South Webster Jeeps

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Re: South Webster Jeeps

Post by Mash Potato »

I can’t see the musical being the reason why SW is so successful with their academics as music has nothing to do with testing. Same with basketball. I’d assume that basketball is the $$ maker that benefits the school and other athletic programs there.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Mash Potato wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 pm I can’t see the musical being the reason why SW is so successful with their academics as music has nothing to do with testing. Same with basketball. I’d assume that basketball is the $$ maker that benefits the school and other athletic programs there.
Those in the arts definitely perform better as a whole than those that don’t.

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Post by Mash Potato »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:50 pm
Mash Potato wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:43 pm I can’t see the musical being the reason why SW is so successful with their academics as music has nothing to do with testing. Same with basketball. I’d assume that basketball is the $$ maker that benefits the school and other athletic programs there.
Ohh.... okay

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Mash Potato wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:58 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:50 pm
Ohh.... okay
I’m not involved in music or the arts....but those kids are so on average score higher on state tests. Maybe it’s the type of kid maybe it’s the fact they are in them, I don’t know...but they definitely test better on average than those not in the arts.

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Post by Mash Potato »

So we’re saying that if there was no musical, the test scores would be bad??

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

No....just marginally lower. Music and the arts tend to slightly raise the overall test scores. Just a small piece I’m sure.

Not sure though why you’d listen to me...I was never in musicals, therefore not smart enough to even comment :D

Good Luck to the Jeeps this season...on and off the court

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Post by Mash Potato »

Same here! That’s why I’m on here

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I think we all understand that kids who are 'in the arts' have a generally high test score average compared to kids who don't participate in anything.

However, kids who participate in athletics typically have higher overall test scores compared to kids who don't participate in anything either.

So the point being made is moot.

South Webster is a great place for a TON of reasons, but it's common knowledge that there's been battles between the musical and athletics for several years now. Doesn't mean either is right or wrong, but it's definitely been prevalent.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

jeepmadness wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:08 pm If Holstein is playing this year, I see him being in the starting lineup. He played very physical this season in Soccer. That is exactly what they will need. He would have seen valuable varsity minutes last year if he would have played.
jeepmadness: any word if Holstein is playing or if any other new kids out this year?*

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

The musical debate is definitely irritating for any sports fans. It's not that sports fans/coaches don't like the musical or don't want kids in it or none of that, it's just very clear that the musical takes extreme precedence over sports/basketball in particular. From shortened practices during 'production week' to scrimmages forcefully being moved during production weekend, it can get a little ridiculous at times. This time of year it's always brought up because you see kids 10 minutes down the road at Wheelersburg competing for a state title in football, smacking other teams and sending a message about how tough they are, and then Webster folk are out here debating this kind of stuff. It's a weird thing to see such differences in behavior / support from two schools only miles from each other. Unfortunately, and trust me it pains me to say this, many people understand why SEVERAL athletes from South Webster end up at Burg every year.

We've now lost two of the better young coaches around here due to this and mainly some of the politics brewing in this town. One is at Wheelersburg beating us twice a year (most years) and I'm assuming the other will be sought after and have another head coaching job as soon as next season. It hurt enough to watch one former coach beat us, I really don't want to see another. And I DEFINITELY don't want to see any more Webster kids enrolled elsewhere, but I'm very fearful that's what we're going to see.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:54 am
jeepmadness wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:08 pm If Holstein is playing this year, I see him being in the starting lineup. He played very physical this season in Soccer. That is exactly what they will need. He would have seen valuable varsity minutes last year if he would have played.
jeepmadness: any word if Holstein is playing or if any other new kids out this year?*
Holstein is playing. There were a few kids on the ropes that look to be playing. Walked into the school the other day and the gym was packed. It was a good sign.

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!
jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

JEEPNATION wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am The musical debate is definitely irritating for any sports fans. It's not that sports fans/coaches don't like the musical or don't want kids in it or none of that, it's just very clear that the musical takes extreme precedence over sports/basketball in particular. From shortened practices during 'production week' to scrimmages forcefully being moved during production weekend, it can get a little ridiculous at times. This time of year it's always brought up because you see kids 10 minutes down the road at Wheelersburg competing for a state title in football, smacking other teams and sending a message about how tough they are, and then Webster folk are out here debating this kind of stuff. It's a weird thing to see such differences in behavior / support from two schools only miles from each other. Unfortunately, and trust me it pains me to say this, many people understand why SEVERAL athletes from South Webster end up at Burg every year.

We've now lost two of the better young coaches around here due to this and mainly some of the politics brewing in this town. One is at Wheelersburg beating us twice a year (most years) and I'm assuming the other will be sought after and have another head coaching job as soon as next season. It hurt enough to watch one former coach beat us, I really don't want to see another. And I DEFINITELY don't want to see any more Webster kids enrolled elsewhere, but I'm very fearful that's what we're going to see.
I don’t think the musical is running kids off jeepnation. Actually the support of the community over the weekend for the musical says the opposite of what you are saying. Coach Cole was involved in every extracurricular activity imaginable when he was in school at Webster. He knows the importance of having these kids involved in all they can. As far as winning state titles. You can talk to any coach who knows the business. It takes several special kids to get to that level. Notice the state teams the past few years. Freak athletes on these teams. It isn’t possible to maintain that type of success year in and year out in a small community. It will hit in spurts. Burg suffers from the same thing.
As far as loosing coaches I will give you Fenton. Burg can have ater. He was a short timer for sure anyway. I predicted his leave as soon as he got the job. The only real people that really want to stay and support Webster are Webster people.

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Post by Mash Potato »

Wasn't Ater the coach when they basically had to beg for support for their Regional Final game? How does that happen? I know he ruffled some feathers, but, 2 District Titles and an Elite 8 appearance as SW Coach and couldn't get support? Is that an Ater problem or is that where the community now stands with the Boys Basketball program?

Just curious because I could see either one holding truth..

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Mash potato: yep, Ater was the coach that year (2013). District Final game against Leesburg Fairfield at the Convo that year and there were maybe 5 students from Webster in the "student section."*

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm Mash potato: yep, Ater was the coach that year (2013). District Final game against Leesburg Fairfield at the Convo that year and there were maybe 5 students from Webster in the "student section."*
I do recall that as well, but I think the blame can be spread out on that one. While the lack of support was evident, Mr. Ater wasn't exactly the social butterfly to say the least. He tended to create more enemies than friends during his time here, a true divider so to speak. Not saying he's fully to blame, but he's one that didn't help his cause either.

Nonetheless, I've been watching the Jeeps play for nearly 30 years now. It's a great program and school, it really is. Times have changed out this direction I will admit that, but it's still a great place to raise your kids.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Right now jeep basketball is in a good place. Long athletic kids. Some good classes coming. Youth program is looking solid too. Hit a rocky patch but everyone seems to be on same page right now.

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

A good chance to get back to the Convo this year. Really all that matters

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Anybody seen/heard how the Jeeps are looking in scrimmages? Likewise, any idea on a roster yet? Haven't heard anything official, but gotta assume the Burg game will be rescheduled leaving the Jeeps to open up with Waverly on 12/8.*

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Mr Vandelay: Hope the Architecture business is treating you well.

The boys have played well and handled themselves fine in this weird November that saw them go to the previews (27-10 win over Symmes Valley) before ever having played a scrimmage.

They competed and were even with Coal Grove in a possible D4 District Tilt preview on Saturday and then had favorable quarters vs Rock Hill on Tuesday.

The Jeeps are on schedule to be ready for their first game which isn’t until Tuesday 12/5 only to have to wait to open with Waverly on Friday the 8th. This isn’t a problem for a group that gets along well and is working to get to the Convo — which is a build towards Late February endeavor.

Two things I have heard from the Coaching Staff—- this is a very smart group and they haven’t coached effort yet.

The Junior group are very good leaders. Lead by Example. The Best player on the court most every night will be in a Jeep Uniform and he is humble and coachable just like everyone else. This group will be easy to root for.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

lucas: architecture work has been slow, but importing/exporting at Vandelay Industries has been booming! Thanks for the update on the Jeeps. Agreed about the Jeeps having the best player on the court most nights and still think that the supporting cast will be better than most believe. Coal Grove is a good gauge for this team as they should be one of the best D4 teams in the District. If Webster can play with them, they should compete well with the majority of their schedule and in D4 tourney.*

Return to “Boys Basketball”