Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

Post by fbnut »

What are these coaches doing that many call recruiting? If a parent asks a coach in church “hey little billy is interested in coming to your school”. If the coach says “great we would love to have you”. Is that considered recruiting? I really don’t think any local coach would be dumb enough to text or call kids and leave a record.

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

All calls are made payphone to payphone from the Ridge Mart, Super Quik, and Minford Kwik Stop... Lol

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I find it humorous that some on here are trying to teach humility to some Wheelersburg posters.

You can’t do it.

I graduated from Wheelersburg in 1986 and trust me — the class of 85 and 86 tried to teach Wheelersburg humility. We lost more football and basketball games in those two years than you would believe Wheelersburg could and it simply didn’t work.

:-).

My junior year in basketball — coming off a 6-4 football season we started 0-2 losing to Fairland and Jackson. Then we went to Valley. 37 game SOC2 winning streak and there were only 6 teams in SOC2 in basketball then (Waverly, West, Valley, Minford, Northwest and Burg—so it had been 4 seasons since we had lost an SOC2 game) Valley beat us. Bad. By 40. Waverly hit a last second shot to beat us mid-season at Waverly — 7 days after beating us by 27 at Burg and their fans stormed the court! We were 1-8 or 2-10 something at the time but — our uniforms still said The Burg so ... court storming was in order. Finished 6-15. We did beat Valley 57-55 in the second game late in the year —- Lovenguth could coach a little bit — and we still beat Webster in the lone time we played them that year 40-34 because they happened to be worse than we were but we were pretty bad.

Didn’t teach Wheelersburg humility though.

4 years later a State Title was won in football and coming off of a Final 4 appearance in basketball The USA Today ranked Wheelersburg in their Top 25 for a week. Yes— That Top 25. People hated Wheelersburg then and it was 30 years ago.

But you can’t teach them humility. It’s impossible. Some — sure. But all of them ? Really?

And after living outside of Wheelersburg since marrying a South Webster girl in 1990 and working around the county I realized something. Most every other school in Scioto County and a few in Pike and a few in Lawrence —- ask their athletes one question — who do you want to beat the most? Answer will come quickly— Wheelersburg.

And that’s why it’s hard to teach them humility. Everyone gives Wheelersburg their best shot. They let up and they get beaten and then have their faces rubbed in it. Trust me the basketball seasons of 84-85 and 85-86 taught me that. People love to beat Wheelersburg.

But don’t think you can teach them humility!!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

Sport Fan wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:46 pm LOL, Are you serious ??? I have been raised in the Burg and have played sports here in the Burg, one thing I appreciate more than anything is how blessed we are over the years to have Great coaches that have high Integrity and they not only know how to coach , they invest in our kids about life lessons and responsibility , we adversity comes your way in life ( on a field , court etc) it is not what happens to you the counts, it is how you react to it that does. Again I Know for a fact that Burg coaches do Not recruit!!!!! never had to over all these years because of the Integrity and character of the coaches that we have , it is community pride and support, I do not some kids/parents in the last few years wanted or have their kids to come to the Burg to be a part of this culture, that is all on them. By they way some of those kids that made their way here, do not always get to play the position that they would like , you have to earn no matter who you are to make the Team better. Now for the bragging part , that is always a possibility .
So your calling me a liar by saying in no way could Wheelersburg ever be guilty of recruiting and such because all current and past Wheelersburg coaches exemplify high class and character? Does the name Mike Schmidt ring a bell?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Cato wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:05 am
Sport Fan wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:46 pm LOL, Are you serious ??? I have been raised in the Burg and have played sports here in the Burg, one thing I appreciate more than anything is how blessed we are over the years to have Great coaches that have high Integrity and they not only know how to coach , they invest in our kids about life lessons and responsibility , we adversity comes your way in life ( on a field , court etc) it is not what happens to you the counts, it is how you react to it that does. Again I Know for a fact that Burg coaches do Not recruit!!!!! never had to over all these years because of the Integrity and character of the coaches that we have , it is community pride and support, I do not some kids/parents in the last few years wanted or have their kids to come to the Burg to be a part of this culture, that is all on them. By they way some of those kids that made their way here, do not always get to play the position that they would like , you have to earn no matter who you are to make the Team better. Now for the bragging part , that is always a possibility .
So your calling me a liar by saying in no way could Wheelersburg ever be guilty of recruiting and such because all current and past Wheelersburg coaches exemplify high class and character? Does the name Mike Schmidt ring a bell?
Burgs success recruits. Coaches don’t have to.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

2quick2catch wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:25 pm All calls are made payphone to payphone from the Ridge Mart, Super Quik, and Minford Kwik Stop... Lol
I heard it was all done by burner phones and secret document drop offs with the financial info and contracts at the wheelersburg park :lol:

Pickoff42
Waterboy

Post by Pickoff42 »

Cato-
1. You really should leave the "Mike Schmidt" thing alone. That was an awful incident that occurred, and could have occurred, in ANY community. And it involved a child who will have to deal with the ramifications of that person's actions for the rest of her life. Cato, to bring that up is one of the most classless things I have ever read on seopreps.com.
2. To everyone commenting, accusing, trying to make something of something that isn't here (recruiting), I would remind you that you probably are most likely ADULTS hating on 14--18 year old CHILDREN just because they go to a particular HS and their uniforms say "PIRATES" or WHEELERSBURG" on the front. KIDS. Why don't you try to remember that??
3. Again, I came from Jackson County. Wellston, to be exact. Back when I played we were not respected at all by anyone, but we learned that we had to work harder than others to achieve what we wanted. For the 3 years I was on the varsity basketball team, we were 29-0 at home. Now, I have read many negative things about Wellston sports (more than likely by ADULT posters). I am just glad my children have the opportunity to go to a school where there is TREMENDOUS civic pride in their school. Wellston had NONE before we stepped it up. We worked. We didn't care that people thought very lowly of us. We had guys who moved into and out of our district back then. Some went to the evil demon of Jackson (what we perceived to be at the time). However, if I moved back to Jackson County today, I'm 100% sure I would want my child to go to Jackson even though Jackson was always the hated rival.

I guess I'll never understand Scioto County sports fans. Are there some rotten eggs (i.e.parents, fans) at the Burg who beat their chest and go overboard? ABSOLUTELY! But aren't there at every school? People, listen: your district and civic pride is what you are going to make it and if you step up your feelings on your schools, your children will see that. Minford has wonderful schools. So does Valley. So does West. Sciotoville. Notre Dame. Green. New Boston. Portsmouth. I've probably left someone out, and I'm sorry. Get behind your kids at your own district and they will continue to have pride once they leave school, and they in turn will be proud to have been alumnusts (sp?) from there and maybe will bring their own children and families someday back into the district. You all are so ate up with what Wheelersburg students, STUDENTS, KIDS (at the time) have and are accomplishing and have accomplished, you are losing site of what your kids in your particular districts have/will/could accomplish.

All I've learned since living in this district that even if you live or tell someone that you live in "The Burg," you get a look. But I proudly do. Please everyone...step up your own civic pride and make your district a proud place to call home. Maybe Scioto County will not have such a bad reputation then. Quit hating on us. A vast majority of Burgites respect everyone else in the county. Try respecting us, if you can.
Last edited by Pickoff42 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Pickoff42: Very well written. After reading Cato’s post I thought to myself —“I hope I never wake up with that much hate in my heart”. Goodness.

Cato—- good luck to you man. I hope things get better — truly — no sarcasm.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

The hatred for Burg has always been there for as long as I can remember and I've been following Burg sports for around 40 years.

I can remember in 1989 when Burg was playing in the football championship, no one from around the county gave any support. The first sign we saw heading to Columbus wishing the Burg luck was actually in Piketon. It was sad at the time and like someone said, if you mentioned you were from the Burg you were usually always called an arrogant ass and that you were from the "high and mighty Burg" It got a little childish at times.

Times have changed though as this year when Burg played in the state championship football game, I saw a lot of school jackets from all over the county. I know West brought I think the Junior class on the football team. It was nice to get the support. Bottom line if we don't support each other when one does good we will never get the respect of any teams up North.

Cato-For some reason you are ate up with it. That was a low blow that Burg can never wipe off the slate so they just try to forget it ever happened. It wasn't like he was just an assistant coach at the time he was the HEAD coach which made it even worse. Kids looked up to him until the day all hell broke loose. We as Burg fans have got past that and moved on. Maybe you should too!!!!

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

Pickoff42 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:56 pm
Cato-
1. You really should leave the "Mike Schmidt" thing alone. That was an awful incident that occurred, and could have occurred, in ANY community. And it involved a child who will have to deal with the ramifications of that person's actions for the rest of her life. Cato, to bring that up is one of the most classless things I have ever read on seopreps.com.
2. To everyone commenting, accusing, trying to make something of something that isn't here (recruiting), I would remind you that you probably are most likely ADULTS hating on 14--18 year old CHILDREN just because they go to a particular HS and their uniforms say "PIRATES" or WHEELERSBURG" on the front. KIDS. Why don't you try to remember that??
3. Again, I came from Jackson County. Wellston, to be exact. Back when I played we were not respected at all by anyone, but we learned that we had to work harder than others to achieve what we wanted. For the 3 years I was on the varsity basketball team, we were 29-0 at home. Now, I have read many negative things about Wellston sports (more than likely by ADULT posters). I am just glad my children have the opportunity to go to a school where there is TREMENDOUS civic pride in their school. Wellston had NONE before we stepped it up. We worked. We didn't care that people thought very lowly of us. We had guys who moved into and out of our district back then. Some went to the evil demon of Jackson (what we perceived to be at the time). However, if I moved back to Jackson County today, I'm 100% sure I would want my child to go to Jackson even though Jackson was always the hated rival.

I guess I'll never understand Scioto County sports fans. Are there some rotten eggs (i.e.parents, fans) at the Burg who beat their chest and go overboard? ABSOLUTELY! But aren't there at every school? People, listen: your district and civic pride is what you are going to make it and if you step up your feelings on your schools, your children will see that. Minford has wonderful schools. So does Valley. So does West. Sciotoville. Notre Dame. Green. New Boston. Portsmouth. I've probably left someone out, and I'm sorry. Get behind your kids at your own district and they will continue to have pride once they leave school, and they in turn will be proud to have been alumnusts (sp?) from there and maybe will bring their own children and families someday back into the district. You all are so ate up with what Wheelersburg students, STUDENTS, KIDS (at the time) have and are accomplishing and have accomplished, you are losing site of what your kids in your particular districts have/will/could accomplish.

All I've learned since living in this district that even if you live or tell someone that you live in "The Burg," you get a look. But I proudly do. Please everyone...step up your own civic pride and make your district a proud place to call home. Maybe Scioto County will not have such a bad reputation then. Quit hating on us. A vast majority of Burgites respect everyone else in the county. Try respecting us, if you can.

Well said, I feel sorry for Cato....

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

JTEK wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:56 pm
2quick2catch wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:25 pm All calls are made payphone to payphone from the Ridge Mart, Super Quik, and Minford Kwik Stop... Lol
I heard it was all done by burner phones and secret document drop offs with the financial info and contracts at the wheelersburg park :lol:
Words are exchanged in the bottom of popcorn bags at Wheelersburg Cinema as well.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Vito Corleone wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 am My problem with Burg is this.. There are numerous people that I know that have transferred to Wheelersburg and then automatically get that sense of entitlement like no one is above them. Those are the people I cannot stand. You'll get these people that move in and walk around like they are better than everyone else. Like they are automatically State Champs even though their son/daughter wasn't even a part of a championship team.

Now, there are plenty of true Wheelersburg people out there that I like and think the world of. I find that those people that have been born and raised in Wheelersburg don't have that attitude. They are successful but more humble. They don't try and throw it in your face. I respect that. Great people. It's the move in's that seem to try and do all the talking. I don't have any respect for that

This post absolutely nails it!

One side of my family is from Wheelersburg and I worked there for a long time. Some of my best friends are from there and they are great people. Wheelersburg's success has brought in a group of people that have really given the place a rep. The truly Burg "lifers" aren't that way at all. It is so many "transplants" that are making things this way.

"We have dominated for 40 years".....

No bro you haven't. You went to New Boston.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Vito and Crab's Bro closed this thread down. Most of the old-school, true Wheelersburg people are not the problem as they are generally solid people. The problem in the Burg crowd are predominately transplants that didn't even graduate or grow up in Wheelersburg. I was at the Burg/SW game in January and had conversations with 2 separate Burg fans I know that somehow both managed to irk me during the short conversations (rest of Burg people I talked to were fine). Common denominator = both transplants who graduated from other schools and now at Burg with their kids. You can follow Burg posters on here and likely figure out which ones are Burg grads and which ones are transplants just by their posts.

Great schools, great athletics, so it's easy to see why the transplants would want to be a part of Burg. No need for the nonstop chest-beating or bragging though if that's the choice you make.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”