D4 Regional Finals (Peebles v Hiland) Info and update Thread

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: D4 Regional Finals (Peebles v Hiland) Info and update Thread

Post by LucasDavenport »

IVCguy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:13 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 pm Hiland is a very hot team right now! They are playing great basketball. The school and community is use to the big stage so good luck moving forward.

Peebles and Coach Arey is a great example of Southern Ohio basketball. They do things right. It’s unfortunately the score got away from them but GREAT season.
Setting aside the one magical season thing that sometimes happens, I have the sense that a coach and a program grows into being a consistent district, regional, and state contender. The coach learns thru failure until he finally gets over the hump and wins a district, then you take your lumps until you learn how to win a regional and then the same thing at State. Each level has its own environment and quality of teams. The coach that has been through all the levels has a big advantage over one who hasn't in terms of areas like scouting, preparation, motivation, managing time, etc. I wouldnt swear that's gospel, but I have seen plenty of coaches grow into success thru that process.

I said that to encourage Peebles that as unpleasant as tonight was, it may be the thing that leads to happier nights at a regional in the future. FWIW.
Top 10 post. Good lesson for winners and how to post afterwards

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

IVCguy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:13 pm
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 pm Hiland is a very hot team right now! They are playing great basketball. The school and community is use to the big stage so good luck moving forward.

Peebles and Coach Arey is a great example of Southern Ohio basketball. They do things right. It’s unfortunately the score got away from them but GREAT season.
Setting aside the one magical season thing that sometimes happens, I have the sense that a coach and a program grows into being a consistent district, regional, and state contender. The coach learns thru failure until he finally gets over the hump and wins a district, then you take your lumps until you learn how to win a regional and then the same thing at State. Each level has its own environment and quality of teams. The coach that has been through all the levels has a big advantage over one who hasn't in terms of areas like scouting, preparation, motivation, managing time, etc. I wouldnt swear that's gospel, but I have seen plenty of coaches grow into success thru that process.

I said that to encourage Peebles that as unpleasant as tonight was, it may be the thing that leads to happier nights at a regional in the future. FWIW.
Congrats Hawks. I and everyone else knew this could happen ,but; I have never seen a team shoot that well. Hats off. My Indians Started off the season with Three players who had played any varsity basketball. Our Center Blake Hawes played basketball in the eighth grade and this year. That's it. The Ball boy played only this year.We had no Juniors. The rest are sophmores and freshman.We were picked to be about 500 ballclub.Coach Arey took this ragtag group and won their small school Shac league title,the sectional, the district and to the finals of the regional.A 20+ win season. Great season Berlin Hiland and good luck next week. I'm so proud of our Indians and the season they had. Hopefully we have lit a fire that will spur the future Indians to bigger and better things.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

After this learning experience for the Indians I will say that we hands down had a huge crowd tonight. 3/4 of the arena I believe we're Peebles sea of red and white. Love our fan base. Thanks for the ride Peebles.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

DKing wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:56 pm Congrats on a great season Peebles.
Thanks! We ran into a buzzsaw. Baseball time now.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

And so is Fairland.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:35 pm Troyer brothers went 11/14 from 3

Holy Moses.

Those of you who watched...who would you compare their games to that we’ve seen in the SE over the years?
Probably nit picking, but cousins, not brothers. Troyers, Yoders, Millers, Schlabachs... they are everywhere and plenty of them

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Hoopie and Lucas,

I don't consider myself the winner or worthy of congratulations. I literally had nothing to do with the Hiland Hawk's success last night. I sat in an easy chair watching NCAA basketball on mute, listening to the regional final on the internet, and a couple of times I told my wife, "Man, are they ever on fire." I ate a stromboli and had some marinara sauce drip down on my shirt - which made my wife mad. My most direct activity was I texted Scott Troyer's dad and told him to give Scott a big hug and congrats from me. So, I had nothing to do with anything. Lol.

AOT,

Scott and Kobe's dads are first cousins.

You left out Hochstetlers, Hostetlers, Hochstedlers, Hershbergers, Coblentzes, Kauffmans, Kaufmans, Beechys, Beachys, Klines, Bowmans, Keims, Gerbers, Gingeriches, Masts, Yoders, Swartentrubers, Mullets, Mulletts, Hiltys, Stoltzfuses, Stutzmans, Schlabaughs, Shlabachs, Slabaughs, Weavers, Wengerds, and Yutzys. And I have missed probably another dozen. :)

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

IVCguy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 am Hoopie and Lucas,

I don't consider myself the winner or worthy of congratulations. I literally had nothing to do with the Hiland Hawk's success last night. I sat in an easy chair watching NCAA basketball on mute, listening to the regional final on the internet, and a couple of times I told my wife, "Man, are they ever on fire." I ate a stromboli and had some marinara sauce drip down on my shirt - which made my wife mad. My most direct activity was I texted Scott Troyer's dad and told him to give Scott a big hug and congrats from me. So, I had nothing to do with anything. Lol.

AOT,

You left out Hochstetlers, Hostetlers, Hochstedlers, Hershbergers, Coblentzes, Kauffmans, Kaufmans, Beechys, Beachys, Klines, Bowmans, Keims, Gerbers, Gingeriches, Masts, Yoders, Swartentrubers, Mullets, Mulletts, Hiltys, Stoltzfuses, Stutzmans, Schlabaughs, Shlabachs, Slabaughs, Weavers, Wengerds, and Yutzys. And I have missed probably another dozen. :)
IVCguy, loved watching your guys play last night against our Indians. Mr Raber over here on Wheat Ridge just outside of Peebles will smile when he hears the score at Athens. Lot of cousins down here too.hahaha! Good luck Hawks at Columbus next week. I will be there. Well good luck till you run into My cousins team, Pandora-Gilboa. Good thing is that would be a state final.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:17 pm
IVCguy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 am Hoopie and Lucas,

AOT,

IVCguy, loved watching your guys play last night against our Indians. Mr Raber over here on Wheat Ridge just outside of Peebles will smile when he hears the score at Athens. Lot of cousins down here too.hahaha! Good luck Hawks at Columbus next week. I will be there. Well good luck till you run into My cousins team, Pandora-Gilboa. Good thing is that would be a state final.
I left out Rabers! Lol.

I love HS sports. It's just a pure diversion. I say "pure" because in 99% of the cases, you are just looking at a bunch of kids and coaches competing for the love of the game and each other. I say "diversion" because it is simply a bunch of kids playing a game, something to be enjoyed, and is a great way to distract our attention away from the more substantive, serious, and, sometimes, unpleasant issues of life. I don't like it when people take it TOO seriously - and I say that as someone who took it too seriously when Jr and Punkin were playing.

Someone posted a comment about the crowd size and that Peebles won that. Everyone from up here could have predicted that. Hiland is a victim of its own success. In the early 90s the community was starving for regional and state success. Boys and girls games were THE unifying community activity, and when the boys went to state in 92 the joke was, "Last one out of Berlin, turn out the lights." Its harder to get to state in boys basketball, but Perry Reese took them there a couple times and won one championship. The girls got on a roll and went 15 times, winning a handful of championships. It's still a big deal that the boys are going this week, but when Coach Schlabach came in 06 they lost in the regional final, lost in the state semis in 07, won the whole thing in 11 and 12 and now are going back. When you say something like, "The girls have a good shot at making it to state this year", people yawn as if you are saying the sun will probably set in the west tonight.

I guess my point is that when you haven't been there at all, or in a long time, it is a much bigger deal. When its something that happens frequently, people develop a "been there, done that" attitude and don't attend games in person, esp if they have to travel. Our girls coach is retiring in 3 more years, and I pity the coach who follows him. The program will most certainly take a hit, and maybe in 20 years people will get excited to see them get to state again. Mark Schlabach is a relatively young coach, but things happen, and success is never guaranteed, so these trips to regionals and state will eventually stop. I guess my point is that we need to resist complacency and be thankful for all of the success we have enjoyed, but I see complacency winning out. Failure is the best cure for complacency.

Return to “Boys Basketball”