2018/19 River Valley Raiders Coaching Search

Jayski
Waterboy

Re: River Valley Job Opening

Post by Jayski »

Why would Hill need to find a job somewhere when he is the coach and a teacher at Eastern? Is Eastern going to get rid of him? Can you fill us in with info Coyote? If they are, this has to be the best kept secret in the history of Eastern! Virtually no one in or around the school is aware of any talk of getting rid of Hill.

Thewaterboy69
Waterboy

Post by Thewaterboy69 »

Howie Caldwell has been confirmed he will be the new river valley head coach terrific hire

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

Thewaterboy69 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:20 pm Howie Caldwell has been confirmed he will be the new river valley head coach terrific hire
Good 1. Same guy who started the Persin back to Chesapeake topic.

Thewaterboy69
Waterboy

Post by Thewaterboy69 »

How about you hop off my nuts buddy I’m just here reporting the real news

Penguin
Freshman Team

Post by Penguin »

Thewaterboy69 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:39 pm How about you hop off my nuts buddy I’m just here reporting the real news
So Persin is going back to Chesapeake?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

coyote wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 pm
coyote wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:01 pm
Why couldn't this happen?
Because he's not interested.
He has to find a job somewhere.
I don't know what you've heard but apparently it was bad info.

coyote
Riding the Bench

Post by coyote »

BlizzardMan wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:09 pm
coyote wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 am
BlizzardMan wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 pm
Because he's not interested.
He has to find a job somewhere.
I don't know what you've heard but apparently it was bad info.
Well unless he is getting out of coaching he has to take a job somewhere! LOL

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

Is the Sheets guy still in the school system? I think he taught science possibly. I think he used to coach at Chesapeake. Could he try to get the job?

gonefishin
Waterboy

Post by gonefishin »

Well is this tighter than Fort Knox or does someone know who all applied?

sandstorm23
Freshman Team

Post by sandstorm23 »

Bump.....Any updates to this opening?

gonefishin
Waterboy

Post by gonefishin »

I wonder if the move to D2 changes some things, this will be one tough job.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I believe going D2 would have to make anyone think twice before applying. It would be extremely difficult to compete in the tournament with other D2's

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

Personally, I wouldn't want a coach who was only worried about winning. If D2 scares him off, then he's not the right guy. The new coach needs to care about building a program from the bottom up. D2 will be a challenge, but so was D3.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

How do you build a program?

Success is the biggest factor when talking about building a program. So to have a concern about the jump to D2 should be on every applicant's mind.

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

You build a program by developing your youth and building numbers. You keep some type of consistency with your middle school program (same coaches, teach fundamentals, run same O and D). Schools like River Valley are going to fluctuate in talent year to year, so they need to rely on their program in down years. Any coach worth a grain of salt would prioritize those things over winning. They will lead to success in the future.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I do not disagree with anything you just posted, however, kids aren't like they used to be. To be apart of a program doesn't mean anything to the vast majority of kids today. Kids want to be apart of a winning team and get the attention. So in today's society, I agree you need all the things you mentioned, but if you don't produce success very quick, parents and administration will run you out of town. That is in no way a knock on River Valley. That is the truth of youth sports nationwide. There are always exceptions, but far more examples indicate what I just said, as opposed to examples of letting a program build and define itself, then let the wins follow.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Some of the names I've heard for this are very surprising. I won't say any of them because I'm not sure if a single one of them is true, but I'm surprised at what I've heard. I'm very intrigued by this hire.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fonzie wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:22 am I believe going D2 would have to make anyone think twice before applying. It would be extremely difficult to compete in the tournament with other D2's
I highly doubt RV stays D2 for long. Be kinda like Meigs where they spend more years as D3, but sometimes jump up to D2.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 am
Fonzie wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:22 am I believe going D2 would have to make anyone think twice before applying. It would be extremely difficult to compete in the tournament with other D2's
I highly doubt RV stays D2 for long. Be kinda like Meigs where they spend more years as D3, but sometimes jump up to D2.
Not a good Comparison. Meigs has only not been D2 very few times. Maybe only once. However I look for them to remain in D3 more so moving forward.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

TVC wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:41 am
93Bulldog wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 am
Not a good Comparison. Meigs has only not been D2 very few times. Maybe only once. However I look for them to remain in D3 more so moving forward.
Pretty sure RV was D2 up until maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Not new for them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”