John Glenn vs Unioto

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: John Glenn vs Unioto

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

svc_guy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 am
hawkeyepierce wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:39 am I had talked to someone close to the program and it wasn't that they didn't match-up well with JG, but rather everything they did went right, and everything they did went wrong. For example, you have a kid who has only made eight threes all year, but comes into the Convo and makes four in the first quarter. I don't care how good of coach you are, you can't prepare for that, and when it happens, there are not adjustments that can be made to stop it. Furthermore, JG maybe only missed three shots in the first half.

I know what it feels like, the year Chillicothe won the state, 2008, they drilled Vinton County in the regional semi-finals on a similar shooting performance. If I remember correctly, they were 10/14 from behind the arc, for 71%. How do you defend that? You secretly hope that Humpty sprains an ankle? What do you do?

This scheduling argument is non-sense. First, to even to get to the regionals, one, you have to be a great team, two, you have to be a little lucky along the way, and three, you have to expect the unexpected. And once, you get to this level, you are going to run into teams, that are just better, some with better athletes, better basketball players, and better coaching. There is no scheduling wand that can duplicate that atmosphere, or competitiveness, while trying to maintain success. Think about it. There is a fine line between scheduling to be competitive and successful and being beat for the sake of playing up. After all, if you accumulate losses, you are no longer a team with preferred seeding.

For example, this year for Vinton County. We had a "snake-bitten" year, injuries throughout the season and it hurt us. As a team, at full strength, we played only ten games, and went 9-1. But because we had six losses, going into the draw, we were the four seed, and probably been fortunate to have that. However, where did that put us, playing the "allegedly" best team in the tournament.

Just saying.
Wrong, All you have to look at is Unioto's point total. This matchup was bad. Swackhammer has shot making ability so he got some decent shots off. Kennedy had very few looks at all, Fisher for the first time all year had a kid his size that was stronger than him and could not get to those loose balls like usual, hill had no shot at guarding his man, and fifth guard was totally overwhelmed. It wasn't John Glenn's point total that was the problem it was Unioto's. Bad matchup. End of story.
I agree. Unioto had did not match up with that physicality at all. They got beat up on all aspects but specifically the 'intensity' of on ball defense.

Hats off to JG coach, man. If you looked at JG you wouldn't say they 'scream' athleticism. But man they come at you allllll night. Only thing they are missing are boxing gloves.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

JG’s title year they played so many good teams and probably the hardest schedule any team around here has ever faced/Fairland coming close. Unioto couldn’t have thrown anything at JG’s coach that he wouldn’t have had an answer for. He did lead his team to beating SVSM when SVSM had Jayvon Graves (Plays for Buffalo-beat Arizona last night) and Henry Baddley (plays at butler). Unioto had and excellent season and have a lot to be proud of.

Boomcat34
Waterboy

Post by Boomcat34 »

JG's coach is one of the best in the state of Ohio. I figured they would win, maybe not by this much, but I thought they would definitely win. Woodard is as intelligent and experienced a coach as they come. We play them every year and no matter how much of their talent has "supposedly" dropped off, they still compete every single game.

John Glenn wins games by coming at you and wearing you down physically and mentally for 32 minutes, nonstop. It doesn't matter how much offensive talent the opposing team has - if they aren't used to the in-your-face pressure that JG brings, they will struggle. If you can't get in your rhythm as an offense, you won't score much, and thats what Woodard coaches his kids to do - take the other team out of their element.

The fact that JG does this year after year just shows how good of a coach they have. It is incredibly difficult to coach 16-18 yr old kids to buy into winning with defense, and definitely ain't easy to get kids to work hard enough to get in the right physical condition to be able to continue a 100% attack for 32 minutes of game action.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Didn't surprise me as to who won, but the margin was shocking. Thought the Shermans would play more competitive than that. Still, making it to the regionals is a great season for UHS.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

I was not at the John Glenn-Unioto game and ask was John Glenn the better team or did Unioto have a bad night or were they not prepared. Unioto has had outstanding regular seasons for about 5 years and have won 56 straight league games. I have read Unioto lacked intensity and were outplayed in all areas of the game. So how does a school having won 56 league games in row and had great regular seasons for 5 years and making the schools 3rd Regional Appearance show up and lack intensity and get outplayed in all areas of the game and lose 36 points in Regional Semi-final. Yes, it seems John Glenn was the better team but to show up and lack intensity and get outhustled when you have worked for 3 years to get back to the Regionals.
Not one person mention that yes Unioto got beat by the better team but they played hard and went at it til the very end- if that were the case then hats off but it sure does not seem to be the case.
That's why I question is Unioto just happy to win game in the SVC and get to Regionals every so often. With the talent Unioto has had the last 5 years they may never be able to match the success they have had the last 5 year. I would think that getting to regionals a couple years ago and losing to Walnut Ridge by 1 point would make the U hungry to get back and to take the next step. But showing up lacking intensity and get outhustled I think is disappointing.

Return to “Boys Basketball”