SOC previews

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Re: SOC previews

Post by N2Hoops »

Northwest will struggle this season, the development just hasn’t been there. They’re going to be young so this group could grow together through the battles and be better for it.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

mglight88 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:30 pm Green 41, South Webster JV 11
Thanks for posting the scores!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

No one have the roster for Symmes Valley ?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Was able to take in the previews and these were my thoughts:

5:00 South Webster v. Notre Dame

- South Webster should have a solid year. Plenty of talent and size. How they handle pressure will determine their season. Blevins is a stud and will keep them in all of their games. Could be as high as 2nd in the SOC if they play well.

- Notre Dame is down. I can't see many more than 2-3 wins for them this season.

5:40 Oak Hill v. Glenwood

- Oak Hill is still just solid. Darby is a beast and will likely average 25+ ppg as the offense will facilitate through him. Well coached, hard nosed. Anywhere from 2-4 in the SOC but wouldn't shock me to see them upset Burg or Waverly.

- New Boston will be fine in D4 and probably finish 3rd or 4th in the SOC I. Sexton kid is very talented, Caldwell kid is long and tall. Guard play is so-so and could be their potential downfall. Good news is, they have 47 coaches on staff so the coach-to-player attention ratio will be like 3 to 1. Impressive.

6:20 Waverly v. East

- Waverly is going to be solid and fun to watch. I think where they'll struggle is they don't have that "go-to" scorer. Robertson kid will be that eventually, but he's not ready for that this year. They will finish 2-3 in the SOC and potentially #1 if they can knock off Burg.

- East is down. Going to be a long, tough season in Sciotoville.

7:00 Minford v. Western

- Minford will be solid but I think they'll be very inconsistent. Dalton is a good player and a new face on the coaching staff will help Minford be more disciplined. I talked to a Minford parent who informed me that 2 starters are out for the season, that will hurt them. Nonetheless, still plenty of athletes in Minford. Probably 4-5 range in the SOC.

- Western will be solid and will continue to get better throughout the year - something coach Fitch does every single season. By the end of the year this could be a very dangerous team in D3.

7:40 West v. Clay

- West is down, going to be a long season.

- Clay is also way down, going to be an even longer season.

8:20 Northwest v. Symmes Valley

- Northwest is as down as I've seen in a long time. They'll struggle to win a game, unfortunately. Hope the kids continue to work and the young kids don't give up.

- Symmes was fairly surprising, although it may just have been who they were against. They could be a sleeper to potentially pull an upset on the top 2-4 teams in the SOC 1 and may be able to pull off an upset in the D4 tourney.

9:00 Valley v. Eastern

- Valley will be interesting to follow. I still think they're going to have a down season, but they have a little more talent and potential than they did last year. New coach, perhaps a new attitude. I could see anywhere from 5-10 wins, depending on how they progress.

- Eastern is going to be solid. Well coach, plenty of talent, and physical! Barrick has these boys in in shape and they'll hit the ground running. Other than Wheelersburg, they're the best D3 team in the district. Fun team to watch compete.

9:40 SW JV v. Green

- Green will have a solid year, I think they're very, very dangerous in D4 this year. Probably 6-7 kids they can comfortably rotate and a go-to scorer in Kimbler. They are a top 4 team in SE Ohio D4 this year with a real shot to win the district if they can stay healthy.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Thanks for posting bbjunky! Good insight. All I can add is I agree with you on about everything, Eastern should have a great season and I could see Green having one as well.Bobcats are For sure Easterns biggest challengers in league,I expect competitive games between the two, especially at Green..also I don't wanna sell Western short,they will be solid and could make some noise.Eagles non league will prepare them for tournament in March,it all starts Friday when they play Oak Hill..also the Holiday classic should be good this year, always is,but could be one of the better ones. Nothing like Basketball season imo.
Last edited by beaverlover on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky: thanks for the rundown for those of us who couldn't make it Friday night. Sounds like top half of SOC I will be some competitive basketball. I shouldn't be surprised, but sounds like Oak Hill still going to be a factor in SOC II despite all the kids they graduated.*

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

beaverlover wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:17 am Thanks for posting bbjunky! Good insight. All I can add is I agree with you on about everything, Eastern should have a great season and I could see Green having one as well.Bobcats are For sure Easterns biggest challengers in league,I expect competitive games between the two, especially at Green..also I don't wanna sell Western short,they will be solid and could make some noise.Eagles non league will prepare them for tournament in March,it all starts Saturday when they play Oak Hill..also the Holiday classic should be good this year, always is,but could be one of the better ones. Nothing like Basketball season imo.
No big deal, but you may have meant to say Friday,instead of Saturday. I think Beaver Eastern / and Oak Hill play on Friday, November 30th.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Oops,u are correct. I'll fix it.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:50 pm bbjunky: thanks for the rundown for those of us who couldn't make it Friday night. Sounds like top half of SOC I will be some competitive basketball. I shouldn't be surprised, but sounds like Oak Hill still going to be a factor in SOC II despite all the kids they graduated.*
I think 3rd is the best they can do but won’t go below 4th unless Darby gets injured and can’t play.

23tdb
Riding the Bench

Post by 23tdb »

SOC 1:
1. Eastern
2. Symmes Valley
3. Green
4. New Boston
5.Western
6.ND
7. Clay