New Hope Christian

mattash
Site Admin

New Hope Christian

Post by mattash »

While working on these schedules I notice they show up on a lot of games. Where are they located?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: New Hope Christian

Post by pfloyd »

mattash wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:59 am While working on these schedules I notice they show up on a lot of games. Where are they located?
... private school in Circleville ...

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

They compete in the OHSAA Tournament?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Is that where the church is out Tarlton Rd.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

New Hope Christian is a small, very religious Christian school in Pickaway County. They are probably closer to Ashville than they are Circleville.

They do not compete in the OHSAA tournament. One of the primary reasons they do not is because they have had students in the past who would not be able to finish out the season because of the OHSAA age policy (or wouldn’t have been able to play their senior year, at all, under the old policy.)

I believe the church being referred to upthread is actually the church on US 22, about a couple southwest of Lancaster, that has “New Hope” in its name. That church is not related at all to the school, as far as I know. My apologies if, somehow, I myself and mistaken on the church smurray inquired about.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I looked at the New Hope website, looked at their handbook ... it appeared that NHCA were in an OHSAA probationary period in 2016-17 BUT the 2018-19 handbook had that still included BUT a line through it - not sure whether they didn't come up to the OHSAA requirements during their probationary period or ?????

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

I’ll add that New Hope plays a very difficult schedule (or at least they did last year) and likely would have been a top seed in the D4 Central District tournament had they been able to play (most schools they play are Central District).

They destroyed D4 District finalist Tree of Life and have also beaten several other top seeds in the previous few years. FWIW, I believe they also won the Ohio Christian School Athletic Association the last couple of years.

I do know that they typically get a decent amount of homeschoolers, although I hadn’t heard about kids ineligible based on age requirements until mentioned in this thread.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Snowman wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 pm I do know that they typically get a decent amount of homeschoolers, although I hadn’t heard about kids ineligible based on age requirements until mentioned in this thread.
That’s of the main venues of the age situation becoming the issue. They get kids who are homeschooled but for one reason of another are a year or two behind where they’re supposed to be on the track (e.g. they start first grade as seven or eight year olds; their records have errors with regard to credit and completions; something happened where the student isn’t finishing eighth grade before the age of 15, etc.)

I think there is another issue that’s stood between them and an OHSAA membership; but I’m not privy to that.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

Their admission rules is the reason they cannot play in OHSAA sanctioned games. They allow home schoolers play that are not affiliated with the school. Home schoolers that live in districts that have basketball. The church/school is located on Walnut Creek Pike in between Circleville and Ashville, called New Hope Christian School and The Circleville Church of the Nazarene "The Naz". They have a top notch coach in Shane Roese.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

football life wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:44 am Their admission rules is the reason they cannot play in OHSAA sanctioned games. They allow home schoolers play that are not affiliated with the school. Home schoolers that live in districts that have basketball. The church/school is located on Walnut Creek Pike in between Circleville and Ashville, called New Hope Christian School and The Circleville Church of the Nazarene "The Naz". They have a top notch coach in Shane Roese.
Wasn’t Roese on the Teays Valley basketball staff at one point in time?

Yeah, that sounds about right. Five years ago, they had like seven girls put together for a combined 6-7-8th grade team. I remember being at one of those games, where my pal was coaching 7th grade at another school. They could choose to not allow non-students to play, but then they more often than not would have not enough bodies to make a team.

Return to “Boys Basketball”