2018-19 Basketball Divisions Announced

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Re: 2018-19 Basketball Divisions Announced

Post by Truth&fiction »

trojandave wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 pm GoBucks1047: You make good points about the splitting of 4 divisions. Your proposal seems logical in that if the 4 division system were to stay in place, then the largest of the current D1 schools would basically be in a downsized D1, while the other 3 divisions would include more schools but there would still be balance in enrollment figures. To be truly fair, there's no way mathematically that all 4 divisions could be the same size because of such huge enrollment differences in the current D1. For the other 3 divisions, with an increased number of schools of either 229 or 240, that would be only an increase of 29 or 40 schools over the current 200. The big winner in your proposal would be D2, since they would no longer have to deal with supersized D1 schools. There would be grumbling from schools in D3 and D4, with the increased number of schools to compete against. All in all, I think your proposal presents a fair playing field for all schools, taking into account that no system will be perfect but that tweaking the current system is strongly recommended, especially for the small D1 schools. With competitive balance, it would hard to say how much this would affect the divisions, but most likely there would not be a major shift; however, in the current competitive balance system, there are many private, catholic,and jesuit schools that have the highest CP numbers. Akron SVSM moved up to D1 for next season as a result. It would be interesting to see how many other schools would be bumped up with revised division numbers.

Just think, Chillicothe and Logan are the only D1 schools in the SE district, and are on the small end of the enrollment breakdown. I think that both could greatly benefit from separating the supersized D1 schools from the smaller D1's......and both schools had very good teams this past season. Unfortunately, the current D1 setup in most years would prove to be a death sentence for the Cavaliers and Chieftains, as they would have to deal most likely with much larger schools in the first or second round of the tournament. If they were in a revamped D2, with your proposal, their tournament possiblities would be intriguing at the very least. Remember that Chillicothe won the 2008 state championship as a D2 school.
Very good POST. OHSAA are you listening . Good proposals . Are you out there OHSAA ?

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Re: 2018-19 Basketball Divisions Announced

Post by GoBucks1047 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 pm GoBucks1047: You make good points about the splitting of 4 divisions. Your proposal seems logical in that if the 4 division system were to stay in place, then the largest of the current D1 schools would basically be in a downsized D1, while the other 3 divisions would include more schools but there would still be balance in enrollment figures. To be truly fair, there's no way mathematically that all 4 divisions could be the same size because of such huge enrollment differences in the current D1. For the other 3 divisions, with an increased number of schools of either 229 or 240, that would be only an increase of 29 or 40 schools over the current 200. The big winner in your proposal would be D2, since they would no longer have to deal with supersized D1 schools. There would be grumbling from schools in D3 and D4, with the increased number of schools to compete against. All in all, I think your proposal presents a fair playing field for all schools, taking into account that no system will be perfect but that tweaking the current system is strongly recommended, especially for the small D1 schools. With competitive balance, it would hard to say how much this would affect the divisions, but most likely there would not be a major shift; however, in the current competitive balance system, there are many private, catholic,and jesuit schools that have the highest CP numbers. Akron SVSM moved up to D1 for next season as a result. It would be interesting to see how many other schools would be bumped up with revised division numbers.

Just think, Chillicothe and Logan are the only D1 schools in the SE district, and are on the small end of the enrollment breakdown. I think that both could greatly benefit from separating the supersized D1 schools from the smaller D1's......and both schools had very good teams this past season. Unfortunately, the current D1 setup in most years would prove to be a death sentence for the Cavaliers and Chieftains, as they would have to deal most likely with much larger schools in the first or second round of the tournament. If they were in a revamped D2, with your proposal, their tournament possiblities would be intriguing at the very least. Remember that Chillicothe won the 2008 state championship as a D2 school.
Based on the SE using an 80-team D1 using the data from the 792 schools available thus far, there was some very interesting results:

Division 2: (11) 260-588
Logan
Chillicothe
Marietta
Athens
Sheridan
Warren
Jackson
Hillsboro
Fairfield Union
Miami Trace
Unioto

I wonder if in this scenario, SE district and the southern most East district schools would merge in D2 as I think there is 10 in the East total, I was thinking Tri-Valley, Zanesville, Maysville, and John Glenn, and the remaining East schools (all along and north of US-36) join the Northeast, who would have had 94 last year in this format and divided with geographic districts, with districts averaging 14-15 in D2-D4.
If D1 was expanded to 96 teams, Vinton County, Circleville, and Washington C.H. move to D2 and expansion to 112 teams adds Logan Elm and maybe McClain to D2 (depends if D2 would start at 247 or 248). Logan in a 112 team D1 is barely D2 by 1, but safe in a 96 team D1.

Division 3: (29) 143-259
Vinton County (259), Circleville (256), Washington C.H. (255), Logan Elm, McClain, Gallia Academy, New Lexington, Waverly, Zane Trace, Westfall, and River Valley all drop to D3

Division 4: (31) 015-142
West Union (141), North Adams (140), Nelsonville-York, Southeastern, Eastern-Pike, Crooksville, Huntington, Paint Valley, Valley, Western, and Brepre all drop to D4

West Union and North Adams go up to D3 if 96 or 112 team D1. Nelsonville-York and Southeastern miss D3 by 1 in a 112 team D1.

Overall, I would be interested to see if some schools would join the Southeast District as there would be more sectional sites, I am looking at Teays Valley, Bloom Carroll, Amanda Clearcreek, Morgan, Fort Frye, Ripley, and Fayetteville-Perry. Would teams leave the Southeast district such as Logan, Circleville, Logan Elm, Sheridan, Fairfield Union, New Lexington, Crooksville, Eastern-Brown, Marietta, and Warren.

Return to “Boys Basketball”