Fairland vs Meadowbrook (Regional Semi)

Omaha09
Waterboy

Re: Fairland vs Meadowbrook (Regional Semi)

Post by Omaha09 »

Don't know anything on Meadowbrook... if somebody wants to give me a rundown on them I'd greatly appreciate it!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Any one know of radio or streaming coverage of this one?

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Boomcat34
Waterboy

Post by Boomcat34 »

Omaha09 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm Don't know anything on Meadowbrook... if somebody wants to give me a rundown on them I'd greatly appreciate it!
Davis Black: 6-4 Junior
Trey Singleton: 5-11 Senior
Easton Black: 6-2 Senior
Bobby Feyko: 6-0 Senior
Peyton Neff: 5-11 Junior

Meadowbrook also plays 6-0 sophomore Jonathan McCall who is a great athlete and terrific on-ball defender, and 6-4 sophomore Addy Black also plays and gives them length on the perimeter.

Meadowbrook wins games by playing solid, fundamental defense and making the offense work the ball around to get a clean look. Offensively they feature a 1-2 punch in Singleton who shares D2 East District POY with Zanesville's stud Brooks-Harris, and Davis Black who is a physical player who can shoot outside and handle the ball if needed, but likes to play downhill and aggressive to the rim.

Singleton averages 24 pts per game and had a high of 37 pts against Cambridge. He is not a particularly imposing player from a physical standpoint, but he is intelligent and is incredibly crafty. If left with room he will knock the shot down from anywhere on the floor almost automatically. Most teams this year gameplanned to take Singleton away, most times with limited success. It is common for him to be doubled off of every single screen and teams typically try to force the ball out of his hands as much as possible.

The rest of the team are mostly role players who play great team defense and try to cause turnovers. Typically, Meadowbrook goes as Singleton goes, and it is no coincidence that their worst stretch of the season came during which time he was hindered by an ankle injury.

I'd say Fairland is definitely the better team on paper, but of Meadowbrook plays their best game, I think they have a shot to win.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Congrats to Meadowbrook on playing a great game and having a great game plan.Good luck in the next round.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Bud07 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 pm Fairland will roll in the next two games. The regional final was played last Friday.
Good call. The SE District just wasn't very strong this year from top to bottom. What was the SE's record against teams outside of the District?

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Fairfield Union was 12-3 I can't speak for anyone else. I can admit when I'm wrong. I saw the Unioto loss coming, but I did not see fairland losing that one. Good luck to the east in the final 4!

Boomcat34
Waterboy

Post by Boomcat34 »

Bud07 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 pm Fairfield Union was 12-3 I can't speak for anyone else. I can admit when I'm wrong. I saw the Unioto loss coming, but I did not see fairland losing that one. Good luck to the east in the final 4!
Not knowing too much about Fairland coming into that game, I had mixed impressions of them. Van Horn is big, but I thought he would play much more physical around the rim. He had a few early blocks but didn't seem to really want the ball that much. The kid that impressed me the most was Staten for the way he played defense against Singleton. Thats the best one-on-one defense I've seen anyone play on him all year.

I'm very excited for the regional final between these two East teams and I know it will be a good one!

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

That was my first time watching Meadowbrook and Fairland play this year. I felt Fairland was much more talented but Meadowbrook was much better coached and played harder. The last minute of the third quarter stood out as the difference to me, Fairland put 3 subs in the game with a 10 point lead and watched them haphazardly give the ball away 3 straight times and not seem to care. They let a ten point lead all but disappear. Fairland didn't play smart or with what seemed to be much emotion. Hats off to Meadowbrook, they deserved to win

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Great 3 year run by Fairland.......3 straight undefeated seasons in the OVC, district runnerup in 2016, state semifinalist in 2017, and district champions in 2018. It will be very hard for future Dragon teams to match those accomplishments. From this Portsmouth Trojan fan, congratulations to all the players and coaches on a great 3 years!!

earp
S

Post by earp »

trojandave wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:02 pm Great 3 year run by Fairland.......3 straight undefeated seasons in the OVC, district runnerup in 2016, state semifinalist in 2017, and district champions in 2018. It will be very hard for future Dragon teams to match those accomplishments. From this Portsmouth Trojan fan, congratulations to all the players and coaches on a great 3 years!!
We have very good 7th and 8th grade groups coming up so we will be back Trojandave. :mrgreen:

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

earp: I know you have very good 7th and 8th grade groups coming up, but realistically it will be hard to match those accomplishments in a 3 year period. This class of seniors was an exceptional group, clearly the best of anybody in the OVC, but the future separation won't be as great like it was the past 3 seasons. I know for a fact that Portsmouth and Chesapeake have some good incoming freshmen next season. Portsmouth did beat both the 7th and 8th grade Dragons once during the regular season (I watched those games), but Fairland did win the OVC junior high tourney.

Portsmouth went back to back Final 4's in 2011 and 2012, but that level of excellence just wasn't going to continue. We had an exceptional group of basketball players on those teams. It took us 3 more years to reach the regional final, in 2015, losing to Columbus Eastmoor 49-45.

earp
S

Post by earp »

trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:41 pm earp: I know you have very good 7th and 8th grade groups coming up, but realistically it will be hard to match those accomplishments in a 3 year period. This class of seniors was an exceptional group, clearly the best of anybody in the OVC, but the future separation won't be as great like it was the past 3 seasons. I know for a fact that Portsmouth and Chesapeake have some good incoming freshmen next season. Portsmouth did beat both the 7th and 8th grade Dragons once during the regular season (I watched those games), but Fairland did win the OVC junior high tourney.

Portsmouth went back to back Final 4's in 2011 and 2012, but that level of excellence just wasn't going to continue. We had an exceptional group of basketball players on those teams. It took us 3 more years to reach the regional final, in 2015, losing to Columbus Eastmoor 49-45.
Totally agree.It will be hard to match our graduating group.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

This senior group of Fairland will go down as one of the best groups SE Ohio has ever seen... and I do mean that.

Special group of kids who were dominant by their sophomore year and many of them played freshman year. They lost a great player in Short and still nearly won the regional after moving UP a division. Crazy!

Other than Short to Rio, where are some of the others going? Van Horn? Thomas? Howell?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Ty Staten -- Ohio Northern
Keedrick Cunningham -- West Virginia State (Football)

Return to “Boys Basketball”