Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2018-19

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2018-19

Post by pfloyd »

2. Gallia Academy : the Blue Devils will showcase 7-1 (11) Zach Loveday ... the key word to describe Loveday is "potential" - the true big for GAHS has the potential to control every game he plays at both ends of the court ... IF Gallia has the offense "go through" Mr. Loveday in the paint on each possession he has the potential to put up 15-20 points per game ... Loveday HAS shown the ability to knockdown the three ball ... on the defensive end Loveday has the potential to force opponents out of the paint, change shots taken IN the paint, with Loveday IN the paint the GAHS perimeter defense can take chances with Loveday as the backstop IN the paint ... with Loveday getting touches IN the paint it should open up the perimeter for the rest of the Gallia Academy lineup ... GAHS returns experience from last year - Justin McClelland (6-1) sr, (5-11) Caleb Henry sr. , (6-1) sr. Cory Call, (6-1) jr. Logan Blouir , (6-2) Blaine Carter sr. ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

3. Sheridan : The Generals have their sights set on a return trip to the Convo - with the returnees from last years SHS squad - start the buses ... led by the floor general PG/QB Ethan Heller (6-0) sr. the lefty can distribute the ball, knock down the 3 and play D " a coach on the floor" ... Sheridan brings to the court the most size in the SE District no matter the division - (6-4) Luken Hill (jr) , (6-7) Grant Heileman (sr), (6-8) Amere Royster sr., (6-8) Michael Jordan sr., (6-1) Landon Russell soph. ... add to the mix an undefeated JV squad that had size and quality talent as well ... Sheridan will be a tough out in the post season ...

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:25 pm 1. Logan : the Purple Chieftains brings years of varsity experience into the 2018-19 campaign with this season lineup ... arguably the best player in the Southeast District Bo Myers (6-5) a perimeter treat from anywhere on the court ... with Logan's lack of overall/experienced size Myers will need to be a threat in the paint as well ... running mates with 3 years of varsity experience under their belts Coby and Caleb Bell both seniors, both perimeter threats, both can get to the rim, both play outstanding D ... more offense will need to come from Wes Brooks & Landon Little both saw lots of varsity action (Brooks as starter/Little off the bench) neither looked to score last season/both have the potential to hit the 3 ball ... last years 6th man Layton Cassady was instant offense from behind the 3 point line ... if Logan goes with experience fans will be looking at "small ball" - tough man D, push the ball, spotting up on the perimeter for the 3 ball ... Logan averaged around 20 triples per outing last season , with the small ball lineup look for the Chiefs to rain 3's at a 24+ per game clip this winter ...
Pfloyd...did you mean Logan attempted around 20 triples per game last season?

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

I think Green will finish in the top 20. Been to there open gym and they look pretty good.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Picket Fence wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:17 am
pfloyd wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:25 pm 1. Logan : the Purple Chieftains brings years of varsity experience into the 2018-19 campaign with this season lineup ... arguably the best player in the Southeast District Bo Myers (6-5) a perimeter treat from anywhere on the court ... with Logan's lack of overall/experienced size Myers will need to be a threat in the paint as well ... running mates with 3 years of varsity experience under their belts Coby and Caleb Bell both seniors, both perimeter threats, both can get to the rim, both play outstanding D ... more offense will need to come from Wes Brooks & Landon Little both saw lots of varsity action (Brooks as starter/Little off the bench) neither looked to score last season/both have the potential to hit the 3 ball ... last years 6th man Layton Cassady was instant offense from behind the 3 point line ... if Logan goes with experience fans will be looking at "small ball" - tough man D, push the ball, spotting up on the perimeter for the 3 ball ... Logan averaged around 20 triples per outing last season , with the small ball lineup look for the Chiefs to rain 3's at a 24+ per game clip this winter ...
Pfloyd...did you mean Logan attempted around 20 triples per game last season?

Picket Fence - that's what I thought I posted "Logan averaged around 20 triples per outing last season , with the small ball lineup look for the Chiefs to rain 3's at a 24+ per game clip this winter ..." ... I don't have the EXACT napkin stat but I looked at the 10-11 games that I took napkin stats for and at a glance (I didn't take a calculator and find the average) it looked like between 18-20 or so was about right ... last season the Chiefs HAD a "BIG inside with Caiden Landis (6-7) ... in my little mind I see the "small ball Purple" pushing, penetrating and dishing to the perimeter with the talented perimeter shooters they have "AT ALL 5 POSITIONS" ... will they and can they get inside -absolutely ! the Chiefs HAVE some INEXPERIENCED size (6-4 junior Charlie Kline who is a "motor stuck in overdrive" as he just gets after it in the paint /quick off the floor on the boards AND fits into being able to get out & run the floor ... to 6-6 or 6-7 more inexperienced even at the JV level ) ... IF you are in the halls at LHS there ARE a couple of 6-8 strong bodied kids both played hoops as freshmen but not since then - Sam Hall (12) and Jakob Kline (12) both concentrated on other sports FB & Baseball respectively ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

mattash wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:46 am I think Green will finish in the top 20. Been to there open gym and they look pretty good.
... I AGREE mattash ! you're right on the money as the Bobcats reached the Convo (beating Trimble 68-66 in the district semi) ... Coach Hollar's squad returns EVERYONE but graduating senior Rylee Maynard ... so we will Tayte Carver (30 points vs Trimble at the Convo), Tanner Kimbler (19 points vs Trimble ) , Gage Sampson (6-1) jr. added 9 pts vs Trimble & (5-11) Zach Huffman (sr) (7 pts vs Trimble) ... Caden Blizzard (5-11 sr) & Ethan Huffman (5-11 soph) both saw action at the Convo in district play in a tight game vs Trimble in a winning effort ... lots of returning experience for the Bobcats - not a lot of size coming back from last years district team BUT EXPERIENCE IS A DIFFERENCE MAKER ... I have Green starting the season at their highest ranking in the pre-season ever (#36) with opportunities to move up with wins over New Boston,Eastern Pike, South Webster ... the Bobcats can make a statement this season backing up their post season run from last year during Basketball 30 at the Convo ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

4. Chillicothe ... Coach Huffer has some holes to fill by the graduation of Branden Maughmer, Will & Simon Roderick, Jalen Jordan, Jason Benson BUT as luck would have it who else should have the opportunity to fill the shoes of B. Maughmer => Maughmer the Younger - Jayvon Maughmer (6-5) jr. outstanding at both ends of the floor, smooth with the rock, can get to the rim and hit the 3 ball ... joining the 6-5 Maughmer will be 2nd year Cavs post player (6-8) Brandon Noel ... BN understands his role being a duel threat BIG at 6-8 and a smooth touch from downtown ... The Cavs will need a floor general - a PG who takes away the pressure due to his ball handling, a PG who can find and distribute the ball to open teammates, a PG who is a perimeter threat to burn you if you back off and try to help on D ... Coach Huffer has ordered up just such a PG in 5-7 Tre Beard (jr) - he fits the bill to bring ALL of the pieces together for the Cavs ... I watched this years junior Cavs group when they were all together as freshmen - simply outstanding as a TEAM ... last year they were split between JV & varsity ... for the 2018-19 campaign THAT freshmen group is now reunited as TEAM this time on the Cavs Varsity ... the graduating class of 2020 IS special ! adding 6-8 (sr) Noel to anchor the post as duel threat player ... I like the Cavs at #4 to start the season - they get tested right from the git go at Zanesville vs Granville, followed by either Zanesville or Maysville ... the Cavs play Logan twice ( at Logan on 12/15) Jackson 2 times in FAC play, a much improved Washington CH squad 2 times, Warren to end the season ... Coach Huffer & his staff have put together a great schedule to test his Cavs throughout the season ...

Moose2175
Waterboy

Post by Moose2175 »

so im gonna disagree with this so loveday hype...and reason being ive been around this kid since he was born and know him very well...his biggest downfall is transition..a team who loves to play that style of ball will expose that achilles heal...that being said i still gallia academy doin very well this year!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

5. Jackson ... not since the coaching days of Dustin Ford has the Hardwood Ironmen been ranked in the Elite 8 - it is no surprise that JHS basketball is on the rise under the leadership of Coach Morrow (who played for none other than ... you guessed it Coach Ford) ... Coach Morrow has been able to KEEP the Jackson BB talent AT JHS - a good start as the likes of Landon Carroll & his brother Nolan (Oak Hill), Logan Swackhammer (Unioto) all left the APple City to play for other outstanding coaches (Coach Norm Persin (OHHS) and Coach Matt Hoops (UHS) ... when kids STAY at home, play within a program that is going to be around for awhile it develops the consistency needed to show results at the BIG BOY part of a PROGRAM - the Varsity- when W's count ... Coach Morrow returns tons of talent - one of the top players in all of SEOhio in Cooper Donaldson sr. (6-3) , (jr) 5-6 PG Caleb Wallis, Braxton Hammond (6-3) soph, (6-5) soph Treylan Davis, (6-2) Caden Donaldson soph , couple of seniors (6-1) Matt Humphreys & (6-3) TJ Byrd ... add to the squad freshman highlight film impact players (6-1) Drew Bragg / Evan Spires ... 5-11 transfer from VC Nevan Yates can add "it" to a very talented Ironmen TEAM ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm 5. Jackson ... not since the coaching days of Dustin Ford has the Hardwood Ironmen been ranked in the Elite 8 - it is no surprise that JHS basketball is on the rise under the leadership of Coach Morrow (who played for none other than ... you guessed it Coach Ford) ... Coach Morrow has been able to KEEP the Jackson BB talent AT JHS - a good start as the likes of Landon Carroll & his brother Nolan (Oak Hill), Logan Swackhammer (Unioto) all left the APple City to play for other outstanding coaches (Coach Norm Persin (OHHS) and Coach Matt Hoops (UHS) ... when kids STAY at home, play within a program that is going to be around for awhile it develops the consistency needed to show results at the BIG BOY part of a PROGRAM - the Varsity- when W's count ... Coach Morrow returns tons of talent - one of the top players in all of SEOhio in Cooper Donaldson sr. (6-3) , (jr) 5-6 PG Caleb Willis, Braxton Hammond (6-3) soph, (6-5) soph Treylan Davis, (6-2) Caden Donaldson soph , couple of seniors (6-1) Matt Humphreys & (6-3) TJ Byrd ... add to the squad freshman highlight film impact players (6-1) Drew Bragg / Evan Spires ... 5-11 transfer from VC Nevan Yates can add "it" to a very talented Ironmen TEAM ...
Caleb Wallis

Bragg May be out a large portion of the season. Sure hope the kid gets back soon but such an unlucky injury and being cautious as they should.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

6. Warren Local : The Warren Warriors , Coach Maddox, Coach Coffman, Coach Mitchem, Coach Colegrove, Coach Padgett = The Warren Program ... the BBB never seems to rebuild , they ALWAYS seem to have the talent to go with the unparalleled coaching ... IF you know anything about Warren Basketball you know that the coaching staff from middle school hoops up through the varsity has been together (with a few pieces moving on) for the entire length of Coach Maddox's head coaching tenure - consistency as to WHAT is being taught has turned into the consistency of "W's" on the court ... the 2018-19 campaign will have WHS moving forward - not just getting TO the Convo but with the chance to pickup a District Championship ... the BBB (Big Bad Blue) will have court leadership with returning seniors : Clay Miller (6-4) , Bryce Knost (5-11), Noah Nichols (6-0), Gabe Venham (5-10) ... size up front with Miller (6-4), Joel Chevalier (6-3), youngsters at the junior ranks (6-5) Dylan Pyatt, (6-5) Issac Colegrove , Cole Fairbanks (5-10) jr, soph. Makiah Merritt (6-5), soph (6-5) Jake Bumguard ... guard play with experience Seth Dennis soph (5-10) , (6-3) Josh Welch soph and to the perimeter mix (QB transfer) Brandon Simoniette (6-1) ... Warren plays an outstanding schedule ... the coaching by committee under the leadership of Coach Maddox will have THIS edition very dangerous by the February post season ... Warren ends the season entertaining Parkersburg South Tuesday 2/12 , Friday 2/15 on the road at the Hat(ton) Gymnasium vs #4 Chillicothe, back home to finish the back to back Friday/Saturday vs #1 Logan at the WarriorDome ... THAT'S how you get your TEAM ready for the post season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

7. Wheelersburg : ... the Burg ... the Burg has been the Word since I grew up in Scioto County back in the 60's and early 70's ... the Pirates with a District Championship last season knocking off a very good Piketon team a SE District finale ... WHS will have ALL but Cole Lowry & Mack Dyer BACK from last years edition of the Pirates ... leading all discussions are Tanner Holden (6-6) sr. & JJ Truitt (6-4) soph ... Connor Mullins sr (6-1), Trent Salyers sr. (6-1), Dustin Darnell sr. (5-10) joining this years varsity squad will be (6-4) soph Carter McCorkle with McCorkle getting lots talk up on seops ... Wheelersburg seems to make tournament runs in all sports Football state championships, baseball state championships, not a surprise that tournament tested athletes work their magic on hardwood as well ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

8. Athens : Coach Mickey Cozart's Bulldogs are the odds on favorites to take the TVC Ohio ... the Bulldogs return varsity experienced talent throughout the lineup ... with size in the paint, scoring on the perimeter and players with ability to penetrate to the rim ... throw in the defensive speed, and board strength to go with the potential on the offensive end - look for AHS to make an argument to be a Convo District participant ... AHS is full of seniors with hoops experience at the varsity level - (6-3) Eli Chubb sr., (6-1) Logan Maxfield sr., (6-4) Justin Hynes sr., add to the mix (6-3) Isaiah Butcher jr. and you have talent at both ends, strength in the paint, and quickness (Elijah Williams sr 5-8) on the perimeter to be tough no matter the defensive scheme Coach Cozart decides to go with this season ... Athens had good athletes on the JV squad last season as well, so depth should not be an issue with the Bulldogs in 2018-19 ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... there you have some back ground info on the Elite 8 as we head into the 2018-19 season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I put out what I know from what I have on hand with napkin stats from last season ... please add to it, tell me who is not playing, who IS playing, who are the newcomers who will make a difference at the varsity level ... scrimmages will begin next weekend ! get out and get some "eyes on" your favorite team(s) - tell us all what you see ! who's rebuilding? who's reloading ? ... my wish is for a great 2018-19 regular season ! with the cream of the crop making their way to Athens for the 3 Weeks of the Convo & Basketball 30 with Lou Horvath on the PA running the show ! ... I look forward to making my way all around the SEOhio District this winter to see the Big Dogs in the Elite 8 and many many more of the Treehugger Wannabees Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line, from the mighty Ohio to the South, the Northwest Territories West of Route 33 along the Rte 22 Corridor ... I still have a goal of mine to make it to the Coach Dave Young Classic at North Adams (weather permitting) ... to the Land of the SHAC west of Rte 23 ... so many teams to see so little time really to do it ... I hope to see many of my long time hoops friends in Southern/Southeastern Ohio throughout the season ! as I hope to meet up with many more SEOPs posters & readers ... I'm pretty darn approachable ! old, white beard, bald guy usually wearing shorts, Converse All Stars writing/taking down napkin stats throughout games from the Cheap Seats on the visitors side of the gym ... stop by and introduce yourselves !

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Hope to see you at The Beasts this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:26 pm Hope to see you at The Beasts this year.
... last year the weather didn't cooperate BUT you KNOW the Beasts of the SouthEast get together in January , I believe it is the 12th of Jan. this season ! it is the first tourney I mark on my Hoops Calendar ! you all run a great show for fans & teams alike ... I don't have my annual visit to the James until March 12th or so THAT won't get in my way LOL - I'll try to be nice to Mother Nature so Mrs.Pfloyd & myself can make the trip to Chesapeake ...

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Teams for this season's Beasts. The Peake, Alexander, Coal Grove, Eastern Brown, Fairland, Jackson, Minford, North Adams., Trimble, Waverly.

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:47 pm 8. Athens : Coach Mickey Cozart's Bulldogs are the odds on favorites to take the TVC Ohio ... the Bulldogs return varsity experienced talent throughout the lineup ... with size in the paint, scoring on the perimeter and players with ability to penetrate to the rim ... throw in the defensive speed, and board strength to go with the potential on the offensive end - look for AHS to make an argument to be a Convo District participant ... AHS is full of seniors with hoops experience at the varsity level - (6-3) Eli Chubb sr., (6-1) Logan Maxfield sr., (6-4) Justin Hynes sr., 6-1)Henry Gerig sr., add to the mix (6-3) Isaiah Butcher jr. and you have talent at both ends, strength in the paint, and quickness (Elijah Williams sr 5-8) on the perimeter to be tough no matter the defensive scheme Coach Cozart decides to go with this season ... Athens had good athletes on the JV squad last season as well, so depth should not be an issue with the Bulldogs in 2018-19 ...
Gerig doesn’t play basketball anymore.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I like it ! ... ALL are TEAMS I want to see this season "more than" once - Eastern Brown is one of the top 3 teams in the SHAC this season ... Waverly, Jackson both are either IN the Elite 8 (Jackson) or making a case to be in the Elite 8 (Waverly)... Alexander will be pushing Athens for the TVC Ohio crown this season with good guard play and their own 6-10 post player ... Trimble is my pick to take the TVC Hocking & Howie is one of the best coaches you will find courtside ... Unless I can get down to Fairland for the Big E Classic in early December this will probably the only time I get to see the Dragons & Coach Speed and Coach Evan Salyers ... and then there are my friends from the Peake ! - got to get down to see you and Coach Davis ! the word on the street is The 'Peake will be BACK to where we are used to seeing the Panthers on the hardwood ! good mix of youngin's & size ... a good menu peake71 !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

ShoeHorn wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:52 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:47 pm 8. Athens : Coach Mickey Cozart's Bulldogs are the odds on favorites to take the TVC Ohio ... the Bulldogs return varsity experienced talent throughout the lineup ... with size in the paint, scoring on the perimeter and players with ability to penetrate to the rim ... throw in the defensive speed, and board strength to go with the potential on the offensive end - look for AHS to make an argument to be a Convo District participant ... AHS is full of seniors with hoops experience at the varsity level - (6-3) Eli Chubb sr., (6-1) Logan Maxfield sr., (6-4) Justin Hynes sr., 6-1)Henry Gerig sr., add to the mix (6-3) Isaiah Butcher jr. and you have talent at both ends, strength in the paint, and quickness (Elijah Williams sr 5-8) on the perimeter to be tough no matter the defensive scheme Coach Cozart decides to go with this season ... Athens had good athletes on the JV squad last season as well, so depth should not be an issue with the Bulldogs in 2018-19 ...
Gerig doesn’t play basketball anymore.
... exactly why I post what I have on the teams ... thanks Shoehorn for the info ! I will "subtract" him from my rundown ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”