Rio shootout this Friday

Basketballnut18
Waterboy

Rio shootout this Friday

Post by Basketballnut18 »

Who all is going to the Rio shootout this Friday? What kind of teams are expected to be there?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Rio shootout this Friday

Post by Ironman92 »

Southern
Sissonville
New Boston
Trimble
Boyd Co
Miller
South Gallia
St Mary’s
Last edited by Ironman92 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basketballnut18
Waterboy

Thanks Ironman92

Basketballnut18
Waterboy

Wouldn't happen to know the schedule for the day would you ironman

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Curious about those teams (Ohio) only sending their JV. Are their varsity teams playing in shootouts somewhere else on the same day? Seems odd to use 1 of the 10 instructional days on JV only.

Post by Ironman92 »

Basketballnut18 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:50 am Wouldn't happen to know the schedule for the day would you ironman
Don’t know how to send on here

Basketballnut18
Waterboy

Thanks Just have to go watch all day

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

How did everyone look at Rio today ?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:42 pm How did everyone look at Rio today ?
Looked like summer. A lot of young new varsity kids.

One funny. Rio players were the refs and some better than others. During the Trimble/New Boston game one ref hadn’t called anything all game and then calls a foul on Trimble kid on a 3 at the buzzer. Lol there wasn’t any foul at all but kid got 3 shots and made 1 to win. Howie wasn’t impressed :D

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Summer basketball and shootouts are becoming a joke. Too many kids in football and baseball for the summer. It is what it is , but hurts many in the winter.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

E High wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:09 am Summer basketball and shootouts are becoming a joke. Too many kids in football and baseball for the summer. It is what it is , but hurts many in the winter.
Huh?

If they are doing something football or baseball or their other sports...I have zero issue. We have kids that miss most all basketball stuff but are doing football things...baseball takes up some as well. To me, it’s summer, it’s all good. I have a kid going to every weight lifting, conditioning, open gym shootout that basketball has....and trying to prep for the fall cross country season by running a lot every evening. It’s a fine line between working hard and just too darn much. I really appreciate the coaches that aren’t completely selfish to their sport. It’s not the forte for many coaches but their efforts to be more flexible for the kids is appreciated.

I know I went off on a tangent and I apologize but most kids don’t play one sport and every sport you play you need to improve on in the summer. It does water down basketball teams in June and summer league results often aren’t very telling for what will happen in the same matchups during basketball season....but a good coach and program can get a lot out of the shootouts and leagues if they so desire.

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Post by Preacher Purl »

Took one team to Rio and would NEVER go back. Players/Officials were checking phones and eating as they were officiating. I understand they're college kids, but it was embarrasing.

Basketballnut18
Waterboy

I agree with Ironman summer basketball does seem to get a bit “watered down” but a good coach will be able to tell what he has to look forward to in the regular season. As for The referring I have seen much worse and didn’t notice anyone eating or looking at their phones during games.

sportsnation
Waterboy

Post by sportsnation »

i attended a couple hours and it was nice to see some action, but i got to agree why would any high school coach take his teams to this shootout. i know regular season officiating is not very good but its a lot better then college kids officiating the game while playing on there cell phones

Return to “Boys Basketball”