Fairland vs Meadowbrook (Regional Semi)

Omaha09
Waterboy

Fairland vs Meadowbrook (Regional Semi)

Post by Omaha09 »

what's your prediction?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Fairland vs Meadowbrook (Regional Semi)

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I PREDICT THE DRAGONS CONTINUE TO BREATH FIRE ON THEIR OPPONENTS AND ADVANCE. GOOD LUCK TO THE FAIRLAND DRAGONS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I'm surprised Meadowbrook won. It's not that they're not a very good team, they most certainly are, I just really thought Zanesville would be the representative on that side of the bracket.

I think Fairland can pressure Meadowbrook a little bit, more so than they would have been able to pressure Zanesville. At this point in the tournament Fairland can't afford slow starts like they did against FU. If Fairland is within 4-5 points at half or leading, they win. If they're down 10+ at halftime, they lose. I truly believe that.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to Coach Speed and the Dragons on their district championship. Now going forward, the Dragons will have to up their game to advance to the regional final. I'm in the same mind as bbjunky81, I thought that Zanesville would come out of that East bracket. If Fairland can play their normal game, I believe they have the offensive firepower to beat the Colts. Having played in the regional last year at Athens, and having played 2 games there this season could be a plus for the Dragons.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I feel very strongly Meadowbrook will come out on top in this one. Colts having one of their better seasons in history.
The fact that the team has so many underclassmen and coach Tolzda gets the best out of each player.

Boomcat34
Waterboy

Post by Boomcat34 »

Meadowbrook guy here - don't know exactly what Fairland has. I know they're highly ranked and have some pretty good size. Having watched Meadowbrook play most of the season, I think the game boils down to how well they handle being on the big court. Last year their team was much more talented when they made the regional semi, but they played by far and away their worst game of that season against Vinton County on the big stage. This year's team is vastly different, with defense being #1 priority and 85% of the offense coming from Black or Singleton making things happen when they need something to happen.

If Meadowbrook plays their best game and comes in with a good game plan, I think they have a chance. Otherwise, my gut says they could get beat handily. They are coming off what was probably their best performance of the year against Zanesville in the district final, so who knows.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Good luck to both teams...

Hoping the Dragons are a couple of points better. Another slow start could end the season...go Dragons!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Fairland will roll in the next two games. The regional final was played last Friday.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Boomcat34: Fairland's starting lineup:

Kollin Van Horn......6-8 senior......D2 SE district POY
Luke Thomas.........6-2 senior......excellent outside shooter and all around player
Isaiah Howell........6-3 senior.......14 PPG; can score inside or out
Ty Staten.............6-0 senior.......runs the point; excellent ballhandler
Keedrick Cunninghan......6-0 senior.....outstanding athlete and defender

Notable sub off the bench: Ty Wilcoxin.....6-2 junior.......they also play a couple of others.

I know Fairland very well, having seen my Portsmouth Trojans get swept 3 years in row (6 games) by this group.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Fairland may win but they won't roll. Meadowbrook and J. Glenn have played great schedules and Unioto is really good. This region is wide open with no Columbus team here

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FAIRLAND DRAGONS FOR ANOTHER AWESOME YEAR OF OVC BASKETBALL

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Boomcat34
Waterboy

Post by Boomcat34 »

trojandave wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:15 pm Boomcat34: Fairland's starting lineup:

Kollin Van Horn......6-8 senior......D2 SE district POY
Luke Thomas.........6-2 senior......excellent outside shooter and all around player
Isaiah Howell........6-3 senior.......14 PPG; can score inside or out
Ty Staten.............6-0 senior.......runs the point; excellent ballhandler
Keedrick Cunninghan......6-0 senior.....outstanding athlete and defender

Notable sub off the bench: Ty Wilcoxin.....6-2 junior.......they also play a couple of others.

I know Fairland very well, having seen my Portsmouth Trojans get swept 3 years in row (6 games) by this group.

Does Van Horn primarily bang down low or can he play on the wing as well? We played against a similar sized kid in 6-7 Brooks-Harris from Zanesville (3 times this year actually) who plays all over the floor, and while he was definitely a handful, our guys held him to just 7 pts last Saturday (I'd have to believe that is his season low). Coach Tolzda and crew are very good at coming up with a plan that can limit size/matchup advantages that some teams have on us. Aside from all that, Singleton vs Cunningham should be extremely interesting.

Fairland would have to be the favorite here, but I think Meadowbrook has a chance to snag this one.

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Van Horn can shoot the 3 but would rather be down low. Howell was the Se district player of the year last year as well. I look for a good game with the scoring in the upper 70's. FHS 79 Meadowbrook 73

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Not to take anything away from this game but after reading up on the sweet 16 tournament taking place in Kentucky, Gunner Short formerly of Fairland, I’m sure people know, leads his current school (Boyd County) into the first round. Young man has played in the state tournament at the Schott and now Rupp. Just speaks of how truly deep and special the group of kids from Fairland are and hints towards their competitive side. For this game though if Fairland can stay out of any foul trouble and avoid a slow start they will/can win this game.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

I read a lot of the local papers online and Zanesville's stud was in foul trouble most of the game against Meadowbrook. Zanesville's longtime coach even complained about it in the paper. Not saying that is the reason Meadowbrook won, but I am sure it helped.

Hopefully, the fans are treated to a good game between these two teams

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

I read a lot of the local papers online and Zanesville's stud was in foul trouble most of the game against Meadowbrook. Zanesville's longtime coach even complained about it in the paper. Not saying that is the reason Meadowbrook won, but I am sure it helped.

Hopefully, the fans are treated to a good game between these two teams

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Good Luck Fairland Dragons, probably most complete team in Southern Ohio.

final4
Waterboy

Post by final4 »

Sounds like the recipe Fairland used to come back on Fairfield Union. Big kid for Fairfield Union played maybe 8 of the final 20 minutes because of foul trouble as well as 2 other starters in foul trouble.

Omaha09
Waterboy

Post by Omaha09 »

Fairlands big man was also in foul trouble (pretty sure he had 3 at halftime) along with Cunningham who you could say was the MVP of the game with 29 points. correct me if im wrong

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

Good luck to the dragons of fairland!

Return to “Boys Basketball”