Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2018-19

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Pre Season 2018-19

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:23 pm :) Good news out of Jackson
I92 !!! wellllllllllllllllllll !!! LOL ... Did I win the Lottery !!!!!!!!! yesssssssssssssss ! free parking for all going to Jackson games for the entire basketball season !!!!! LOL ... but seriously folks ... what IS the good news from the Land of the Ironmen ?
Tell me what game(s) and your parking fee will be covered.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

nice deal!

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Well....at least I wasn't to far off on my picks pfloyd. I really think Waverly will go deep in tourney time.

Good list pfloyd...still kinda think the Oaks will be down this year...tough to replace those horses from last year.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:41 pm Well....at least I wasn't to far off on my picks pfloyd. I really think Waverly will go deep in tourney time.

Good list pfloyd...still kinda think the Oaks will be down this year...tough to replace those horses from last year.
I have the Oaks at #30 in the preseason - much of that is the respect I have for Coach Persin - he will get everything out of the kids on the court ... I totally agree on the fact that you don't replace the "horses" from last years graduating class ... the Oaks will step back this season - they'll slow it down, work on beating teams by "out fundamental-ing" the opposition ... that's what Coach Persin TEAMS do - I always enjoy watching the Oaks play for that very fact - I am a BIG promoter of "fundamentals" at both ends of the floor - TEAMS that are fundamentally sound? I watch them play with a smile on my face win or lose, as it tells me that the coach is doing it right ... you're in a whole lot games being fundamentally sound at both ends, then when you add scorers/some size PLUS those fundamentals - that's when you have a championship caliber TEAM ... Coach Persin will get the Oaks back on top - it may not be this season but in the not too distant future imo - it's what Coach Persin does ! he's a coach and teacher of the game - my kind of coach ...

Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

out of everyone in SEO who has the toughest schedule?

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Reds Fan wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:59 am out of everyone in SEO who has the toughest schedule?
Would be hard to argue against Logan's schedule.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Reds Fan wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:59 am out of everyone in SEO who has the toughest schedule?
Logan gets the nod - night in night out the Purple are playing outstanding opponents ... I pointed out in an earlier post that it will be interesting to see the reactions if/when my Chiefs drop a game vs one of these quality "non-Southeast District" opponents during the season - as the committee of one - me - will be taking into account the strength of the Chiefs opponents as to whether the Purple Boyz drop in the rankings (much if at all) ... going to be FUN ranking every week this season ! ...

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I haven't seen everyones schedule yet, but I would find it pretty hard to see anyone with a more challenging schedule than the Chieftans.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Looking forward to getting this thing rolling, Its that cold season, time to go inside

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

VetteMan wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:52 pm I haven't seen everyones schedule yet, but I would find it pretty hard to see anyone with a more challenging schedule than the Chieftans.
I just saw the entire Warren schedule for the 2018-19 campaign ...Coach Maddox & the Big Bad Blue are looking at probably the 2nd toughest schedule Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line :

Warren Warriors Basketball 🏀
2018/19 Schedule

Nov 30 @Marietta High School
Dec 4 @Meigs High School
Dec 7 Parkersburg High School
Dec 11 @Frye High School
Dec 15 Meadowbrook High School
Dec 21 Belpre High School
Dec 28 Cols Whitehall Yearling at MC
Dec 29. New Lexington High School
Jan 4 Fort Frye High School
Jan 5 Spring Valley HS at Rio Grande
Jan 11 Athens High School
Jan 15 Marietta High School
Jan 18 @Parkersburg South High School
Jan 19 @Meadowbrook High School
Jan 22 Alexander High School
Jan 26 @Gallia Academy HS
Jan 29 @John Glenn High School
Feb 1 @Parkersburg Catholic High School
Feb 9 @Morgan High School
Feb 12 Parkersburg South High School
Feb 15 @Chillicothe High School
Feb 16 Logan Sr High School

... it's good to see SOME of the same foes that Logan is playing also on the Warren Menu of games : Parkersburg, Parkersburg South twice, Whitehall Yearling, Athens, Gallia, Chillicothe plus the Logan game for Warren ... add the annually a quality rivalry of Fort Frye (2 games) , John Glenn , Meigs will be an excellent team this season as well - "ain't no cupcakes on THAT schedule" either ... Coach Maddox & his staff do a great job of teaching the game of basketball from the biddy leagues UP to the head man Coach Maddox at the high school level - they get the kids to buy into fundamentals and defense ... then they give them the opportunities to "apply" the hoops knowledge vs good to excellent competition ... all of which allows for the staff to "teach" the game from the preseason right into the post season ... such an outstanding PROGRAM which will be GETTING all NEW digs in a year or two due to the passage of their school levy !!! looking forward to seeing games in NEW cheap seats from the NEW Warrior Dome in a couple of years !!!

Bud07
Freshman Team

Post by Bud07 »

Fairfield Union plays a pretty brutal schedule year in and year out. I think the MSL will be much more even this year as well. I think they are ranked a bit low, but we will have to see after the first few games of the season.

Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

Watch out for McClain. Veteran coach Joe B. Stewart will give them discipline, structure and a simplified system. Plus, they got some players. Keep an eye on them. Good chance Tiger Nation returns to the Convo this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Bud07 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:58 pm Fairfield Union plays a pretty brutal schedule year in and year out. I think the MSL will be much more even this year as well. I think they are ranked a bit low, but we will have to see after the first few games of the season.
Bud07 - they absolutely do play a quality schedule every year ! I totally agree with how Coach Eversole does it too - as he and his staff set their Menu up to play 1/3 of the games vs teams that FU SHOULD win, 1/3 of the games being EVEN opponents and 1/3 of the games vs teams that are on paper BETTER teams ... gives the TEAM the chance to gel , the coaching staff the opportunity to TEACH every game ...

FU should be GOOD this season ! you bring back one of the better PG in SEOhio in Evan Conley you are have a great starting point - tough losing one of th best bigs Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line in Colin Woodside, proven scorers in Spencer Conrad/Lucas Thompson ... lots of points needed to be replaced for FU this season ... Houston Harrah is a good start in the paint - he will need to be more aggressive offensively for sure - needs to be a double figure scorer ... if I'm not mistaken there is ANOTHER 6-5ish Harrah in the shadows coming through as a freshmen this season ? ... I have them further down the rankings for the simple reason that there are lots of question marks - points to be replaced, perimeter scoring to be replaced ... the MSL league tests teams every night in league play ... I saw Columbus West to open the season for FU on the Nov 30th, St Chuck, Beechroft on the schedule along with Sheridan out of the MVL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tigerhawk123 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm Watch out for McClain. Veteran coach Joe B. Stewart will give them discipline, structure and a simplified system. Plus, they got some players. Keep an eye on them. Good chance Tiger Nation returns to the Convo this year.
Tigerhawk123 ! I HOPE SO !!! I miss seeing McClain at the Convo ! ... I like the words you are using - discipline/structure/simplified aka imo that means getting back to basics/fundamentals ... I like the sound of that ... do the basics of the game better than your opponent and good things happen - throw in some talent which comes through in cycles ... makes it even better for the TEAM ... look forward to following the development of the Tigers this season ! keep us posted as to what is happening in Tiger Land ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’ll be that guy....McClain no chance for the Convo.

Who are these players to get them there? Couple nice freshman players but they won’t be varsity kids on a Convo team.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:35 pm I’ll be that guy....McClain no chance for the Convo.

Who are these players to get them there? Couple nice freshman players but they won’t be varsity kids on a Convo team.
Dalton Mischal. He missed the majority of last season (probably 16-17 games) and is a dynamic player.

But, that’s really it from what I can recall. However, with new coaches, new players seem to appear from out of the woodwork so I’ll hold judgment until I see them in a few weeks.

Going from 2 wins to the Convo would be the coaching move of the century though. And passing Gallia, Zane Trace, Jackson, Waverly, Unioto, and Washington to get to the Convo would make that coaching even more impressive.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

You have them close to your top 8 anyway. I think everyone should be very aware of Eastern Pike. Those kids eat and drink basketball,they now play football but it will always be secondary to basketball. They also have one of the best coaches in the state of Ohio. I think they will not be an easy out for anyone on there schedule this year.

Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

Mischal injured in football, not sure of severity. Garrison Banks can shoot. Devin Carter on block. Others good role players. They do have a freshman stud - but yes, a big leap to varsity. Dante and Bill Cullom last two frosh to do so with success. With Mischal, could conceivably win 14-15 games; somewhat of a soft schedule. We shall see but they will be much improved. WCH and Chilli will be very good in the FAC. WCH had a lot of move-ins. New coach as well. Chilli stacked with athletes and Huff does a great job. Plus, Huffy in the stands doesn't hurt.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Tigerhawk123 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 pm Mischal injured in football, not sure of severity. Garrison Banks can shoot. Devin Carter on block. Others good role players. They do have a freshman stud - but yes, a big leap to varsity. Dante and Bill Cullom last two frosh to do so with success. With Mischal, could conceivably win 14-15 games; somewhat of a soft schedule. We shall see but they will be much improved. WCH and Chilli will be very good in the FAC. WCH had a lot of move-ins. New coach as well. Chilli stacked with athletes and Huff does a great job. Plus, Huffy in the stands doesn't hurt.
Freshman kid can really play. Have gotten used to him during his junior high years...kid can score and hitting tough tough shots seems to be his thing. Transition to varsity without an excellent team around him will be a task but I imagine he’ll be in the rotation and help out.

Best of luck to the McClain kids and coaches. SE Ohio basketball is better when McClain is really good. They are trending that direction for sure.

Big Bob
Waterboy

Post by Big Bob »

Will Piketon drop and Unioto rise with the apparent transfer of Isaac Little? Will he (and his father) find happiness and playing time in Ross County? Should make for interesting things up north.

Return to “Boys Basketball”