New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

Post by LucasDavenport »

Beginning 5/16 the OHSAA has instituted a new rule that basically states that transfers who enroll under the open enrollment policy will sit out the last half of the season and be ineligible for tournaments

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: New Transfer Rule Psssed. Goes into effect today

Post by danicalifornia »

That's without an exception.

Also happening today, exceptions to the transfer rules are being researched furiously.

mattash
Site Admin

Re: New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

Post by mattash »

So they can only play the first half of the season? Figured it would be the other way around. This same year transfers or just in general?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
E High
All State

Post by E High »

May 16th was the cutoff date under the old rule of just sitting out the 1st half of year. As of today,some may set 2nd half of the year. Many gray areas as we go forward.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Transfers Now Will Only be Eligible the First Half of Season

Post by 4thgoal »

Issue 4 B – Amend Bylaw 4-7-2 – Transfer

Permit a transfer student who does not meet an exception to be eligible insofar as transfer is concerned for all contests ONLY until the first 50% of the maximum allowable regular season contests have been competed in any sport the student played in the 12 months immediately preceding the transfer. Thereafter, the student shall be ineligible for the remainder of the regular season contests AND the OHSAA sponsored tournament in that sport (s).

Passed 450-244, effective date May 16, 2018

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Transfers Now Will Only be Eligible the First Half of Season

Post by greygoose »

Coaches can come and go, change schools. Just like college the student athletes are the ones that seem to have the rules and stipulations put down on them. If you're going to install these types of rules they need to have a waive form that if both schools agree to a students transfer and sign off then that student athlete should be eligible immediately.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Good for the OHSAA! This, along with competitive balance being instituted, are two gigantic steps in the right direction.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Think this will slow the number of kids transferring? Or will they just find other loopholes and still do it? I like the rule, if a kid knows he can only play the first half of the season, he may think twice about leaving.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Private schools must have lobbied for this one. Didn’t get enough private championship games.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm Private schools must have lobbied for this one. Didn’t get enough private championship games.

Couldn't agree more!!

Once again they slap the public schools and do NOTHING in regards to private schools. They can still bring in players at will

What a COS!!!!!

ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

It's a double edged sword for sure. But kids changing schools like they do underwear is getting out of hand. Don't like what the Coach said, change school. Getting beat for a position, change school. I can't be the only one who knows a public school everyone flocks to? Kudos to that school for having that kind of program. Doesn't make it right as the other school is left trying to keep numbers to keep the program alive.

WellstonLover
Riding the Bench

Post by WellstonLover »

Boy, this will hurt Jackson bad.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

I just don’t understand the issue with parents putting their kids where they think is the best fit. For whatever the reason. There’s a limited time and opportunity to enjoy the experience, why force people into the wrong environment?

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

First and foremost you should be in high school for the academics. Athletics shouldn’t determine where you go To high school. Here’s a life lesson, play the hand you’re dealt and enjoy playing sports with your buddies

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

enigmaax wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 am I just don’t understand the issue with parents putting their kids where they think is the best fit. For whatever the reason. There’s a limited time and opportunity to enjoy the experience, why force people into the wrong environment?

Simple. Pride. When I was in high school, you were proud of where you were from regardless of the situation. You bled your schools colors and did everything you could for YOUR home. You didn't up and leave just because it made things easier. Anyone who transfers without a legitimate reason to do so, I have no respect for. Period.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Super trooper wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am First and foremost you should be in high school for the academics. Athletics shouldn’t determine where you go To high school. Here’s a life lesson, play the hand you’re dealt and enjoy playing sports with your buddies
That is a stupid life lesson. If you are born into poverty, should you not aspire for anything more? As an adult, do people ever take new jobs for more money or because they didn’t like their boss or just because they want to do something different?

If YOUR priority is as singular as “I was born here so I have to stay here,” more power to you. Life is waaaaay more complex than to say any major decision, including where to be educated, must be determined by one single factor. Academics is just one piece of the school/life experience and it is not always a non-factor, even in cases where sports are the primary factor.

So you can keep your priorities, but I haven’t heard a good reason why anyone else should get to dictate mine (or others, as it were).

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Dundas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am
enigmaax wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 am I just don’t understand the issue with parents putting their kids where they think is the best fit. For whatever the reason. There’s a limited time and opportunity to enjoy the experience, why force people into the wrong environment?

Simple. Pride. When I was in high school, you were proud of where you were from regardless of the situation. You bled your schools colors and did everything you could for YOUR home. You didn't up and leave just because it made things easier. Anyone who transfers without a legitimate reason to do so, I have no respect for. Period.
I don’t really get blind loyalty, I guess. I mean, I have been in situations where it just wasn’t the right fit for me. Have you? Who does it benefit to stay in those situations?

Who are you to determine what someone else’s legitimate reason is? There’s only one person looking out for your happiness. Why would you expect anyone else to give a crap about your “respect” in exchange for their own happiness?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I hear all the time, its my decision where I want to send my kid to play a sport, can someone give examples of what could be happening to there child that would make them move them into another district? Having been around coaches for nearly all of my life, 48 years, I cant remember a single time where I thought, man, if i were their parent, I would take my kid somewhere else.

A lot seem to believe that transferring is best fit for a chance at a college scholarship, anyone care to guess what the odds are for kids in our area to receive any money to play at the college level?

Athletics were created as an extra curricular for students, however, it seems to be the biggest factor in transferring today!

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

What about kids that get kicked off the team at one school, but are able to transfer to another school where they are allowed to play? Missing the first half of the season isn't much of a punishment. At least this will force them to miss the most important part of the season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”