Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Bleeding Red wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:53 pm
mikepike wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:31 am I don't know that people are all jealous of the athletic success of Wheelersburg as much as they are tired of the pompousness of the Wheelersburg fans. I enjoy the overall discussion of the games before and after, but some of the remarks from people who have absolutely no outcome on the game are way over the top. Class is definitely needed by some down on the river.

You know what we get sick and tired about people on here bitching about the transfers coming in and even with the transfers Burg gets beat by 18 and like someone said without Holden having a great game they lose by 30+.

If everyone in SE Ohio is okay with just making the Regionals and then getting blown out by a recruited in AAU team then why play the game? We all know the caliber of players around here don’t come close to the amount of high talent players like HP, Africentric, Lutheran East, and do on have to chose from. As long as those types of teams are continued to be allowed to put together, no SE Ohio team will ever make it out of the Regional.
I do agree that until OHSAA develops a completely separate tournament for the private schools (who do in fact actively recruit the best prospects in their area) this will be an issue. Its the same in football, girl's basketball (Africentric is outstanding) as well as other sports.

They keep their enrollment down by only admitting kids who can have an instant impact on their athletics, thus staying in the smaller divisions as far as OHSAA is concerned.

Option 2 is to have them play up based on a multiplier as a private school (D2 plays D1 tourney, D3 plays D2 tourney, etc. and the D1 privates have their own tourney altogether) but I dont see the state ever doing that because the attendance of the D3-D5 privates to these games would be a skeleton crowd. We all know that with OHSAA, the money trumps everything else.
You do realize that Harvest Prep was already “Playing Up” a division? And a separate division is up to the public schools, who keep saying no to separate divisions.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

After reading here, kinda of confused on this hill and Patroit Ridge. if its not in Wheelersburg School District, what school district is it in and then why dont those kids go to that school district. So what im saying is, wouldnt any kids living not in a school district , then be considered coming from another school district as part of what everyone is saying and why dont they go to school district that Patriot Ridge is in. Kinda of interesting facts. or confusing. Hiland will represent EAST/SE well in Columbus.this coming week

burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

Patriot Ridge is in Green Local School District, just outside of the Wheelersburg District.

Some of the kids who live there go to Green, but I believe that most go to Wheelersburg.

Wheelersburg is one of the smallest districts in the county and many kids who attend there live just outside the boundary for the district, but choose to open enroll in Wheelersburg.

Hunter's Point is another home addition on SR 140 that is also not in Wheelersburg School District, but many of the kids who live there attend Wheelersburg.

It would seem to me that many parents and kids believe that Wheelersburg offers them opportunities (both academically and athletically) that their home districts don't.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

burgbacker wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:08 am Patriot Ridge is in Green Local School District, just outside of the Wheelersburg District.

Some of the kids who live there go to Green, but I believe that most go to Wheelersburg.

Wheelersburg is one of the smallest districts in the county and many kids who attend there live just outside the boundary for the district, but choose to open enroll in Wheelersburg.

Hunter's Point is another home addition on SR 140 that is also not in Wheelersburg School District, but many of the kids who live there attend Wheelersburg.

It would seem to me that many parents and kids believe that Wheelersburg offers them opportunities (both academically and athletically) that their home districts don't.
Then this begs the obvious question... would Wheelersburg fare as well athletically if all of the kids from out of the Wheelersburg went to their home school? Is Wheelersburg’s success attributable to transfers/open enrollment/recruitment, whatever you want to call it?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

mikepike wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 am
burgbacker wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:08 am Patriot Ridge is in Green Local School District, just outside of the Wheelersburg District.

Then this begs the obvious question... would Wheelersburg fare as well athletically if all of the kids from out of the Wheelersburg went to their home school? Is Wheelersburg’s success attributable to transfers/open enrollment/recruitment, whatever you want to call it?
I don’t think it matters in my oppinion if there was not open enrollment most of those kids would move into the district.

burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

I think most of those folks would choose to live within the district if open enrollment wasn't an option.

If parents perceived that other schools gave their children the same opportunities that Wheelersburg does, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

My question would be if parents knows this home addition or place is not within the boundaries of that school district and stop open enrollment , I think that would help tremendously . Would parents move to that area knowing they would have to attend that school district. so stopping open enrollment I think would solve many problems from my perspective. Another thought here is parents that are well off building in these upper class areas but not wanting to send kids to that school,district, having it both ways.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Not sure I’m comfortable telling people where they should live or send there children to school.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

No, but if rules were in place such as no open enrollment, it would be black and white, you live here your kids go here, if you live there your kids go there.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

I think the burg was pretty successful way before open enrollment

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Then the parents couldn’t have the choice of both worlds. Example I want to live here but want my kids to go there, well no you follow the rules. But if OHSAA would come in and say we are going to try and make things more even and fair no more open enrollment.

burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

I appreciate the back and forth. My question is why is this a Wheelersburg problem? Shouldn't the burden be on the home district to provide a comparable experience that would compel the parents to keep their kid there?

This seems as simple as supply and demand to me. Wheelersburg is supplying something some people clearly want. Therefore, they are making the necessary accommodations to get it. If we do away with open enrollment, I think most will still make the necessary accommodations to get what they want. Though, I suppose, some may deem that price too high.

I think for parents, open enrollment is about considerably more than sports and that is where I think this idea runs into a real problem.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

mikepike wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 am

I think the answer to that is not a simple one. Not all kids who attend Burg through open enrollment play sports. Those that do, they are not all “first string” in their respective sports.
Take the Patriots Ridge kids, it would be fair to say most attend Burg instead of Green or another school. Most of them have attended Burg their entire academic career. This means if they play a sport, then they have grown up and been developed in the Burg youth programs. These programs are well established and players learn from an early age what is expected of them. So you have to ask, would those students be developed the same if they attended another school? You have kids that are
natural athletes and would have success at any school they attend. You also have kids that need more development then others and really have to work at it. Burg does a great job with each kind of athlete. Now I’m not trashing other schools’ youth programs at all, I’m only speaking about Burg’s due to being involved in them as a player and a coach. In my opinion, Burg’s athletic success is due to the people involved at all levels, the system in place, and the expectation set for being a Burg athlete.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Where do the tax abatements go. Which school gets it. School district where the house is or school where kids go.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

But the bottom line is the parents chose to live in that area knowing what the school district was

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Hopefully the Ohio athletic association takes a closer look into areas such as this and try’s to make it more fair to school districts

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Prime Time wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:16 am Then the parents couldn’t have the choice of both worlds. Example I want to live here but want my kids to go there, well no you follow the rules. But if OHSAA would come in and say we are going to try and make things more even and fair no more open enrollment.
Open enrollment is allowed by the OHSAA to narrow the gap between public and private schools. This was an early attempt before competitive balance came along.

As far as taxes go, home school gets whatever percentage of property taxes they would have received if the student attended there. They do not get the money that comes from the state for that student though. That goes to the school the student attends.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

One tourney for open enrollment/private schools and one for closed enrollment schools.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

It doesn’t matter what rules are in place there are people out there that simple can’t stand to see others succeed. There are people that can’t stand the success that Wheelersburg has had and will try to find any excuse to try and tear down it. Whatever happens there are people who simple won’t be happy until they see those that are successful fail. So it doesn’t matter what rules change or what regulations are in place people are still going to try to find any excuse to blame others’ success being the reason for their shortcomings.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

You realize that Open Enrollment was instituted by The Ohio Department of Education and a Federal mandate to allow students more school choice? I believe it was to allow Public School kids who could not afford to attend Private Schools to at least have the same choice as the affluent families who could leave their public school and go to private school. OHSAA had to put rules in place to govern this after Open Enrollment was mandated.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk

Return to “Boys Basketball”