2018/19 Jackson Ironmen

Championship07
Riding the Bench

Re: 2018/19 Jackson Ironmen

Post by Championship07 »

TOESTUBBER01 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 pm Anyone at the scrimmage at Jackson today? Wondering who all is there and how the teams are doing. I know Warren traveled down there this morning.
Really solid scrimmage for all 3 teams I felt. Warren played without a starting guard due to an ankle injury. SP played without one of their bigs who should be back in the next week to 10 days. Officiating was subpar as another poster stated. Only 2 officials so hard to see it all but they missed a lot.

Jackson is very quick, run transition well and defend with tons of intensity. Area of improvement for them could be half court offense but the Cooper kid is tough.

Warren is long and athletic across the board. They also run transition well and defend as a group. Very fundamental. Lack shooting it seemed to me but they have ability to finish at the basket and above the rim.

SP has really good guard play and shoot the ball well. Their half court defense is solid in spurts. They need a lot of work on transition defense. Athletically they should compete with about anyone on their schedule it comes down to execution for them I believe. Fox looks to be getting closer to 100% for them which is a big deal for their ovc hopes and moving forward.

All 3 teams could be in Athens at the end of the year I believe.

TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

Thanks for the update. I92 how did the freshmen and JV teams look.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TOESTUBBER01 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:26 pm Thanks for the update. I92 how did the freshmen and JV teams look.
Jackson and Warren freshman were very close thru 4 quarters. Jackson more skill for the game but Warren always had 5 on the floor that were excellent on defense and boxing out....incredible what that will do for a team.

South Point could make the deep 3 but think they went 1-5 in their quarters (think they beat Warren 1 qtr)

JV Jackson split with Warren but last quarter was ugly in favor of Warren. Not sure how either faired vs South Point.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

That is true---but the issue has been off the court for a lot of years--maybe that's why they left or did not play there?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:31 pm That is true---but the issue has been off the court for a lot of years--maybe that's why they left or did not play there?
Greener pastures

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Maybe--as long as they win-they will be okay--if they hit a rough patch--watch them come out of the woodwork!!

Pete_Bell
Freshman Team

Post by Pete_Bell »

Jackson JV was 2-1-1 vs. SP. I think SP and Warren 2-2 split

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

vcgrad wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:07 pm Maybe--as long as they win-they will be okay--if they hit a rough patch--watch them come out of the woodwork!!
I watched Ironmen basketball since our 51 year old AD was the star on the team....I can’t think of one time we had a good team that lost a few games in a row and the parents ruined it.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Come on I92. You are not being intellectually honest. They ran out a perfectly good coach in Heath McKinniss, and they have taken their swings at Max Morrow. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Max Morrow, I think he does a great job, but, if he hangs his hat on Yates, Bragg, and Spires, and they play more that what is perceptively allowed, that contingent of parents and meddling will get more tenacious. I too, have been watching this area's high school basketball for the past 39 years. Some things never change.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:46 pm Come on I92. You are not being intellectually honest. They ran out a perfectly good coach in Heath McKinniss, and they have taken their swings at Max Morrow. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Max Morrow, I think he does a great job, but, if he hangs his hat on Yates, Bragg, and Spires, and they play more that what is perceptively allowed, that contingent of parents and meddling will get more tenacious. I too, have been watching this area's high school basketball for the past 39 years. Some things never change.
I’m commenting on vcgrad’s words. Did McKinniss have a really good team that lost a few and then the parents went crazy....was the parent that made all the noise even a Jackson parent or person?

Yates is going to play...why the hell wouldnt he? He’s being worked in and it’s easy to see that he’s a main player as soon as his legs get into basketball form, you know his ability.

Who are these parents that are griping or are going to gripe about Spires? Would have to be parents of kids losing playing time. I know all of the parents involved and they aren’t any percent of any problem. Drew Bragg is a week away from getting checked out to see where he’s at. He’s been completely shut down for over a month. He is no where close to the court let alone taking over spots on floor from key Jackson players....that and he’s played in Jackson full time since 5th grade and has played basketball in Jackson every single year since kindergarten.

A lot of experts on the happenings of Jackson basketball that haven’t watched a second of them play this practice/scrimmage season.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

When do these teams play ? I got a feeling Jackson may have that one circled

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:40 pm When do these teams play ? I got a feeling Jackson may have that one circled
Were supposed to play twice but Jackson dropped the second game.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

That stinks
Always a fun intense game

Sunoco
Riding the Bench

Post by Sunoco »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:59 pm
hawkeyepierce wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:46 pm Come on I92. You are not being intellectually honest. They ran out a perfectly good coach in Heath McKinniss, and they have taken their swings at Max Morrow. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Max Morrow, I think he does a great job, but, if he hangs his hat on Yates, Bragg, and Spires, and they play more that what is perceptively allowed, that contingent of parents and meddling will get more tenacious. I too, have been watching this area's high school basketball for the past 39 years. Some things never change.
I’m commenting on vcgrad’s words. Did McKinniss have a really good team that lost a few and then the parents went crazy....was the parent that made all the noise even a Jackson parent or person?

Yates is going to play...why the hell wouldnt he? He’s being worked in and it’s easy to see that he’s a main player as soon as his legs get into basketball form, you know his ability.

Who are these parents that are griping or are going to gripe about Spires? Would have to be parents of kids losing playing time. I know all of the parents involved and they aren’t any percent of any problem. Drew Bragg is a week away from getting checked out to see where he’s at. He’s been completely shut down for over a month. He is no where close to the court let alone taking over spots on floor from key Jackson players....that and he’s played in Jackson full time since 5th grade and has played basketball in Jackson every single year since kindergarten.

A lot of experts on the happenings of Jackson basketball that haven’t watched a second of them play this practice/scrimmage season.
Agreed!!!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 pm That stinks
Always a fun intense game
Yea, good money maker for each program too.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dundas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:49 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:40 pm When do these teams play ? I got a feeling Jackson may have that one circled
My source says that is false.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 pm
We had to scramble to find 22 games. Just actually found the 22nd last week. Jackson and Logan have been home and home for VC the last handful of years. Idk who your source is, but I doubt VC told Jackson they only wanted to play once and then struggle to find enough games. Lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dundas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:18 pm

We had to scramble to find 22 games. Just actually found the 22nd last week. Jackson and Logan have been home and home for VC the last handful of years. Idk who your source is, but I doubt VC told Jackson they only wanted to play once and then struggle to find enough games. Lol
Do you know one way or the other though?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:31 pm
Dundas wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Do you know one way or the other though?
Yes. The two teams we normally play twice a year out of conference only wanted to play once this year. Basically my original statement.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

That is absolutely true. I have personally spoken with Coach Morrow, with full disclosure, this was a couple of years ago, at the time when we were making runs at regionals, he stated that the game was not go for them. If you think about it, at the time it wasn't. The last four contest are, with the exception of last year, Vikings' sound victories:

2015-2016 H 66-44 and @ Jackson 72-38
2016-2017 H 90-60
2017-2018 H Jackson 59-56

That is quite a difference, 22 points a game. And at the time, if you are a young coach, trying to build a program, why do you schedule two losses of 20 plus points? However, with the talent he has now, he may be regretting that decision.

Return to “Boys Basketball”