D2
2018/19 Fairfield Lions viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69760
2018/19 Fayetteville-Perry Rockets viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69761
2018/19 Manchester Greyhounds viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69762
2018/19 Peebles Indians viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69758
2018/19 Whiteoak Wildcats viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69764

Here are my predictions:

Div I
1.Ripley- The Blue Jays lose a few seniors, but return much of the core of that made it to the DIV district final in the Southwest, and had a very good reserve team this year.

2. Eastern Brown- Coach Beucler's Warrior's return four key players in Hamilton, Vaughn, Burns, and Ruckel. Hopefully Kaleb Martin can recover the injury that limited his time this season

3. North Adams- They return their two leading scorers in McCormick and Elijah Young, and their reserve team only lost one game this year. If the pieces come together well the Green Devils could have a very good year.

4. West Union- The loss of their seniors this year will be an obstacle, but the Dragons should still be a very competitive team next season with Rothwell, Kingsolver and Tomlin returning.

5. Lynchburg- The loss of Eric McLaughlin will be tough, but Pierson is a nice guard, Coach Carson's Mustangs could surprise some people next year, but I think it will be tough will all the talent they've graduated recently.

Div II
1. Fairfield- They return Bentley, Simmons, Wiley and Buddlemeyer, which is a nice core. Hopefully the Lions can avoid the injury bug that hurt them in the middle of this year.

2. Whiteoak- With Hamilton, Rand, and the younger Yeager all returning they should compete for the small school title. Coach Kibler did a good job in year one with the Wildcats, and definitely has them trending upward.

3. Peebles- The Indians lose a lot from their team that made it to the Elite 8 this year, but return guard Weston Browning and had a nice reserve team this year. Coach Arey always does a good job, and they may surprise some folks next season.

4. Fayetteville- They lose a lot of their size from this year, but the Rockets do return key players McCulley and Murphy.

5. Manchester- Hopefully the Greyhounds find some stability with their coaching staff, which will help their program going forward, but they lose leading scorers Utterback and Combs to graduation.

Overall, I think the league will be competitive in 2018-2019, with any of the top three in both the big and small school having a chance to win their respective divisions. I do think the big school division will be a little better both a the top and in terms of depth. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. What does everyone else think?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Very Early SHAC Preview/Predictions 2018-2019

Post by Ironman92 »

I’ve heard Whiteoak getting a very key player returning to their team. Significant if true.

SHACFan
Freshman Team

Post by SHACFan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:51 pm I’ve heard Whiteoak getting a very key player returning to their team. Significant if true.
Maybe one who played at Whiteoak as a freshman?

As for the rest business as usual, pretty competitive league next year , with the only bottom feeder I see being Manchester.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

1.Ripley - Return a ton of talent which is now seasoned with some post season succcess.
2. Eastern Brown- Beucler
3. North Adams- Top 2 scorers and always play hard.
4. West Union- Coach Himes will have a young group of Dragons.
5. Lynchburg- Carson will be tested with this group.

1.Peebles - until someone dethrones them. Arey will have them ready and Browning proved in the tournament that he could be ready to lead and be a volume scorer.
2.Fairfield - I look for them to be part of the 3 horse race with Peebles and Whiteoak.
3. Whiteoak - Cats take next step next year, if not in the SHAC I look for them to be a convo team next season.
4. Fayetteville- A few solid returners.
5. Manchester- Stay tuned for the next episode of Survivor "Manchester"

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

I just want to state how I think the coaching in the SHAC is underrated amongst other discussions. The SHAC is competitive every year and any given night you could get beat if you don’t bring it. Kibler made a huge impact on Whiteoak in year #1, Howland and Fairfield were top of the league at one point, coach Himes winning the league year 1 and Ripley’s coach had great success this year in His first season. Then you have the season Vets in Beucler, Carson and Arey who every year have their teams compete. The SHAC is continuously improving.

Vike73
Riding the Bench

Post by Vike73 »

Was it ever determined if Manchester was joining the SOC I? Could be a better fit competition wise with Eastern Pike moving up.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

BallDontLie wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:55 am I just want to state how I think the coaching in the SHAC is underrated amongst other discussions. The SHAC is competitive every year and any given night you could get beat if you don’t bring it. Kibler made a huge impact on Whiteoak in year #1, Howland and Fairfield were top of the league at one point, coach Himes winning the league year 1 and Ripley’s coach had great success this year in His first season. Then you have the season Vets in Beucler, Carson and Arey who every year have their teams compete. The SHAC is continuously improving.
Agree

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Vike73 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:23 pm Was it ever determined if Manchester was joining the SOC I? Could be a better fit competition wise with Eastern Pike moving up.
I don’t think Manchester is going anywhere. For as bad of a season they had in basketball this past year, it’s still their better sport compared to football, which I think is a key point for them to make that move to SOC but football isn’t important enough for them. Numbers are low anyway for the program so I think they are staying in the SHAC. They have a lot of things to work out though.

32west
Riding the Bench

Post by 32west »

BallDontLie wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 pm
Vike73 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:23 pm Was it ever determined if Manchester was joining the SOC I? Could be a better fit competition wise with Eastern Pike moving up.
I don’t think Manchester is going anywhere. For as bad of a season they had in basketball this past year, it’s still their better sport compared to football, which I think is a key point for them to make that move to SOC but football isn’t important enough for them. Numbers are low anyway for the program so I think they are staying in the SHAC. They have a lot of things to work out though.
I’d also be surprised if Manchester leaves the SHAC. They’ve gotten their football program started and I hope they can continue it, but with the lack of numbers they have for football, I don’t expect them to change leagues for that reason. Especially with the power plants closing

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Exactly 32west. Manchester’s 8th grade boys have been top 4 the last 2 years in their grade in the jr high league so maybe that class will win some games basketball wise in future years. Need to get a varsity and jv coach first.

32west
Riding the Bench

Post by 32west »

BallDontLie wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:35 pm Exactly 32west. Manchester’s 8th grade boys have been top 4 the last 2 years in their grade in the jr high league so maybe that class will win some games basketball wise in future years. Need to get a varsity and jv coach first.
I agree. If they make a quality hire the program could be back on track soon

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Manchester hired Greg Scott to be their head coach and apparently he signed a contract stating he’d be the coach the next 4 years. He has been their junior high coach the past couple years.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Eastern could be down.

Whiteoak could be tough

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Eastern returns more than anyone I think unless something has changed; Hamilton, Ruckel, Titus Burns, Vaughn and the other big boy I think his last name is Martin? Their jv/Frosh teams were not bad and they have a good class coming in, don’t know who will be varsity. Whiteoak will be good like Ironman stated.

32west
Riding the Bench

Post by 32west »

As stated on another thread, West Union will have a new coach next season as well. Coach Himes will not be returning.

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

WU stayed home and hired Austin Kingsolver to be their next head coach. He has been the jv coach the last 3 years I believe.

BananaSC74
Freshman Team

Post by BananaSC74 »

The SHAC is the MOST UNDERRATED league in southern Ohio... good players, competitive league with each team fighting for a chance to win the whole thing. The competitive evenness in the league makes it amazing to watch... can’t wait for the season.

McBuckets
Waterboy

Post by McBuckets »

People don't realize how good Fairfield is. In the 2016-17 season they were picked to end up 3rd in the small school and like 5th overall. They went 8-0 in the small school, tied for 1st overall, and made the deepest tourney run of any SHAC team. Do not underestimate this team. James Bentley will be rocking the new nickname the "Shaq of the SHAC" because of his unmatched post dominance. Bryson Simmons has Max Lanham's handle with Blake Justice's shot and Jensen Daulton's clutch gene. Sam Buddlemeyer's left hand is permanently un-guardable. Willey plays like Simmons, only a little more perimeter'-oriented. This team is 10-12 deep with legit D1 talent. You heard it here first.

BananaSC74
Freshman Team

Post by BananaSC74 »

McBuckets wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:35 pm People don't realize how good Fairfield is. In the 2016-17 season they were picked to end up 3rd in the small school and like 5th overall. They went 8-0 in the small school, tied for 1st overall, and made the deepest tourney run of any SHAC team. Do not underestimate this team. James Bentley will be rocking the new nickname the "Shaq of the SHAC" because of his unmatched post dominance. Bryson Simmons has Max Lanham's handle with Blake Justice's shot and Jensen Daulton's clutch gene. Sam Buddlemeyer's left hand is permanently un-guardable. Willey plays like Simmons, only a little more perimeter'-oriented. This team is 10-12 deep with legit D1 talent. You heard it here first.
FAIRFIELD LOCAL?!

No way. They are gonna take a big an L in league play this year it’s not going to come together for them sadly.. they don’t have the weapons that Peebles or even Ripley will have.

McBuckets
Waterboy

Post by McBuckets »

BananaSC74 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:39 pm
McBuckets wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:35 pm People don't realize how good Fairfield is. In the 2016-17 season they were picked to end up 3rd in the small school and like 5th overall. They went 8-0 in the small school, tied for 1st overall, and made the deepest tourney run of any SHAC team. Do not underestimate this team. James Bentley will be rocking the new nickname the "Shaq of the SHAC" because of his unmatched post dominance. Bryson Simmons has Max Lanham's handle with Blake Justice's shot and Jensen Daulton's clutch gene. Sam Buddlemeyer's left hand is permanently un-guardable. Willey plays like Simmons, only a little more perimeter'-oriented. This team is 10-12 deep with legit D1 talent. You heard it here first.
FAIRFIELD LOCAL?!

No way. They are gonna take a big an L in league play this year it’s not going to come together for them sadly.. they don’t have the weapons that Peebles or even Ripley will have.
Ripley's biggest weapon against Fairfield is the hour and a half drive Fairfield will face to play them this year. Peebles will have to literally get out weapons and injure Fairfield's whole roster in order to keep the game within single digits.

Return to “Boys Basketball”