Most surprising team this year

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Most surprising team this year

Post by Truth&fiction »

Basketball for High School teams is over and we all got a good read on the better teams . Throw out there some of the surprise teams and how they may stack up next year. Congratulations to all the teams for their accomplishments . Gotta love High School sports !

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Most surprising team this year

Post by danicalifornia »

Piketon.

I knew they were going to be pretty decent when Perdue transferred back to the Village. But, I thought that their staff used him extremely well and the role players carried their roles very well.

19-6 and reaching the District Finals is a pretty outstanding season, which I didn't see coming after losing a very solid Senior class from last year.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Warren.

17-7 and a return to the Convo for a team who really only had 2 returning contributors from last season. Warrior posters had told us all that they would be solid, but a slow start made it seem like a long shot...

Then, Josh Huffman was awesome for the Warriors all year long, Troy Huck provided lots of excitement in the Warrior Dome and Coach Maddox and his staff showed why they are so widely respected amongst the SE District.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I’d say South Webster, New Boston, and Green surprised a lot of people. Congratulations to great seasons for all of them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak won 13 games....the prior 4 seasons they totaled I think 10 wins.

West Union winning the SHAC and pushing 20 wins

Piketon

Warren, but Maddox team surpassing 15 wins will never really surprise me.

Miller

Peebles, knew they’d be solid and well coached but they really got it done this year.

Coal Grove...I never expect Coal Grove to be that good at basketball, but they sure were

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

From the other side, surprising for wrong reasons.

Fairfield
Manchester
Nelsonville York
Southeastern
South Point

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

New Boston

KRS
JV Team

Post by KRS »

Southeastern surprised me - only won 11 games but won a sectional and trip to the Convo. That was about 4/5 more than I had originally thought possible after after coming off 8 and 9 win seasons the previous two years. Graduating 3 seniors and only retuning one real scoring threat in Hartman, who really led this team all year. thought they had a very successful year. They have a nice young group retuning. They played hard and if they put in work should be much improved the next few years. Things are heading In the right direction.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Eastern Pike really surprised me with the season they had

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

Trimble and Southern. Both had young teams overall and finished well above .500. I know Trimble had Hixon but not much experience outside of him. Southern graduated a lot from the previous season and didn't really have a standout player, just a bunch of guys who played well together. Before season there was talk about Miller and Waterford being top of TVC Hocking, but Trimble won the league with Southern right in the thick of it.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

celticpride wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:24 pm Trimble and Southern. Both had young teams overall and finished well above .500. I know Trimble had Hixon but not much experience outside of him. Southern graduated a lot from the previous season and didn't really have a standout player, just a bunch of guys who played well together. Before season there was talk about Miller and Waterford being top of TVC Hocking, but Trimble won the league with Southern right in the thick of it.
Good post.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Logan. Success beyond expectations, regular season wise and tournament In Division I

Have gun, will travel
PowerLifitingNut
Riding the Bench

Post by PowerLifitingNut »

Paladin wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:25 pm Logan. Success beyond expectations, regular season wise and tournament In Division I
They would have been a real surprise if the OHSAA had listened to that guy who wrote the letter to them saying Logan should be in the SE D3 tourny. :mrgreen:

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

PowerLifitingNut wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Paladin wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:25 pm Logan. Success beyond expectations, regular season wise and tournament In Division I
They would have been a real surprise if the OHSAA had listened to that guy who wrote the letter to them saying Logan should be in the SE D3 tourny. :mrgreen:
I was hoping for positive comments and I appreciate those .

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Tolzda from Meadowbrook out of east/southeast regional . 1st time ever, Meadowbrook made it to Columbus.

BobcatFuture1
Freshman Team

Post by BobcatFuture1 »

To the outsiders Green shocked a lot of folks, but us close to the program in the Furnace knew!

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

BobcatFuture1 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:40 am To the outsiders Green shocked a lot of folks, but us close to the program in the Furnace knew!
Did the JV go undefeated?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I understand Logan is loaded again next year.

Have gun, will travel
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Meadowbrook

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Paladin wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 am I understand Logan is loaded again next year.
Yes. Logan should be very good again. Junior class led by Myers & Bell boys. 6' - 7" Landis is gone; that's a huge loss. It will hurt them but Logan is very disciplined & can play a good small ball game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”