Greenfield McClain Non-Renews Coach

HamPorter
All Conference

Greenfield McClain Non-Renews Coach

Post by HamPorter »

What a tough job that has to be at this point. They have a little bit of young talent, but it isn't a great situation.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Re: Greenfield McClain Non-Renews Coach

Post by LucasDavenport »

This could be an interesting search!!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Del Griffith
Waterboy

Post by Del Griffith »

Bring back Rick Van Matre

seopcommenter
Riding the Bench
Location: i like to back my statemints up with historical factoids

Post by seopcommenter »

i bet they wood love two bring back coach ric van meter butt wood he want to come back to that sitation??

Jay Bruce
Freshman Team

Post by Jay Bruce »

Greenfield definitely hasn't been the same since Rick Van Matre retired. That was one school that put the fear in everyone on their schedule!!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

That league is just a grind.

THEConvoK9
Waterboy

Post by THEConvoK9 »

Dante?

domain master
Freshman Team

Post by domain master »

Agree, program has been downhill since Rick retired. The league is a grind. Hard to compete for league titles in the FAC in basketball, but more in football. May be in over their heads in the FAC. Would be a lot better fit going back to their old league the SBAAC (which has big/small division) where they can compete with schools of similar size and skill set. Having been in the SBAAC they have rivals already in place. Bring Rick back.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

For almost 30 years, from the early 80's to around 2010, Greenfield McClain was one of the winningest programs in the SE District. Not only was Rick Van Matre a great coach, but he had a feeder system that had his Tigers reloading every year. It was almost a sure thing under Van Matre that not only were the Purple and Gold going to win 20 games or close to it, they would be a regional threat every season. The Tigers were known for their defense and not beating themselves. Players like Dante Jackson, Bill Cullom, Dale Gillenwater, Paul Bond, the Colemans, Troy Seely, Doug Mustard, Rob Munyan, Robbie Jackson, and others kept the Tigers on the long end of the scoreboard. Jackson was special to watch, in that he made everyone around him better, like LeBron James does in Cleveland.

Having been to McClain HS gym a number of times during that era, it was quite a difficult atmosphere for opposing teams to deal with. I haven't been back since Van Matre retired, but like any program that has had a period of struggling, it will take time to get it back on the winning side of the ledger. It can be done, because at Portsmouth we experienced the first and only losing decade in PHS's decorated history, going 100-121 from 2000-2009 with 7 straight losing seasons. Just 2 years later, in 2011, the Trojans reached the Final 4, and the very next year, 2012, repeated that feat, going all the way to the state championship game.

I would like to see McClain get its program back on its feet, but patience is one of the hardest things to convince fans of. Hiring the right fit for GMHS is an important first step. The FAC may be difficult for the Tigers to navigate, being the smallest school in the conference. Portsmouth won the SEOAL outright, though, in 2012, and tied for first in 2011 with Warren. PHS did leave the SEOAL for the OVC which have schools with similar enrollments. I don't know what other league options are out there for McClain, perhaps they would be a good fit for the SVC, with Zane Trace, Unioto, and Westfall all D2 schools.

domain master
Freshman Team

Post by domain master »

I agree, SVC would be the best fit(always has been along with SCOL), but have heard for years is that they have a great set up and have no desire to expand.

Sportsman
Riding the Bench

Post by Sportsman »

Loved watching Rick coach but I am thinking his last 1 or 2 years Greenfield hit rock bottom and Rick had some Health problems so he stepped away . Eaton who was Ricks assistant took over and had some success and then he came back home to Wheelersburg. Very difficult job the way it stands today..

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

I would imagine they at least called Huffer. He is a Greenfield guy so maybe he listens? Anytime you have a chance to go home it's capable of pulling on the heart strings.

miggyt
Freshman Team

Post by miggyt »

N2Hoops wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 am I would imagine they at least called Huffer. He is a Greenfield guy so maybe he listens? Anytime you have a chance to go home it's capable of pulling on the heart strings.
Was offered AD job last year and turned it down. I'd be surprised if he left Chillicothe, but ...

Del Griffith
Waterboy

Post by Del Griffith »

Would Shoemaker from PV be interested? Was done dirty over in Bainbridge last week...

Del Griffith
Waterboy

Post by Del Griffith »

Would Shoemaker from PV be interested? Was done dirty over in Bainbridge last week...

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Let's just have 22 parents take turns coaching the regular season and the winner gets to coach the tournament. Great idea 😂

Return to “Boys Basketball”