Teams on the End Table at the end 2017-18 ... 2018-19?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Teams on the End Table at the end 2017-18 ... 2018-19?

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/South East Ohio - final rankings had the following teams on the End Table :

Greenfield McClain (3-19)
Huntington (3-19)
Wahama (3-18)
Federal Hocking (2-19)
Rock Hill (1- 16)
Portsmouth Clay (2-20)

... I've received info on other teams who were in the 3 win range - ie Washington CH, Portsmouth Notre Dame, Westfall ... Court House sounds like they have positioned themselves for a better season with the hire of Coach Connor Scott as the head man at Court House ... Huntington has an SVC MVP type player in Elijah McCloskey - What does the Huntsmen's surrounding cast of characters look like ? Federal Hocking - last year starting 2-3 freshmen, in many games vs quality opponents in the TVC ... this year ? the youngin's have a year under their belts - who are the youngsters who picked up the all important year of varsity experience ? anyone else coming up to add size? (I saw some video of the NB vs Fed Hock scrimmage - it LOOKED like the Lancers have some size ? ) ...

Looking for information on the End Table Teams from last season ... Who comes off the End Table ? Why? ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M&G
Waterboy

Re: Teams on the End Tables at the end 2017-18 ... 2018-19?

Post by M&G »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 am Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/South East Ohio - final rankings had the following teams on the End Table :

Huntington (3-19)
Wahama (3-18)
Federal Hocking (2-19)
Rock Hill (1- 16)
Portsmouth Clay (2-20)

... I've received info on other teams who were in the 3 win range - ie Washington CH, Portsmouth Notre Dame, Westfall ... Court House sounds like they have positioned themselves for a better season with the hire of Coach Connor Scott as the head man at Court House ... Huntington has an SVC MVP type player in Elijah McCloskey - What does the Huntsmen's surrounding cast of characters look like ? Federal Hocking - last year starting 2-3 freshmen, in many games vs quality opponents in the TVC ... this year ? the youngin's have a year under their belts - who are the youngsters who picked up the all important year of varsity experience ? anyone else coming up to add size? (I saw some video of the NB vs Fed Hock scrimmage - it LOOKED like the Lancers have some size ? ) ...

Looking for information on the End Table Teams from last season ... Who comes off the End Table ? Why? ...
Fed Hock's freshmen from last season were Smith, Massie and Jarvis. In the scrimmage Saturday, Smith and Massie didn't play due to concussions. They have several boys with good size and a few of those with varsity experience. I think they will be winning several more games this season. They do have talent, experience, size, and a very good head coach and assistant coach.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Huntington should be improved, but they still won’t have a lot of depth.

Seth Beeler (5’10 Jr)
DJ Kinzer (6’3 Sr)
Canaan Knoles (6’1 Sr)
Nate Snyder (5’10 Sr)
Andrew Cox (5’10 Sr)

They will have some nice athletes, Beeler and Snyder can both really shoot it, but can they find another couple of guys to give them rotational depth? The Huntsmen will be better than 3 wins and it wouldn’t shock me if they finish over .500.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

McClain will be better as long as Dalton Mischal (6’3 Jr) is fully healthy. He missed a majority of last season with a lower leg injury. They did play better down the stretch last year as they played Chillicothe and Paint Valley close and beat Washington and Hillsboro.

Devin Carter (6’3, 11.7 PPG)
Garrison Banks (6’, 8.7 PPG)
Kobe Penwell (5’8, 7 PPG)

Those 3, along with Mischal, should give coach Joe B. Stewart a solid base. The positive of Mischal missing a majority of last season was that it gave players like Carter and Banks a chance to figure out new roles with the varsity team.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

M&G wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:01 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 am Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/South East Ohio - final rankings had the following teams on the End Table :

Huntington (3-19)
Wahama (3-18)
Federal Hocking (2-19)
Rock Hill (1- 16)
Portsmouth Clay (2-20)

Fed Hock's freshmen from last season were Smith, Massie and Jarvis. In the scrimmage Saturday, Smith and Massie didn't play due to concussions. They have several boys with good size and a few of those with varsity experience. I think they will be winning several more games this season. They do have talent, experience, size, and a very good head coach and assistant coach.
... thanks M&G ... THAT year of experience puts these - now sophomores - soooo far ahead on the learning curve ... good stuff - when I go into a gym to watch teams I like having names I can target on my napkin stats sheets - put them out of the way of the mustard on those napkins so I can read their names when I do a game rundown LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:18 pm McClain will be better as long as Dalton Mischal (6’3 Jr) is fully healthy. He missed a majority of last season with a lower leg injury. They did play better down the stretch last year as they played Chillicothe and Paint Valley close and beat Washington and Hillsboro.

Devin Carter (6’3, 11.7 PPG)
Garrison Banks (6’, 8.7 PPG)
Kobe Penwell (5’8, 7 PPG)

Those 3, along with Mischal, should give coach Joe B. Stewart a solid base. The positive of Mischal missing a majority of last season was that it gave players like Carter and Banks a chance to figure out new roles with the varsity team.
Thanks daniC ... can't beat getting PT to force players to step up , become contributors at the offensive end when they weren't quite ready OR they THOUGHT they weren't ready ... NOW when a "player" - in all senses of the word - returns he is surrounded by "contributors" ... good stuff ! I will see Westfall vs Greenfield McClain at the Zane Trace Tip Off Classic on Saturday 12/1 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Teams on the End Table at the end 2017-18 ... 2018-19?

Post by pfloyd »

... interested in getting information from the Portsmouth Clay Panther camp ! after making their appearance to the big show - last year's decline was expected as in the small school divisions - classes like the 2016-17 Clay Panthers don't come along often ... looking to see if the talent level has started back up for CHS, the youngsters from last year have grown - size & experience wise - will the Panthers get back to being a force in SOC hoops soon? ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Teams on the End Table at the end 2017-18 ... 2018-19?

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:23 pm ... interested in getting information from the Portsmouth Clay Panther camp ! after making their appearance to the big show - last year's decline was expected as in the small school divisions - classes like the 2016-17 Clay Panthers don't come along often ... looking to see if the talent level has started back up for CHS, the youngsters from last year have grown - size & experience wise - will the Panthers get back to being a force in SOC hoops soon? ...
... not sure I have ever quoted myself before ! anyway - was reading the SOC 1 rundowns and found this on Portsmouth Clay :

"Clay- New Coach, New System. Saw them the other night in BURG. They play hard, shoot the ball well, and have depth as well. Looks like they want to play up tempo a little bit."

... sounds promising to me that the Panthers will be putting up some "W's" this season and getting off the End Table ... any names associated with the "shoot the ball well" ?

Return to “Boys Basketball”