2018/19 OVC

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Re: Very Early OVC Preview 2018-2019

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

So after some summer shootouts/team camps, any revised predictions? Anticipated season starters? Standout players?

Post by purpleblood1 »

I've been lucky to see Chesapeake, Fairland, Coal Grove, and South Point so far this summer and I look for Chesapeake to be the most improved team in the OVC if not the southeast, for sure a top 3 team in the OVC. Fairland and SP will struggle. CG is going to impress some people this year, as always they are bangers and blue collar. A side note Wheelersburg won't lose a step.

My prediction for the conference:
1) Gallia Academy
2) Chesapeake
3) Coal Grove
4) Ironton
5) South Point
6) Portsmouth
7) Fairland
8) Rock Hill

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

GA any backup or help for Loveday?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

purpleblood1: I agree about Chesapeake being improved in 2018-2019, as I have them picked 3rd in the OVC. The main concern I have for the Panthers for next season is outside shooting. Haven't seen them this summer, but saw them several times last year and they only had 1 outside threat who graduated.

Having watched Portsmouth quite a bit this summer, the Trojans will be as athletic as any team in the OVC or Southeastern Ohio for that matter. Whoever is the 5th starter is the big question mark heading into the season. Right now, PHS have a solid foursome of seniors 6-3 MyQuel McKinley, 6-0 Daniel Lattimore, 6-2 junior Matthew Fraulini, and 6-2 sophomore Miles Shipp. That 5th starter could be 5-7 freshman Amare Johnson, 6-0 freshman Daryionne Bryant, or 6-0 sophomore Michael Duncan. Fraulini has shown this summer that he is ready to improve his scoring average, which was 14 PPG last season.

I have picked the Trojans to be 7th in the OVC, based on losing 5 of the top 6 players, but I also believe that the conference won't be nearly as strong as last year, when two teams (Fairland and Coal Grove) made the regional, while Gallia Academy finished 2nd in the conference. The Trojans have a chance to move up if they can settle in on a 5th starter and get an 8-9 man rotation straightened out. I have faith that Coach Collins will figure it out. Portsmouth will be good enough to be in about every game by the 4th quarter.

I told Coach Harrison at Rio Grande that Gallia Academy should expect to go at least to the regional. They have 4 starters back from a 19-3 regular season team and district semifinalist. They have done very well this summer, including a win over a very athletic Cincinnati Hughes at Rio, and Coach Harrison told me they did very well at the Ohio State shootout, playing some very good teams, including Akron St.Vincent St.Mary. GAHS could be primed for an undefeated OVC season which would be the 4th year in a row for that feat, following Fairland's trifecta.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

The OVC will be very mediocre this year and I think from top to bottom besides Gallia it is wide open . I hope my Ironton Tigers make a solid run in the conference. Best of luck to all.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

TrojanDave I saw some great things out of Chesapeake with some good shooters, but the biggest thing is they actually look like a basketball team. Very athletic and can run the floor very well.

sportzfan
Waterboy

Post by sportzfan »

I agree that GA is the odds on favorite to win the OVC. It is hard to argue that the 7'2" Loveday shouldn't push GA to the top in this league. Beyond that, how far they go in the playoffs is well within unknown. I remember the last 4 years the Fairland Dragons were hyped to win state, especially the last 2 years of the "golden group" playing together. Things happen! They never reached the promise land. I wont believe the hype about Loveday until he proves it. He certainly has the ability to be that player to dominate teams depending on how the team is coached and how other players play around him. I hope they don't fall into the trap of believing their own hype before they win anything. GA fans have all the right to be excited for this coming season. One game at a time young bloods.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

sportzfan wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:01 pm I agree that GA is the odds on favorite to win the OVC. It is hard to argue that the 7'2" Loveday shouldn't push GA to the top in this league. Beyond that, how far they go in the playoffs is well within unknown. I remember the last 4 years the Fairland Dragons were hyped to win state, especially the last 2 years of the "golden group" playing together. Things happen! They never reached the promise land. I wont believe the hype about Loveday until he proves it. He certainly has the ability to be that player to dominate teams depending on how the team is coached and how other players play around him. I hope they don't fall into the trap of believing their own hype before they win anything. GA fans have all the right to be excited for this coming season. One game at a time young bloods.
Loveday has offers prior to his junior year from Ohio State, Louisville, Purdue, etc. and he still needs to prove something to you?*

sportzfan
Waterboy

Post by sportzfan »

art_vandelay wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:31 am
sportzfan wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:01 pm I agree that GA is the odds on favorite to win the OVC. It is hard to argue that the 7'2" Loveday shouldn't push GA to the top in this league. Beyond that, how far they go in the playoffs is well within unknown. I remember the last 4 years the Fairland Dragons were hyped to win state, especially the last 2 years of the "golden group" playing together. Things happen! They never reached the promise land. I wont believe the hype about Loveday until he proves it. He certainly has the ability to be that player to dominate teams depending on how the team is coached and how other players play around him. I hope they don't fall into the trap of believing their own hype before they win anything. GA fans have all the right to be excited for this coming season. One game at a time young bloods.
Loveday has offers prior to his junior year from Ohio State, Louisville, Purdue, etc. and he still needs to prove something to you?*
When he was in middle school he was getting offers and interest because he was around 7 foot tall has some skills, colleges like to get a jump on anyone, yes anyone, with those traits. He has upside. college interests are not uncommon. that doesn't mean he will eventually sign with any of those early interest teams. I watched him play in many OVC games and he didn't dominate the game. That is the OVC. I hope he improves and continues to show interest in the game. I've seen many a player get early attention from d1 schools only to end up going to their local college and not even play sports. He not only has to prove it to me but he continually has to prove it to recruiters. Hyping this talented kid up only hurts his mental state if that hype stops him from working and improving and thinks he has nothing to prove. It should constantly be on his mind that he needs to prove it to all before he has even signed with any major team. so yes, prove it to me. Do you follow where I'm coming from.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I’ve watched him once, they only posted him up once in that game and he scored there. He also played really good defense. One would assume that they will try to get him the ball more often, but that’s not on him.

He’s a 4-Star recruit who received 3 more offers in June (not just interest, but offers). He wouldn’t be the #1 recruit in Ohio in his class if he didn’t have the talent and just had size.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

sportzfan wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:30 am
art_vandelay wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:31 am
When he was in middle school he was getting offers and interest because he was around 7 foot tall has some skills, colleges like to get a jump on anyone, yes anyone, with those traits. He has upside. college interests are not uncommon. that doesn't mean he will eventually sign with any of those early interest teams. I watched him play in many OVC games and he didn't dominate the game. That is the OVC. I hope he improves and continues to show interest in the game. I've seen many a player get early attention from d1 schools only to end up going to their local college and not even play sports. He not only has to prove it to me but he continually has to prove it to recruiters. Hyping this talented kid up only hurts his mental state if that hype stops him from working and improving and thinks he has nothing to prove. It should constantly be on his mind that he needs to prove it to all before he has even signed with any major team. so yes, prove it to me. Do you follow where I'm coming from.
I’m quoting this just to make sure it doesn’t get edited. Yikes.

sportzfan
Waterboy

Post by sportzfan »

danicalifornia wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:04 pm I’ve watched him once, they only posted him up once in that game and he scored there. He also played really good defense. One would assume that they will try to get him the ball more often, but that’s not on him.

He’s a 4-Star recruit who received 3 more offers in June (not just interest, but offers). He wouldn’t be the #1 recruit in Ohio in his class if he didn’t have the talent and just had size.
Are you carefully reading others posts before you reply. Did I not say "skilled" "talented" "upside" "has the ability to dominate"! Not just size! GA hadn't won even the OVC yet since he's been there, Although I suspect they will this year. The whole post was about a mental state he and the team must stay in to complete their/his journey, be it in high school or beyond. To your point about "just has size" I've seen kids his size that hadn't played Basketball receives offers. DMUP and Geronimo stated in so many words what I have said about this "7'2" kid in previous posts. They will come to him but he needs continuous improvement, and for Gods sake stay away from the "hype" especially if it diminishes his hunger.

To your observation about him posting up, I've noticed him being pushed off the block too easily, and the entry passer not being patient or skilled enough to get him the ball. Great passer, great blocker and well coordinated. As you said its not on him, most times, if he doesn't get the ball.

Have a good season.

Prep Expert
Freshman Team

Post by Prep Expert »

Sportzfan you seem to be some type of expert on big man recruitment. I must have been living under a rock for the last 20 years because I didn’t know Southeastern Ohio had so many 7 footers that received offers. You make it sound like Loveday is a dime a dozen. In the games I saw him I would say that he is one of the most unique players we have had in Southeastern Ohio. Why don’t you just enjoy him play the next couple of years instead of criticizing this young man!

sportzfan
Waterboy

Post by sportzfan »

Prep Expert wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:17 am Sportzfan you seem to be some type of expert on big man recruitment. I must have been living under a rock for the last 20 years because I didn’t know Southeastern Ohio had so many 7 footers that received offers. You make it sound like Loveday is a dime a dozen. In the games I saw him I would say that he is one of the most unique players we have had in Southeastern Ohio. Why don’t you just enjoy him play the next couple of years instead of criticizing this young man!
I never criticized him. I only hope those who are around him don’t hype him up to the point it gets to his head, and fall into the trap that many others have. I will enjoy watching him this year. I know him and his family. And as far as basketball, I’ve been around, I’ve seen a lot. Not only in the States but Europe and Australia. I’m not young. If you were any athlete at all you would understand where I’m coming from. Take time to read between the lines.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Great article, I really like all the things I read on this young man.

Tons of national attention and offers pouring in from D1 programs all over the country. Hopefully this young man will stay committed and work his tail off whenever he gets to college, as with his size and athleticism/coordination he has a real chance at making the league one day.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I will fortunate enough to get to see Gallia Academy & Mr. Loveday making the trek to Logan to take on my Purple this winter ! I wish the young BIG man nothing but the best ... 7-1 a given to get tons of looks from the world, BUT this young man can put the ball on the floor, can shoot AND MAKE the 3 ball ... AND I haven't mentioned all the qualities that go with being 7-1 that every expects from a BIG - blocked shots, rebounding, altering opponents shots IF they get into the paint but more importantly altering an opponents game plan forcing them (possibly) away from what THEY (the opponent) wants to do - IF that alone happens its a WIN for the Gallia team as the opponent is not getting to spots on the floor where they are comfortable, shots are different from spots on the floor that an opponent is forced to shoot from ... bottom line Mr. Loveday makes Gallia Academy the TEAM to beat this season in the OVC ... it will be interesting to see who else steps up for Gallia Academy to make them a "balanced" ball club ... Balance is a must for GAHS if they are going to go deep into the post season imo ...

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

hoping the Trojans take a step forward,GA may be the team to beat, but I miss the days when the trip to show always needed to drive through Portsmouth

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Very excited to hear about the progress of Portsmouth's Andrew Meadows, who is a 6-6 senior. The Trojans have lacked size for quite a while, in fact, have not had a starter at least 6-5 since Dion McKinley in 2012. Meadows will definitely push 6-3 senior Myquel McKinley for playing time. McKinley, meanwhile, is in great shape, having lost 15 pounds playing soccer at PHS. With Meadows improvement, the Trojans will have more of a defensive presence in the paint, along with McKinley, to go along with overall a very athletic team.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Has Andrew Meadows been playing the past 3 years? I noticed you talked about improvement. Sometimes it takes a big man a little longer to really show that he has really improved that much.

Return to “Boys Basketball”