Dunbar Suspended from 2019 Tourney

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Dunbar Suspended from 2019 Tourney

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

News Release – Ohio High School Athletic Association

Executive Director Daniel B. Ross, Ph.D.

www.OHSAA.org | twitter.com/OHSAASports | facebook.com/OHSAA

For Immediate Release – April 26, 2018

Contact – Tim Stried, OHSAA Director of Communications, tstried@ohsaa.org

Dayton Public Schools and OHSAA Announce Closure to Dunbar Basketball Incident

New evidence leads DPS and OHSAA to same conclusion in aftermath of court case

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Dayton Public Schools superintendent Dr. Elizabeth Lolli and Ohio High School Athletic Association Executive Director Dr. Dan Ross have announced closure to the case involving Dunbar High School boys’ basketball during the 2017-18 season.

In March, Dayton Public Schools filed a lawsuit to block the OHSAA’s decision to remove Dunbar from the boys’ basketball tournament for using an ineligible player, which stemmed from Dunbar not suspending junior varsity players who left the bench during a fight in January. The issue was whether one player, who later participated in a varsity tournament game, left the bench during the fight. The court sided with Dayton Public Schools, stating: “In reviewing the record upon which OHSAA based its decision, the Court finds that OHSAA’s decision is not supported by reliable, probative and substantial evidence.” The court further found “thus, as Coach Taylor testified, John Doe was already in the locker room hallway before the fight broke out.” However, after the Court’s ruling, new evidence came to light, showing that the student-athlete left the bench and went into the fight.

DAYTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS STATEMENT

“I would like to thank Dr. Ross and the OHSAA for working with us to find the truth in this situation,” Lolli said. “It is concerning that individuals with information about the incident did not feel comfortable coming forward before the court hearing. We owe an apology to Bishop Fenwick High School, Thurgood Marshall High School and the OHSAA. We have taken corrective measures to address the situation. We appreciate the OHSAA’s cooperation and compassion during this situation. We know that removal of Dayton Public Schools’ membership in the OHSAA was an option.”

OHSAA STATEMENT

“I was a superintendent for a long time, so I understand what Dr. Lolli has been going through with this,” Ross said. “Our staff was convinced by the evidence we had in making our original decision that the youngster came off the bench when the fight broke out. Once new evidence was obtained and shared with Dr. Lolli, she immediately knew that it was a very serious matter and wanted to work with the OHSAA to make the needed corrections. It has been a pleasure working with her and we trust that nothing like this will happen again at Dayton Public Schools.”

DAYTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS ACTION

Dayton Public Schools began reviewing athletic department structure and procedures immediately after this incident occurred. The District is in the process of making decisions about the athletic department and will be implementing changes over the next several weeks. Dr. Ross has been kept apprised of these discussions. DPS is committed to making certain that its coaches and administrators know and follow OHSAA rules, properly investigate incidents, and impose appropriate consequences for rule violations.

OHSAA SANCTIONS

In addition, the OHSAA has handed down the following sanctions. Dunbar will not be permitted to participate in the 2019 boys’ basketball tournament and Dayton Public Schools will reimburse the OHSAA’s court costs, fees and expenses related to the March hearing. In addition, the OHSAA has extended the current probation period that all Dayton Public Schools are currently serving from a football incident in 2016. That probation is now extended through June 2020 for all DPS schools and through 2022 for Dunbar.

“For the last month, this has been an effort from both sides working together – the OHSAA and Dayton Public Schools,” Ross said. “I commend Dr. Lolli for working hard to do the right thing here and get to the truth. She cares deeply for Dayton Public Schools and understands how important this is for DPS moving forward.”

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: Dunbar Suspended from 2019 Tourney

Post by 1987chieftains »

OUCH

AT THE RESERVATION
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

All they had to do was follow the rules. Really isn't that difficult.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

YEP. Its too easy.

AT THE RESERVATION
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

So they were arguing about something that happened on January 10th JV game? Wouldnt Dunbar just take the two games as L’s and ohsaa be done with it.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I can understand Dunbar being suspended from the 2019 tournament but does OHSAA have the power to say their legal fees will be paid as well? I don’t really think that is right.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:36 pm I can understand Dunbar being suspended from the 2019 tournament but does OHSAA have the power to say their legal fees will be paid as well? I don’t really think that is right.
Considering Dayton Public Schools was fighting the accusations, in which the OHSAA then had to pay legal fees to defend their argument.... and Dayton Public Schools was completely wrong -- then yes, it's completely justified.

If this case wasn't against the OHSAA and against another business/company/or even individual, they could ask for much more than just their legal fees to be paid... so Dayton Public Schools is actually getting away pretty light here.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Raider6309 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:54 pm So they were arguing about something that happened on January 10th JV game? Wouldnt Dunbar just take the two games as L’s and ohsaa be done with it.
Initially that was the plan, but their entire argument was that "John Doe" wasn't in the altercation.. thus played in the games where players were suspended.

They believed they had proof the individual was already in the hallway when the fight broke out.... And, up until recently, they had enough 'proof' to prove that cause... Just until recently did more evidence leak out (I'm assuming a personal video from a cell phone) that proved Dunbar's argument wasn't true, and thus the penalties came down.

If Dunbar was smart they would have just benched everyone and forfeited a couple games... instead they thought one kid was unfairly punished and thus got caught up in their lie.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:39 am
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:36 pm I can understand Dunbar being suspended from the 2019 tournament but does OHSAA have the power to say their legal fees will be paid as well? I don’t really think that is right.
Considering Dayton Public Schools was fighting the accusations, in which the OHSAA then had to pay legal fees to defend their argument.... and Dayton Public Schools was completely wrong -- then yes, it's completely justified.

If this case wasn't against the OHSAA and against another business/company/or even individual, they could ask for much more than just their legal fees to be paid... so Dayton Public Schools is actually getting away pretty light here.
My statement was about the fact that the judge did not order Dunbar to pay the OHSAA’s legal fees. The OHSAA decided on their own that Dunbar would pay them. That is the part I do not think was right since the judge did not order them to pay. Little too much power for the OHSAA.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

• w
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:31 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:39 am

My statement was about the fact that the judge did not order Dunbar to pay the OHSAA’s legal fees. The OHSAA decided on their own that Dunbar would pay them. That is the part I do not think was right since the judge did not order them to pay. Little too much power for the OHSAA.
Pretty simple, Dayton public schools were confronted with evidenence that their coach and AD lied, and were wrong, they agreed to the punishment and part of that punishment was legal fees. Which is only fair as the legal fees were racked up due to the Dunbar coach and AD lying at trial. The alternative would be to loose their OHSAA sanctioning, and being sued for the damages.

Return to “Boys Basketball”