for them. Shot with confidence and I'm not sure if any of them touched anything but the bottom of the net.

However, we made plenty of adjustments...just none of them that worked. We weren't a team who could press a team all night (like 2 and 3 years ago), just didn't have the depth for that. Our multiple different pressures were ineffective, which tends to happen against a team with 5 guys on the floor at all times who can handle the ball.

About our schedule: yes it needs an upgrade, we all know that. However, I'm not sure how Miami Trace doesn't get you ready, especially since they were a 1 seed last year. Now, they may be down next year, but they have been a solid team to have every year. McClain, yeah, that's one that needs dropped.

If we leave the SVC, it won't be for the FAC, unless they can prove that they will stay together for more than a couple of years. It would be a good fit, however, Chillicothe has to prove that they can stay in a league for a bit, in my opinion.

How many other D2 schools have won 2 or more District Titles in the past 4 seasons? You say that Unioto isn't an "elite" in the SE District, but only Vinton County has won 2 District Titles in the past 4 years in D2. Our schedule does need bumped up, but it hasn't stopped us before and I'm really not sure who we could've picked up this year that would've got us over that buzzsaw that we ran into tonight.

We are losing 7 amazing young men to graduation. These guys worked their tails off for the entire time that they were apart of the Unioto Basketball program and have taken it to heights that it hadn't reached in an extended period of time before. 2 will move on to play college football, 2 will move on to play college basketball, and 2 will be joining our nation's military. It obviously wasn't how we all wanted it to end, but I'll choose to remember the more positive times.
Well said Dani! I don't see anything wrong with their schedule. You played Trace, Chilly, and someone good in the TW tourney along with Fairfield Union. That is no slouches by any means. With that now you are blaming their "REGIONAL SEMI LOSS ON MCLAIN"... Come on!!!! Just enjoy the ride those kids have had! The U has been fortunate to have had a nice mix of upper classman for the last few years. Now is not the time to be "upscheduling" when you are about to have a youth movement that the U hasn't experienced in a few years.

Jerry Newman
Waterboy

Post by Jerry Newman »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm
Jerry Newman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 pm This is what happens when Unioto plays a school their own size.
Like the other 3 tournament games this year where they won. Maybe you should start your annual "Unioto should leave the SVC" thread, since it's about that time :roll:
Already did. It's on the football forum. Sad thing about Unioto is being twice the size of everyone else in the SVC wasn't enough. They had to go out and get Swackhammer and Hill from other districts.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Roger Mink wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 am Watched Unioto about 10 times this year. Watched John Glenn once. Unioto 68-60. Fisher will have 18 rebounds. JG guards are two small and Swack will have his way.
Just curious as to how this prognostication worked out for you? You seem to be a great talent evaluator, I’m surprised the Warriors have not snapped you up yet as their lead scout.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Jerry Newman wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 pm
Already did. It's on the football forum. Sad thing about Unioto is being twice the size of everyone else in the SVC wasn't enough. They had to go out and get Swackhammer and Hill from other districts.
Our 3 Freshmen who dressed in the tournament came from ZT (in 6th grade) too, so you can whine about that in the future too.

I assume that you struggle with math since there are 2 other SVC schools who are D2/D4 now. Not sure if that's twice as big as those either. But, just keep complaining instead of working harder, it seems to work out well for whoever you support.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:37 pm Tonight was pretty terrible from the start. JG was quicker than we expected and obviously shot the ball better than we had seen as well. They are a very well coached and talented team. There is a reason why they are in their 5th Regional Final in 7 years. Kudos to #42 for knocking down 4 3's, especially since he hadn't really been a shooter all year for them. Shot with confidence and I'm not sure if any of them touched anything but the bottom of the net.

Great post. You are correct that Unioto needs to bump up the non-league schedule some (although next year may not be the year with five new starters), and you are also correct that if Unioto played the best non-league schedule in the SE tonight that it wouldn't have made a difference. John Glenn was just better than Unioto. Sometimes that happens.

I'd love to see Unioto in the MSL if Teays Valley leaves to go to a new league.

Congrats to the U on a good season.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

SHOTS FIRED!!!!!

Unioto strives for more than winning the SVC. But deep playoff runs is what its really about. You gotta have transfers and do some recruiting for that and Hoops aligned this team nicely over the last 4 years. They are in a rebuilding mode now. But it was a good ride!

side note. People who complain about the transfers have a coach who has not adapted to HS ball in 2018 and likely are uber jealous that their coach cannot land anyone to take them to the next level lol. Salt!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Question, where did Hill move in from and when? I know Swack came from Jackson but to Hoops credit, Jackson is the one that screwed that situation up.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:33 am Question, where did Hill move in from and when? I know Swack came from Jackson but to Hoops credit, Jackson is the one that screwed that situation up.
Zane Trace. Sophomore year I believe.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Please stop with the Unioto leaving the SVC. How soon people forget before this great group of talent came through Unioto was not very good. As soon as I sat down for the game last night I was concerned. John Glenn had many 6ft to 6ft 2 strong guards with long arms to defend. The matchup was very bad for Fisher, Kennedy, Hill and the other bigger guard the U has. Swack had the only advantage. Game over they are better. All of you experts need to go watch a D1 game in Columbus and see how fundamental defensive physical teams win games regularly.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:22 am

side note. People who complain about the transfers have a coach who has not adapted to HS ball in 2018 and likely are uber jealous that their coach cannot land anyone to take them to the next level lol. Salt!
If this is high school basketball, what life lesson are we teaching these students? Only 1 team per division go out winners, everyone else finishes the season with a loss. I would rather work with what I have, than sell my soul to win a high school basketball game!

Maybe, 3 to 4 percent go on to the next level from high school!

As for this game, not much to say. You cant argue that Unioto has been blessed over the last several seasons.

Boomcat34
Waterboy

Post by Boomcat34 »

Never seen Unioto play this year, but I wasn't very impressed. JG shot the ball well, yes, but after hearing all the hype about "The U", I thought they would bring at least some toughness, if nothing else.

I think the results from both games last night show that fundamentally sound, strong defensive teams win games.

Also have to keep in mind though, these are 16-18 yr old kids we're talking about. They aren't professionals, and getting them to be able to play at their A game every night is very difficult to do.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I had talked to someone close to the program and it wasn't that they didn't match-up well with JG, but rather everything they did went right, and everything they did went wrong. For example, you have a kid who has only made eight threes all year, but comes into the Convo and makes four in the first quarter. I don't care how good of coach you are, you can't prepare for that, and when it happens, there are not adjustments that can be made to stop it. Furthermore, JG maybe only missed three shots in the first half.

I know what it feels like, the year Chillicothe won the state, 2008, they drilled Vinton County in the regional semi-finals on a similar shooting performance. If I remember correctly, they were 10/14 from behind the arc, for 71%. How do you defend that? You secretly hope that Humpty sprains an ankle? What do you do?

This scheduling argument is non-sense. First, to even to get to the regionals, one, you have to be a great team, two, you have to be a little lucky along the way, and three, you have to expect the unexpected. And once, you get to this level, you are going to run into teams, that are just better, some with better athletes, better basketball players, and better coaching. There is no scheduling wand that can duplicate that atmosphere, or competitiveness, while trying to maintain success. Think about it. There is a fine line between scheduling to be competitive and successful and being beat for the sake of playing up. After all, if you accumulate losses, you are no longer a team with preferred seeding.

For example, this year for Vinton County. We had a "snake-bitten" year, injuries throughout the season and it hurt us. As a team, at full strength, we played only ten games, and went 9-1. But because we had six losses, going into the draw, we were the four seed, and probably been fortunate to have that. However, where did that put us, playing the "allegedly" best team in the tournament.

Just saying.

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:39 am I had talked to someone close to the program and it wasn't that they didn't match-up well with JG, but rather everything they did went right, and everything they did went wrong. For example, you have a kid who has only made eight threes all year, but comes into the Convo and makes four in the first quarter. I don't care how good of coach you are, you can't prepare for that, and when it happens, there are not adjustments that can be made to stop it. Furthermore, JG maybe only missed three shots in the first half.

I know what it feels like, the year Chillicothe won the state, 2008, they drilled Vinton County in the regional semi-finals on a similar shooting performance. If I remember correctly, they were 10/14 from behind the arc, for 71%. How do you defend that? You secretly hope that Humpty sprains an ankle? What do you do?

This scheduling argument is non-sense. First, to even to get to the regionals, one, you have to be a great team, two, you have to be a little lucky along the way, and three, you have to expect the unexpected. And once, you get to this level, you are going to run into teams, that are just better, some with better athletes, better basketball players, and better coaching. There is no scheduling wand that can duplicate that atmosphere, or competitiveness, while trying to maintain success. Think about it. There is a fine line between scheduling to be competitive and successful and being beat for the sake of playing up. After all, if you accumulate losses, you are no longer a team with preferred seeding.

For example, this year for Vinton County. We had a "snake-bitten" year, injuries throughout the season and it hurt us. As a team, at full strength, we played only ten games, and went 9-1. But because we had six losses, going into the draw, we were the four seed, and probably been fortunate to have that. However, where did that put us, playing the "allegedly" best team in the tournament.

Just saying.
Wrong, All you have to look at is Unioto's point total. This matchup was bad. Swackhammer has shot making ability so he got some decent shots off. Kennedy had very few looks at all, Fisher for the first time all year had a kid his size that was stronger than him and could not get to those loose balls like usual, hill had no shot at guarding his man, and fifth guard was totally overwhelmed. It wasn't John Glenn's point total that was the problem it was Unioto's. Bad matchup. End of story.

Return to “Boys Basketball”