• Roster with #/Name/Height/Year
  • Outlook

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
dcgjones
Freshman Team

Re: 2018/19 Jackson Ironmen

Post by dcgjones »

Jackson has more talent walking the halls than on the floor. Transfers don't hurt football as much, but its hurting the basketball program. Dont get me wrong some tranfers are good and better than what you have. But you can put a team together from kids that are not playing right now and beat the starting five. You'll have this at every school but Jackson could dominate if it could hang on to its own and stop taking tranfers. Something can be said about the last 3 years when you have 3 players that were excellent that played elsewhere. Before anyone says anything about me being bitter, trust me I'm not. Just a disappointed fan when you continue to see this. I've seen the last 3 year senior classes and they keep getting smaller and smaller that are playing. Coach has to realize that sometimes experience will get you way farther than a kid that you think is a little better. Four year player that knows the system vs newbie. I'm sure this will ruffle alot of feathers. This year wont be as good as everyone thinks, coach has got alot of kids down on themselves. I wont go into the specifics but its been an issue the last 3 years that it had to be addressed.

JMO. Feel free to committ

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I’m familiar with a lot of the Jackson players. There maybe a few athletes walking the halls but they are not better basketball players than the ones playing. Basketball players are kids that can accept discipline, put the team ahead of themselves and dedicate themselves to program. (It’s not like other sports) The athletes not playing are not able to do those things so they are not basketball players. Coach Morrow has done a great job at Jackson. Enough Said!

Vito Corleone
Freshman Team

Post by Vito Corleone »

dcgjones wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:33 pm Jackson has more talent walking the halls than on the floor. Transfers don't hurt football as much, but its hurting the basketball program. Dont get me wrong some tranfers are good and better than what you have. But you can put a team together from kids that are not playing right now and beat the starting five. You'll have this at every school but Jackson could dominate if it could hang on to its own and stop taking tranfers. Something can be said about the last 3 years when you have 3 players that were excellent that played elsewhere. Before anyone says anything about me being bitter, trust me I'm not. Just a disappointed fan when you continue to see this. I've seen the last 3 year senior classes and they keep getting smaller and smaller that are playing. Coach has to realize that sometimes experience will get you way farther than a kid that you think is a little better. Four year player that knows the system vs newbie. I'm sure this will ruffle alot of feathers. This year wont be as good as everyone thinks, coach has got alot of kids down on themselves. I wont go into the specifics but its been an issue the last 3 years that it had to be addressed.

JMO. Feel free to committ
More talent walking in the halls than what they have now? What? Dude this isn’t 2010. Transfers? Their best players are Jackson boys. Yea they got a couple that came in, but I mean it works for Burg. They have a boat load of success and have transfers coming in left and right. If it wasn’t for the transfers, they wouldn’t have as much success as they have been having here lately

Making offers you can't refuse
HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

One of my favorite tropes on this site is that a school has more talented athletes in the hallways and not on the court/field.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:52 pm Basketball players are kids that can accept discipline, put the team ahead of themselves and dedicate themselves to program. (It’s not like other sports) The athletes not playing are not able to do those things so they are not basketball players. Coach Morrow has done a great job at Jackson. Enough Said!
This is something that is also developed at home by not being the parent talking poorly of others or the Coach. The time of teaching kids about role players, sacrifice and the good of the team is unfortunately not being expressed as much.

I loved your post and appreciated it! Thank you.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Transfers? Who isn’t playing because of transfers?

I can name about a dozen kids 9-12 that aren’t playing but have in at least 8-11th grade....maybe 2 of those aren’t.

Transfers? One played JV in summer scrimmages and was easily the best player....then they gave him varsity looks. Sounds fair to me.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’m still perplexed on how any of this is because of transfers. It doesn’t even make sense. The only two transfers we have are here because of football. They both came from a great basketball school with a tremendous varsity coach and program.

Almost every single kid that is no longer playing knew they were moving on from basketball after last season and weren’t at open gyms or summer stuff before the transfers even showed up.

In 10th grade I was a 5’6 back up PG that couldn’t create for others and really didn’t dribble well or see the floor good enough....I knew my time was up. My junior year I would’ve been one of the JV kids getting a ton of playing time and probably riding the end of that varsity bench...could’ve been on the last Jackson High School Boys team to win a league title. I knew I wasn’t that good and my replacement happened to be a freshman guard that went on to be one of only 4 JHS players to surpass 1,000 career points. He was going to pass me up soon and I knew it...and I played 2 other sports. My time was over but I wasn’t bitter and neither were my parents. I’ve been to about every JHS game since.

Also fun....Jackson has had 4 1,000 scorers in their 90 years but have had 5 kids transfer in the last 11 years go on to score 1,000 for another school and 6 transfers over the last 20 years score 1,000 for another school.

Welcome to Jackson Nevan and Evan...I’ll be cheering you guys on just like all of your Ironmen teammates.

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:52 pm I’m still perplexed on how any of this is because of transfers. It doesn’t even make sense. The only two transfers we have are here because of football. They both came from a great basketball school with a tremendous varsity coach and program.

Almost every single kid that is no longer playing knew they were moving on from basketball after last season and weren’t at open gyms or summer stuff before the transfers even showed up.

In 10th grade I was a 5’6 back up PG that couldn’t create for others and really didn’t dribble well or see the floor good enough....I knew my time was up. My junior year I would’ve been one of the JV kids getting a ton of playing time and probably riding the end of that varsity bench...could’ve been on the last Jackson High School Boys team to win a league title. I knew I wasn’t that good and my replacement happened to be a freshman guard that went on to be one of only 4 JHS players to surpass 1,000 career points. He was going to pass me up soon and I knew it...and I played 2 other sports. My time was over but I wasn’t bitter and neither were my parents. I’ve been to about every JHS game since.

Also fun....Jackson has had 4 1,000 scorers in their 90 years but have had 5 kids transfer in the last 11 years go on to score 1,000 for another school and 6 transfers over the last 20 years score 1,000 for another school.

Welcome to Jackson Nevan and Evan...I’ll be cheering you guys on just like all of your Ironmen teammates.
Great Post and if I’m not mistaken we have an 8th grade transfer as well that came to play football that’s a pretty good basketball player too.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Shane Falco wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:52 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:52 pm I’m still perplexed on how any of this is because of transfers. It doesn’t even make sense. The only two transfers we have are here because of football. They both came from a great basketball school with a tremendous varsity coach and program.

Great Post and if I’m not mistaken we have an 8th grade transfer as well that came to play football that’s a pretty good basketball player too.
He came last year in 7th grade after basketball. Great kid and family. He’s a good 6’1 and looks to have more growing in him. He’s got a good size to use his body and with his football/wrestling background will likely dominate jr high with his size. Another kid from Ceredo WV area came last year in 7th grade and he is an excellent PG. Those two will greatly help out the 8th grade team and could be on one better teams around.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... bottom line : the best "programs" run by the best coaches play the best players - transfers, home grown, made in a lab - it doesn't matter - the best players, that help TEAM see the floor, get the PT ... good post I92 ...

Pete_Bell
Freshman Team

Post by Pete_Bell »

Jackson Basketball should be solid this year. Good group of freshman, some solid JV players and a deep and athletic varsity team. They should be fun to watch

Between the Lines
Freshman Team

Post by Between the Lines »

Transfers is not why some kids are walking the halls and not on the court or fields. It's motivation, it's discipline, It's knowing what it takes to be where you need to be. Some kids just thinks it will just happen, and that is not how it works. Kids and parents need to remember a old wise saying. "Don't get mad just get better".

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

good group of athletes 9-12 for Jackson. The Ironmen should be very competitive this year and the coming years as well

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Reds Fan
JV Team

Post by Reds Fan »

It's about time the ironmen have a team full of studs. it will be exciting to watch. hopefully they can win the league and make a run in the tournament. I'll be showing my support from the northern part of Jackson County. Best of luck to the Ironmen this season.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Looks like the sleeping giant has finally awoken. No reason Jackson basketball shouldn't be competitive every year with the top-level athletes they have there.*

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:28 pm Looks like the sleeping giant has finally awoken. No reason Jackson basketball shouldn't be competitive every year with the top-level athletes they have there.*
I’ll bite. Why the asterisk?

Edit: never mind, all of his recent posts end with an *

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

You gotta play together---Jackson will have their ups and downs this year. Should have a good record-- but once the year ends--what will they do? Time will tell.

Pete_Bell
Freshman Team

Post by Pete_Bell »

vcgrad wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:53 pm You gotta play together---Jackson will have their ups and downs this year. Should have a good record-- but once the year ends--what will they do? Time will tell.
Could you elaborate?

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

A lot of new faces---will have to play together-some kids from Jackson--might not like the idea of all the new team mates.

Return to “Boys Basketball”