Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

Pol pot
SE

Re: Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

Post by Pol pot »

bsee12345 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:09 pm The football divisor is 2 so you have to divide the competitive balance number by 2 to see how many kids you are looking at. So Wheelersburg competitive balance is 30 so divide by 2 is 15 kids maximum. Could be less if the program has some 2 rating kids.
If a kid had been attending the school since before the 7th grade they get a 0 rating.
Entering the school district in 7th or 8th grade get a 1 rating.
Entering the school in 9th grade or higher is a 2 rating.

Add up your rosters rating and multiple the football divisor of 2.

Harvest Prep has a basketball competitive number of 120 with basketball by a divisor of 5. So up to 24 kids in the Harvest Prep basketball have entered the school since 7th grade.
HP had 12, 11 of which enrolled after last school year ended.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Sobering thought for Burg is no matter how great of players Holden and Truitt are, they have no chance to compete with whatever machine the Central District sends down to Athens. It took a monster performance from Holden just to stay within 20 of Harvest Prep.

Don't see anything changing next year as D3 has become the AAU cess pool division due to competitive balance pushing the private schools out of D4.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

So much for Burg thinking they lost to the eventual State Champs, as Harvest went down last night.

Not only do I not think they lost to the team who lost to the eventual state champion, I think they lost to the team that lost to to the team that lost to the state champion (wrap your mind around that conundrum).

In lesser words, I think Deer Park wins the D3 title.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Congrats to Burg for going farther than most school in Ohio. Plus they advanced past the school were these people are putting them down. Not many school win a fall championship and advance as far as they did in a winter sports. Burg will do well in the spring sports too. Good chance of winning the SOC track crown in both boys and girls. Sounds like a very solid 2017/18 year in sports for THE BURG.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:38 am Sobering thought for Burg is no matter how great of players Holden and Truitt are, they have no chance to compete with whatever machine the Central District sends down to Athens. It took a monster performance from Holden just to stay within 20 of Harvest Prep.

Don't see anything changing next year as D3 has become the AAU cess pool division due to competitive balance pushing the private schools out of D4.*
AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY, AFRICENTRIC (CAN ENROLL ANYONE IN COLUMBUS WHEN WANTING TO) AND DEER PARK (8 TRANSFERS) IN DIII THIS YEAR. WHO CARES WHO WINS BUT ONE OF THEM HAS TO LOSE. AS SAID ABOVE, THE CB HAS PUSHED THE PRIVATE DIV SCHOOLS DOWN A DIVISION BUT EVEN AT THAT YOU NOW HAVE THE CORNERSTONE'S OF THE WORLD THE LAST FEW YEARS (MOSTLY 'CHRISTIAN' NOT CATHOLIC SCHOOLS)TO THE FOREFRONT OF DIV IN BASKETBALL. IT'LL NEVER STOP.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

This topic has been hilarious! It is the same principle that Burg lives by. Develop the best athletic program and school and kids will come! Just be cause schools are located in the city does not change it. Yes ... they have more kids to encourage to come to their school but it is the same principle! Do not give me this crap school personnel does not encourage kids to attend their schools.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Harvest Prep recruits
Wheelersburg recruits

What are we arguing about? Who’s better at recruiting?

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:27 pm Harvest Prep recruits
Wheelersburg recruits

No recruiting necessary. Until other HS programs get better where do you want to play in Scioto County? And academically you’ll do well. Like the field of dreams...build it and they will come.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

rxburgfan wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:55 pm
Wheelersburg recruits

No recruiting necessary. Until other HS programs get better where do you want to play in Scioto County? And academically you’ll do well. Like the field of dreams...build it and they will come.
That's a sad state of affair . Wonder how many of these kids regret transferring . TOUGHER TRANSFER RULES SHOULD BE FORTH COMING and they just might be .Come on OHSAA step forward . I'm looking for improvement.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 pm
rxburgfan wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:55 pm
Wheelersburg recruits

That's a sad state of affair . Wonder how many of these kids regret transferring . TOUGHER TRANSFER RULES SHOULD BE FORTH COMING and they just might be .Come on OHSAA step forward . I'm looking for improvement.
Let's say that awful new rule passes. A kid who might need to transfer for a variety of reasons (that could be beyond basketball, football, etc.), they will miss an entire season of athletics. Because really, what coach is going to play someone who will be gone after the first half of the season? Y'all say it'll be better, but people would just find more creative ways around it and honestly things would be even worse.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Serious recruiting question, is it worse to successfully recruit a player to your school or unsuccessfully recruit several players to your school?

In my opinion, those coaches should be hammered just as much as someone who is caught successfully recruiting.

Also, I'm pretty sure that 90% of the recruiting that happens in this area of the state is unsuccessful. I'd personally much rather go to Wheelersburg for athletics than the other Scioto County schools.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

:?:
Prime Time wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 pm Here’s a question. Do you go in debt, borrow from relatives spend your paycheck just for sports and staying up with the Jones’s most family’s struggle to just get by and kids are at a disadvantage from the start. Anyone else have thoughts on these theory’s.

You’re talking lower level stuff. At the varsity level,usually the best player plays. At burg they’ve done a pretty good job just not offering to the kid who comes to all the board meetings. Youth sports is the worst thing in America right now. The worst.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:41 am :?:
Prime Time wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 pm Here’s a question. Do you go in debt, borrow from relatives spend your paycheck just for sports and staying up with the Jones’s most family’s struggle to just get by and kids are at a disadvantage from the start. Anyone else have thoughts on these theory’s.

You’re talking lower level stuff. At the varsity level,usually the best player plays. At burg they’ve done a pretty good job just not offering to the kid who comes to all the board meetings. Youth sports is the worst thing in America right now. The worst.
I’ll go even further and say that AAU basketball and club soccer are biggest offenders.

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

Kids recruit kids on the AAU circuit in SE Ohio more so than coaches.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am
Urban wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 pm
spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:41 am At the end of the day, you are highly mistaken if you think Wheelersburg coaches actively recruit players....it just doesn't happen
I'll just say that there are alot of people who will disagree with that statement. Even been some examples mentioned in this thread.
Wheelersburg image does a lot of recruiting itself, no doubt. But to say your program doesn't recruit is like saying improper benefits does not exist at the college level.

LOL it is a fact that the program or coaches do NOT recruit, However I do agree the Wheelersburg image and success make some people want to come .

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

Sport Fan wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:15 pm
CavalierAlum05 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am
Urban wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 pm

I'll just say that there are alot of people who will disagree with that statement. Even been some examples mentioned in this thread.
Wheelersburg image does a lot of recruiting itself, no doubt. But to say your program doesn't recruit is like saying improper benefits does not exist at the college level.

LOL it is a fact that the program or coaches do NOT recruit, However I do agree the Wheelersburg image and success make some people want to come .
So how do you know this for fact?

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

It's almost like a disease, surrounding programs lose players to Wheelersburg based off of perception and an inferiority complex. This is almost not curable because of the continuation of talent/students leaving their home districts to attend Wheelersburg which of course continues the cycle because this process by default makes them better athletically which in return attracts more families to want to wear orange and black. The numbers of quality parents and students also make it easy to shun or self-police a group that is "not doing it the right way" or meeting the Wheelersburg standard while at other schools, admin and coaches almost want to passify or coddle this parent or athlete in fear of him/her leaving and making the struggle even more difficult for the program.

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

My problem with Burg is this.. There are numerous people that I know that have transferred to Wheelersburg and then automatically get that sense of entitlement like no one is above them. Those are the people I cannot stand. You'll get these people that move in and walk around like they are better than everyone else. Like they are automatically State Champs even though their son/daughter wasn't even a part of a championship team.

Now, there are plenty of true Wheelersburg people out there that I like and think the world of. I find that those people that have been born and raised in Wheelersburg don't have that attitude. They are successful but more humble. They don't try and throw it in your face. I respect that. Great people. It's the move in's that seem to try and do all the talking. I don't have any respect for that

Making offers you can't refuse
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

rxburgfan wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:57 pm
wobycat wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:41 am :?:

I’ll go even further and say that AAU basketball and club soccer are biggest offenders.
Same can be said for travel softball

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Vito Corleone wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 am My problem with Burg is this.. There are numerous people that I know that have transferred to Wheelersburg and then automatically get that sense of entitlement like no one is above them. Those are the people I cannot stand. You'll get these people that move in and walk around like they are better than everyone else. Like they are automatically State Champs even though their son/daughter wasn't even a part of a championship team.

Now, there are plenty of true Wheelersburg people out there that I like and think the world of. I find that those people that have been born and raised in Wheelersburg don't have that attitude. They are successful but more humble. They don't try and throw it in your face. I respect that. Great people. It's the move in's that seem to try and do all the talking. I don't have any respect for that
Truest statement on board and it continues to get worse.

Return to “Boys Basketball”