2018-19 Basketball Divisions Announced

bsee12345
Varsity

2018-19 Basketball Divisions Announced

Post by bsee12345 »

Biggest news is Akron St Vincent-St Marys will be in Division I

Also, Deer Park had a lot of accusations thrown at them and their competitive balance number is 0. Interesting.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournaments ... ll-2018-19

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Re: 2018-19 Basketball Divisions Announced

Post by N2Hoops »

Eastern Pike and Western Pike remain d3.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

There are some really big competitive balance numbers with the private/catholic/jesuit schools. Akron SVSM will have a much harder time navigating the D1 tournament. I see there are 5 schools in the OVC (Fairland, Rock Hill, South Point, Chesapeake, and Gallia Academy) that are larger than Portsmouth.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I wouldn’t be surprised if Akron SVSM wins the D1 state title next year

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Raider6309: They might, but I think it's going to be quite a bit tougher in D1. Plus factor in the law of averages. They've won the state the last 2 years in D2, chances are winning it 3 years in a row, moving up a division, the odds are not in their favor. But they do have a great program and probably will at least contend for it.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

OHSAA should of created at least one more division . Mason has right at 1000 more boys than the lowest D1 program . Competitive Balance was a good first step . I would call it an out of BALANCE ALIGNMENT that exist now . Schools are getting so big that another division is needed . Are you listening OHSAA?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Agree

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Local teams that moved.

River Valley (D-III → D-II)

Fairland (D-II → D-III)
Belpre (D-IV → D-III)

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:37 am Local teams that moved.

Fairland (D-II → D-III)
Belpre (D-IV → D-III)
River Valley D2? Yikes.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

SWJeeps22 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:52 am
Tri-StateYouthSports wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:37 am Local teams that moved.

Fairland (D-II → D-III)
Belpre (D-IV → D-III)
River Valley D2? Yikes.
They have a +16 CB. Surprised it was that large. That is what pushed them to Div-II (213-361 and they are 214).

Post by 4out1in »

Truth&fiction wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:43 pm OHSAA should of created at least one more division . Mason has right at 1000 more boys than the lowest D1 program . Competitive Balance was a good first step . I would call it an out of BALANCE ALIGNMENT that exist now . Schools are getting so big that another division is needed . Are you listening OHSAA?
You are 100% correct, the balance in DI is way out of whack. I used to be at a small DI program. The difference between us and the largest DI school was nearly 1,000 which was much greater than the difference between us and the smallest DIV school. That is ridiculous. The OHSAA has this idea that all divisions have to be divided evenly. Nonsense. Rather than add a division which IMO would cheapen a state title (i freely admit I may be wrong on this), I would like to see a super division (just throwing out an arbitrary number, say 650 and above). Then if the OHSAA is so hell-bent on dividing divisions evenly, take the remaining schools and divide them into divisions II, III and IV. I think having more than 4 divisions would create a logistical nightmare for the OHSAA.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

bsee12345 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:32 pm Biggest news is Akron St Vincent-St Marys will be in Division I

Also, Deer Park had a lot of accusations thrown at them and their competitive balance number is 0. Interesting.

http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports-Tournaments ... ll-2018-19
Deer Park’s CB number is zero because they were bonafide move-ins.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

4out1in wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:08 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:43 pm OHSAA should of created at least one more division . Mason has right at 1000 more boys than the lowest D1 program . Competitive Balance was a good first step . I would call it an out of BALANCE ALIGNMENT that exist now . Schools are getting so big that another division is needed . Are you listening OHSAA?
You are 100% correct, the balance in DI is way out of whack. I used to be at a small DI program. The difference between us and the largest DI school was nearly 1,000 which was much greater than the difference between us and the smallest DIV school. That is ridiculous. The OHSAA has this idea that all divisions have to be divided evenly. Nonsense. Rather than add a division which IMO would cheapen a state title (i freely admit I may be wrong on this), I would like to see a super division (just throwing out an arbitrary number, say 650 and above). Then if the OHSAA is so hell-bent on dividing divisions evenly, take the remaining schools and divide them into divisions II, III and IV. I think having more than 4 divisions would create a logistical nightmare for the OHSAA.
I agree 100% .Create a super Division and divide the rest in 3 divisions . OHSAA are you listening ? It's not that difficult . Do your job and level the difference .

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Here are the lowest D1 schools by enrollment if OHSAA shrunk D1 to the top schools by enrollment or created a 5th division for the top schools by enrollment. It should be worth noting that there was only 792 schools listed, there has been 799 schools the last few years. Not sure if because schools either couldn't afford or field teams, schools shut down, or enrollment data wasn't recorded or received before the media release. I feel like 80 schools for D1 would be reasonable as it is around the top 10% of basketball schools (similar to what was done in football), but I can see D1 as large as 96 schools regardless of if there is 4 or 5 divisions.

# of D1 Schools: Lowest D1 Enrollment
064 Schools: 639
072 Schools: 617
080 Schools: 589
088 Schools: 549
096 Schools: 531
104 Schools: 509
112 Schools: 506
120 Schools: 490
128 Schools: 479

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Although I have been a proponent of the 4 division system, I do agree with the posters above that a "new" D1 should be added. There is a larger disparity in enrollment in the current D1 than in any other division by far. Even with competitive balance and open enrollment, a very small D1 school has the odds stacked against them going having to compete with far larger D1 schools.

A 7th division in football, which was the top end of the D1 enrollment schools, was added, so I think logistically a 5th division would make sense to do the same for basketball. The state tournament might have to be reformatted somewhat, maybe starting on Wednesday instead of Thursday, but that should be a minor issue. Some argue that the tournament is already watered down, but there would still be good basketball even with a 5th division. Having more schools get the chance to experience a long tournament run is always a good thing to me, and I think it would be good for the OHSAA as well.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

trojandave wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:56 pm Although I have been a proponent of the 4 division system, I do agree with the posters above that a "new" D1 should be added. There is a larger disparity in enrollment in the current D1 than in any other division by far. Even with competitive balance and open enrollment, a very small D1 school has the odds stacked against them going having to compete with far larger D1 schools.

A 7th division in football, which was the top end of the D1 enrollment schools, was added, so I think logistically a 5th division would make sense to do the same for basketball. The state tournament might have to be reformatted somewhat, maybe starting on Wednesday instead of Thursday, but that should be a minor issue. Some argue that the tournament is already watered down, but there would still be good basketball even with a 5th division. Having more schools get the chance to experience a long tournament run is always a good thing to me, and I think it would be good for the OHSAA as well.
Agreed. I coached baseball at the smallest D1 last Spring and we played a tournament game at Mason (the largest D1) and let's just say that they had more Seniors on their roster than we had varsity players and more varsity players than we had total in our program...and that doesn't even say how many they cut.

I think making small adjustment could make a big difference for those lower tiered D1's.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Keep basketball 4 or maybe 5 and go back to 6 in football. The 7th division is stupid

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Completely agree !

GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

I know somewhat off topic being a basketball thread, but if football went back to 6 Divisions with the top 10% in D1 and the rest split evenly, a way to make up how and still allow the potential for teams to make the playoffs who hadn’t before (the idea with 7 divisions) would be to expand the D2-D6 playoffs to 48 teams per division (top 12 teams out of 32-33 per region), and decease the amount of teams in D1 to 24 teams (top 6 teams out of 18 per region). It rewards the top teams while allowing more teams to qualify (overall, 40 more teams make the playoffs) and it is still somewhat reasonable on the amount of teams as it would be the same chance as an NFL team would have. For the season overall, however, I think the season would have to be extended to a week earlier to start the season and to make it easier on the athletes physically and mentally, the season may have to be extended either longer with a bye week added or cut the regular season by a week; D1 would also likely have to play an additional regular season game. Thoughts?

I also think, to keep a conversation on topic, that the top 12% of basketball teams (96 schools) could make a reasonable D1 with either 16 districts of 6 teams or 8 districts of 12 teams with the rest divided evenly throughout 4 divisions. I chose 96 because you can create a district of NW Ohio schools who wouldn’t be playing their 1st and 2nd Round games in Cleveland or Columbus from Findley or Toledo, and it’s rewards the top teams with a bye, if seeded; regular season would have to be expanded to 24 games max to make up for the 1-2 tournament games lost in D1. D2-D5 would have 176 teams, down from 200, with 16 districts of 11 teams and rewards the top 3-5 teams (depending on district strength) while providing more opportunities for teams to make tournament runs to state. I think the state tournament could still be done in 3 days with 5 divisions if done correctly.

If 4 divisions had to be done, then I’d recommend either 80-240-240-240 or 112-229-229-229. The first option has the best option for enrollment size in terms of D1 schools, though D1 schools could be spread out with either 16 districts of 5 or 8 districts of 10 while D2-D4 would have 16 districts of 15. The 2nd option somewhat balances all 4 divisions with D1 having either 16 districts of 7 or 8 districts of 14 and D2-D4 having 16 districts of 14-15 teams and D1 would be for roughly enrollment 500 and larger; option 2 could be cut down to 104-232-232-232 with D1 8 districts of 13 teams and D2-D4 with 16 districts to 14-15 (14.5). Any thoughts about the last 2 paragraphs?

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

GoBucks1047: You make good points about the splitting of 4 divisions. Your proposal seems logical in that if the 4 division system were to stay in place, then the largest of the current D1 schools would basically be in a downsized D1, while the other 3 divisions would include more schools but there would still be balance in enrollment figures. To be truly fair, there's no way mathematically that all 4 divisions could be the same size because of such huge enrollment differences in the current D1. For the other 3 divisions, with an increased number of schools of either 229 or 240, that would be only an increase of 29 or 40 schools over the current 200. The big winner in your proposal would be D2, since they would no longer have to deal with supersized D1 schools. There would be grumbling from schools in D3 and D4, with the increased number of schools to compete against. All in all, I think your proposal presents a fair playing field for all schools, taking into account that no system will be perfect but that tweaking the current system is strongly recommended, especially for the small D1 schools. With competitive balance, it would hard to say how much this would affect the divisions, but most likely there would not be a major shift; however, in the current competitive balance system, there are many private, catholic,and jesuit schools that have the highest CP numbers. Akron SVSM moved up to D1 for next season as a result. It would be interesting to see how many other schools would be bumped up with revised division numbers.

Just think, Chillicothe and Logan are the only D1 schools in the SE district, and are on the small end of the enrollment breakdown. I think that both could greatly benefit from separating the supersized D1 schools from the smaller D1's......and both schools had very good teams this past season. Unfortunately, the current D1 setup in most years would prove to be a death sentence for the Cavaliers and Chieftains, as they would have to deal most likely with much larger schools in the first or second round of the tournament. If they were in a revamped D2, with your proposal, their tournament possiblities would be intriguing at the very least. Remember that Chillicothe won the 2008 state championship as a D2 school.

Return to “Boys Basketball”