Welcome to basketball season, 2018...

Dirty Sanchez
Riding the Bench

Welcome to basketball season, 2018...

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

To all you losers out there, welcome to basketball season. Now roll out the balls. :lol:

But seriously people, how are your teams going to benefit from these next few weeks of extra practice compared to the teams that won and are still playing football? Good luck, losers. ;)

pistol
Freshman Team

Re: Welcome to basketball season, 2018...

Post by pistol »

Classy post!

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Dirty Sanchez wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 pm To all you losers out there, welcome to basketball season. Now roll out the balls. :lol:

But seriously people, how are your teams going to benefit from these next few weeks of extra practice compared to the teams that won and are still playing football? Good luck, losers. ;)
Better not be practicing yet as that is a major OHSAA violation. Don’t cheat!

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

I am sure those are just "open gyms".

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Serious question, why does basketball take 120 to get to the sectional finals? This is 40 days more than the rest of fall and spring sports, football is 98 days to get to end of regional semi final games. I know the Christmas holidays add a few days that can’t be used, but basketball is too long, and too many games.

120 days is 17 weeks, that would allow a little over 1 game a week.

4 months is too long, throw in the amount of time spent for open gyms, the 10 days in the summer and AAU and camps and clinics, basketball is wearing kids down.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Wearing kids down? How about the parents. Lol

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:25 am Serious question, why does basketball take 120 to get to the sectional finals? This is 40 days more than the rest of fall and spring sports, football is 98 days to get to end of regional semi final games. I know the Christmas holidays add a few days that can’t be used, but basketball is too long, and too many games.

4 months is too long, throw in the amount of time spent for open gyms, the 10 days in the summer and AAU and camps and clinics, basketball is wearing kids down.
I totally disagree on the too many games, but the scheduling could definitely be better. No reason for a league like the SVC to play 5 back-to-back weekends. To me, that’s when kids get worn down more and the quality of games start to drop as well.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:29 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:25 am Serious question, why does basketball take 120 to get to the sectional finals? This is 40 days more than the rest of fall and spring sports, football is 98 days to get to end of regional semi final games. I know the Christmas holidays add a few days that can’t be used, but basketball is too long, and too many games.

I totally disagree on the too many games, but the scheduling could definitely be better. No reason for a league like the SVC to play 5 back-to-back weekends. To me, that’s when kids get worn down more and the quality of games start to drop as well.

Just asking? Wouldn't the AD or the coach at each school be the person that sets the Schedule up? I know at a lot of schools, that the coach is also the AD. I wouldn't think that the SVC would be mandating that each school is required to schedule like that. I also know that you are right, that they do and have done that in the past.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Just asking? Wouldn't the AD or the coach at each school be the person that sets the Schedule up? I know at a lot of schools, that the coach is also the AD. I wouldn't think that the SVC would be mandating that each school is required to schedule like that. I also know that you are right, that they do and have done that in the past.
I think the ADs get handed the league schedule and then build the nonleague games around that. For a few years, it was set up where the Boys would play on Friday night and the Girls would play on Saturday night as an “equality” thing, but it was quickly moved to Saturday afternoon for the Girls for whatever reason.

For me, I just don’t see why a league like the SVC can’t play T/F for boys and W/S for Girls, let the middle school play on M/Th. It gives everyone a couple of days off between games to recuperate and game plan.

It is what it is though and I know that smarter people than me have figured it out.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Watched some pretty ugly games last year on the back end of those back to backs

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:13 pm
VetteMan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:50 pm

I think the ADs get handed the league schedule and then build the nonleague games around that. For a few years, it was set up where the Boys would play on Friday night and the Girls would play on Saturday night as an “equality” thing, but it was quickly moved to Saturday afternoon for the Girls for whatever reason.

For me, I just don’t see why a league like the SVC can’t play T/F for boys and W/S for Girls, let the middle school play on M/Th. It gives everyone a couple of days off between games to recuperate and game plan.

It is what it is though and I know that smarter people than me have figured it out.
Thank you for your response. Makes perfect sense to me also.

Return to “Boys Basketball”