Wheelersburg's Tanner Holden

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Wheelersburg's Tanner Holden

Post by smurray »

Crab's Brother wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:14 am
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 pm Tanner Holden’s best bet is to go basketball. He is a basketball player that plays football. (Yes ... he is a good receiver) But my understanding is he has always had the dream of playing Division I Basketball.

He will have a greater impact and play more as a basketball player than he will as a football player. In football if you eventually become a major part of than offense, you get 8-10 catches a game. In basketball, if you eventually play you 8-10 touches in the first 5 minutes of a game. It is the nature of the two games.

I wish him good luck and hope he gets the basketball offer he is dreaming up!
6'6" athletic guards with still developing jump shots are a dime a dozen in Division I basketball. 6'6" fast athletic wide receivers who are still learning how to play receiver are game changers in FBS football.

Tanner needs to follow his heart, but having watched him play both quite a bit, I feel like football is his ticket. But that is just my opinion.
What he said.....

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Holden will be more of an impact player as a basketball player than football player. As I said he is a basketball player playing football.

If one person had not called her husband and said this kid is pretty good. This topic would not even be discussed. I hope the best for him. I’m sure his father will give him great advice.

Jay Bruce
Freshman Team

Post by Jay Bruce »

Very good basketball player, but will be a GREAT 6'6" athletic wide receiver on the gridiron at the college level.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

He's a good athlete but is raw at both. He really needs to play against better competiton to develop.

As a basketball player his ball skills are not where they need to be to play the 1, 2, or 3 in major college basketball. He has the tools but playing under the basket against 6-2 centers isn't gonna help him.

As a football player his ceiling may be higher but he isn't playing against competiton that is making him better. He just out athletes the players around here, but at the next level it takes precise route running and speed out of your cuts. He really needs development at that and he isn't gonna get that playing around here.

If he wants to have an impact as a freshman/sophomore at either sport in D1 he needs to prep somewhere or he will probably have to redshirt and maybe not play for 2 to 3 years. Just my opinion.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Westfan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:50 pm He's a good athlete but is raw at both. He really needs to play against better competiton to develop.

As a basketball player his ball skills are not where they need to be to play the 1, 2, or 3 in major college basketball. He has the tools but playing under the basket against 6-2 centers isn't gonna help him.

As a football player his ceiling may be higher but he isn't playing against competiton that is making him better. He just out athletes the players around here, but at the next level it takes precise route running and speed out of your cuts. He really needs development at that and he isn't gonna get that playing around here.

If he wants to have an impact as a freshman/sophomore at either sport in D1 he needs to prep somewhere or he will probably have to redshirt and maybe not play for 2 to 3 years. Just my opinion.
I thought he would have went this year.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:54 pm Holden will be more of an impact player as a basketball player than football player. As I said he is a basketball player playing football.

If one person had not called her husband and said this kid is pretty good. This topic would not even be discussed. I hope the best for him. I’m sure his father will give him great advice.
The conversation would have still come to fruition. It’s my understanding that he’s been contacted by mid tier D1 college football schools for awhile now with one being SEC University of Kentucky. He just happened to play in front of someone who knows something about someone close to Ohio State. He’s not a basketball player or a football player. He’s a unique athlete that has D1 size and speed that can’t be coached. He can develop into either one rather easily. If he wants to have the goal of playing professional, there’s probably a better chance of that in football than basketball, but he has a better chance than most in this area.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Westfan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:50 pm He's a good athlete but is raw at both. He really needs to play against better competiton to develop.

I’m sure there are a lot of local fans, coaches and players that would like to see him anywhere but the burg

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

As I said the Holden kid is a basketball player playing football. This football conversation wouldn’t have been held without the observation of one person.

His ceiling as a basketball player is very high.

Most local fans, coaches and players would like to see him develop his talents at a high level. Not anywhere but the burg 🙄.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:06 am As I said the Holden kid is a basketball player playing football. This football conversation wouldn’t have been held without the observation of one person.

Most local fans, coaches and players would like to see him develop his talents at a high level. Not anywhere but the burg 🙄.
Wasn’t this being talked about before the season?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:06 am As I said the Holden kid is a basketball player playing football. This football conversation wouldn’t have been held without the observation of one person.

Tanner was getting football looks well before Shelly Meyer watched him play. My sources are solid that while UK was watching film on Xander they came back and basically said "Who is #2"?

I just don't agree with "he's a basketball player playing football". I think Tanner is a good basketball player. He's a pretty good ball handler, a decent player in on the glass, and a still developing shooter. I just see no way his ceiling is higher as a basketball player. I think he is an athlete playing both sports. He has spent a lot more time playing hoops, so that tells me if he is equal in both sports now, with more time he will develop more on the football field.

TIGER#27
JV Team

Post by TIGER#27 »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 am

Tanner was getting football looks well before Shelly Meyer watched him play. My sources are solid that while UK was watching film on Xander they came back and basically said "Who is #2"?

I just don't agree with "he's a basketball player playing football". I think Tanner is a good basketball player. He's a pretty good ball handler, a decent player in on the glass, and a still developing shooter. I just see no way his ceiling is higher as a basketball player. I think he is an athlete playing both sports. He has spent a lot more time playing hoops, so that tells me if he is equal in both sports now, with more time he will develop more on the football field.
AMEN!!!
Tanner has the size and athleticism to excel much more at football then basketball. He's pretty good at basketball, but you see 6'5-6'8 guys in D1 in basketball, where in Football most DB's are Max 6'2. Advantage Tanner. I can honestly say, if Tanner devotes his time to football like he does basketball we will see him playing on Saturday's then Sunday's.

Attitude, Effort and Hustle
You control that.
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Put me in the group that Holden's ceiling is higher in football than basketball. I see a mid major-caliber basketball player (nothing wrong with that) and a Power 5-caliber football player who is incredibly raw but will only get better. Don't know if he is tOSU-caliber based on how well Urban recruits, but gotta believe some Big 10 or SEC schools will be offering.

Sort of off-topic, but crab mentioned above about Kentucky looking at Carmichael. What kind of interest/offers are Carmichael getting as far as colleges? I see at least a MAC-caliber linebacker given his size and athleticism.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”