New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: New Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

Post by 4thgoal »

I think this rule change will decrease the amount of upper classmen transferring without qualifying for one of the exceptions. It will also make coaches approach these transfers who were willing to sit the first half of the season differently. The new rule won't allow coaches to let these potentially better players work themselves into a starting lineup in the latter part of the season and be a part of the tournament team. Would a coach be willing to let a transfer play early season only to have to replace him in the lineup mid-season? My guess is no.

Also, all the talk about D1 offers and such.....how many athletes get D1 offers because of how they perform on their HS team? In reality, D1 offers for the most part from playing AAU, club, travel teams, etc. Aside from football, I would guess at least 80% of those offers come outside of OHSAA competition.

vladimir
S

Re: Transfers Now Will Only be Eligible the First Half of Season

Post by vladimir »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm Private schools must have lobbied for this one. Didn’t get enough private championship games.

Couldn't agree more!!

Once again they slap the public schools and do NOTHING in regards to private schools. They can still bring in players at will

What a COS!!!!!
How exactly is this a “slap” to the public schools?
If you notice, it's all the W'burg fans who seem to have the biggest problem with this rule change, so what does that tell ya?

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

the people complaining are probably parents with soon to be seniors. if you transfer as a new freshman there is no penalty so what is all the complaining about? If its the wrong "fit" you probably know that before they are in HS.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Fonzie - You make a couple good points.

Regarding the “kicked off one team” scenario, I just feel like that is the parent’s lesson to teach or not. It doesn’t have to be governed. I personally wouldn’t make that decision for my kid, but I’m not comfortable judging someone else’s circumstances. If the kid is, in fact, a problem, the potential new school has the ability to accept the risk of the headache. If it really is a bad kid, they’ll either get burned OR perhaps the new situation is the second chance someone needs. My point, all situations aren’t the same and blanket rules are just lazy ways to govern something that would work itself put on a local level anyway.

Regarding the “D1” point, I do understand the other poster’s point; however, I believe that is an exaggerated point of view. I’m sure it exists in some places, but in MY experience, it isn’t a prevailing factor. I’ve seen situations where kids/parents thought transferring would help their college options and it wasn’t always an inflated view. There are several levels below D1 and for a lot of kids, playing D2, D3, etc. IS viable. I am sure there are some who think their kid is greater than he/she actually is, but from what I’ve seen, that D1 fantasy is just not a real thing (predominantly) nor is it a real motivator. When a parent says, “I want to go somewhere that he will play more,” it doesn’t mean he is saying,”...so he can go pro.”

4th & Goal - I agree with your last paragraph, which is a big reason why I just don’t believe that is a reasonable assessment of why people transfer.
Last edited by enigmaax on Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

goUK wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am the people complaining are probably parents with soon to be seniors. if you transfer as a new freshman there is no penalty so what is all the complaining about? If its the wrong "fit" you probably know that before they are in HS.
Things change. Coaches change. Sometimes a situation seems good until you get into it.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

goUK wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am the people complaining are probably parents with soon to be seniors. if you transfer as a new freshman there is no penalty so what is all the complaining about? If its the wrong "fit" you probably know that before they are in HS.
Yeah, all the people that lobbied against this all have kids in high school. LOL, wow. That's like me saying everyone for it is because they've got kids in high school who have lost out on playing time to transfers. Which if you think about it is probably more of a truth than anything. I'm totally against if for a few reasons, and I don't have any kids in high school. I've stated all my reasons but it boils down to there is already a rule in place with competitive balance that counts against the school. So now we setup another rule essentially doubling down on transfers.

Again it's southern ohio, to think these kids are transferring to other schools because they think it will help them get a DI scholarship is nonsense. It's simply just not some huge problem to where we hear of these kids transferring in this area that just change the landscape of a team. It's an amazing thing when these kids play sports they want to you know, play. If they want to leave because they don't like the school or their surroundings or other schools offer the better education then that's fine. Most schools are so financially strapped that schools in the southern ohio area have different levels in terms of quality of education. Just because they leave a school means nothing in terms of gaining playing time, they still have to work for it and earn it. The fact is everyone has stated their opinions as to why this rule is nonsense. Reality is those for it what is your reason??? Does it hurt anyone?? If you're just a fan then it effects you none.
Last edited by greygoose on Sat May 26, 2018 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TheNest20 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 am
Dundas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am
enigmaax wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 am I just don’t understand the issue with parents putting their kids where they think is the best fit. For whatever the reason. There’s a limited time and opportunity to enjoy the experience, why force people into the wrong environment?

Simple. Pride. When I was in high school, you were proud of where you were from regardless of the situation. You bled your schools colors and did everything you could for YOUR home. You didn't up and leave just because it made things easier. Anyone who transfers without a legitimate reason to do so, I have no respect for. Period.

Couldn't agree more
Is it 1970 still, :lol: Those days have been gone for A LONG time now. I know the older generation doesn't understand that

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Good move by the OHSAA which will certainly have an effect on transferring. It makes one wonder why this rule wasn't structured this way in the first place.

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

greygoose wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 pm
TheNest20 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 am
Dundas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:10 am

Simple. Pride. When I was in high school, you were proud of where you were from regardless of the situation. You bled your schools colors and did everything you could for YOUR home. You didn't up and leave just because it made things easier. Anyone who transfers without a legitimate reason to do so, I have no respect for. Period.

Couldn't agree more
Is it 1970 still, :lol: Those days have been gone for A LONG time now. I know the older generation doesn't understand that
I am not an old timer, but i will agree that the lack of school pride is a problem in todays society. Kids do not take pride in anything other than "looking cool".

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: NeRw Transfer Rule Passed. Goes into effect 5/16/18

Post by Omega »

Super trooper wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am First and foremost you should be in high school for the academics. Athletics shouldn’t determine where you go To high school. Here’s a life lesson, play the hand you’re dealt and enjoy playing sports with your buddies
Excellent response !

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

The Donald loves this rule!!!!!!!The holdback and transfer epidemic was getting out of hand.....90% percent of this was over sports and everyone knows it.....Building travel teams....This is High School not College....The liberals keep saying it takes a village to raise your kid! lol...Well it finally took the OHSSA to step in and stop this nonsense...So to Ohio High School sports fans: "IT TAKES OHSSA TO RAISE YOUR KIDS"!

"I'M THE DONALD AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

We have a place for politics... Use it please.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am Good for the OHSAA! This, along with competitive balance being instituted, are two gigantic steps in the right direction.
Amen

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

osumufan wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 am
AIM wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 am Why would private schools have lobbied for this? Transfer/sitting out rules apply to them as well.

How about everyone on here get real!!!! There are a few kids who transfer for bad situations/not right fit; but PRIMARILY it is because everyone thinks their kid is the star! their kid deserves a D1 scholarship and their only going to get it by going to blank school. How many kids do all of you see who have not transferred once, but twice because of playing time, differences with coaches, coaching changes?
You are treating these HIGH SCHOOL athletes as professional free agents, come on.
The mentality that they are only kids once and they should get to do what they want, what is fun and easy and blah, blah, blah is exactly what is wrong with the "entitlement society" today! That is NOT preparing kids for a job they hate but can't quit because they have to pay the bills, or having to live in a house they don't care for because it is not selling. Go ahead and coddle these kids and go out of your way to make sure they have all their hearts desire and I can assure you, you will be bailing them out and supporting them for years to come when things don't go their way in the REAL world.
This is SPOT ON! Best post I've seem in a while
Now that's hitting the nail right on the head...

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am Good for the OHSAA! This, along with competitive balance being instituted, are two gigantic steps in the right direction.
Now they need to do something about the public and private schools. Private schools have no business playing public schools in the playoffs

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

wobycat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:32 pm Private schools must have lobbied for this one. Didn’t get enough private championship games.

Couldn't agree more!!

Once again they slap the public schools and do NOTHING in regards to private schools. They can still bring in players at will

What a COS!!!!!
How is it not. A private school can recruit with no punishment. Yet if a kid transfers from a school to a different school they get penalized. That to me is a slap in the face

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

People will try and get around the penalty if possible . A couple questions #1 if a player has a relative in the transfer school district and they use that as the residence how or will that be checked out by OHSAA . #2 Say a player lives in one school district but their parent ownes a small pc of land with no physical address in another is the transfer allowed without penalty ? Now will the OHSAA realize the injustice in D1 In Basketball , Baseball, Softball ,Track and Field and some of the others. To much spread on enrollment in D1.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 pm People will try and get around the penalty if possible . A couple questions #1 if a player has a relative in the transfer school district and they use that as the residence how or will that be checked out by OHSAA . #2 Say a player lives in one school district but their parent ownes a small pc of land with no physical address in another is the transfer allowed without penalty ? Now will the OHSAA realize the injustice in D1 In Basketball , Baseball, Softball ,Track and Field and some of the others. To much spread on enrollment in D1.
It has to be a valid address with Utilities in the parent/gaurdians name.
If a student moves in with a relative, just cause is supposed to be shown and that gaurdian has to go through the process of getting physical custody.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:55 am

Couldn't agree more!!

What a COS!!!!!
How is it not. A private school can recruit with no punishment. Yet if a kid transfers from a school to a different school they get penalized. That to me is a slap in the face
What are you talking about? Recruiting under athletic pretenses is illegal for all schools.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 am
Now they need to do something about the public and private schools. Private schools have no business playing public schools in the playoffs
Agree
However, nothing will change cause the privates have the $ and control OHSAA

Return to “Boys Basketball”