11/30 #8 Athens vs #2 Gallia Academy

svac83
SE

Re: 11/30 #8 Athens vs #2 Gallia Academy

Post by svac83 »

Thing that impressed me most was Gallia defense and physical play. They are going to get lay a lot of games that teams are going to want to make ugly.

I still say Gallia starting 5 changes over the next few weeks. The 5 they have starting is the 5 you want on floor in the big minutes. But I think this team would be better suited if Blouir and and Henry came off the bench. Both of these kids can come off the bench and be in flow of game from 1st possession.

Most of there most productive kids on bench really need a few possessions to get into a flow. I think this could be the formula they need to really up it to next level.

Blue22
Waterboy

Post by Blue22 »

svac83 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:34 pm Thing that impressed me most was Gallia defense and physical play. They are going to get lay a lot of games that teams are going to want to make ugly.

I still say Gallia starting 5 changes over the next few weeks. The 5 they have starting is the 5 you want on floor in the big minutes. But I think this team would be better suited if Blouir and and Henry came off the bench. Both of these kids can come off the bench and be in flow of game from 1st possession.

Most of there most productive kids on bench really need a few possessions to get into a flow. I think this could be the formula they need to really up it to next level.
Wow I disagree. I think those two kids deserve to be starters.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think your missing the point. I am not suggesting either of those kids play one less minute then what they are getting now. I am just saying I think if you want to be productive past the top 5. This is going to be the best flow to this team bailey walker, blain carter and I am missing another one need a few trips up and down floor to get in flow of the game.

You bring those kids in about 6 minute mark of 1st quarter they will be both ready to go and you will have a much better flow. Both Henry and Blouir can flow either way.

It is sort of the opposite of the situation the blue devils had with miles Cornwall. Cornwall would be so hyped up starting at tip that he would get off to horrible starts and be a turnover machine for entire quarter. Took him out of starting line up a lot of times he was at scores bench with over 7 minutes left in 1st quarter he played much better. And was a force from first possession.

The kids you have on the bench this year. You don’t really have any one there that has ever really been a role player. Blain carter is closest you have to it. But not really because he was getting loose playing a few quarters of JV and then was effective off of varsity bench.

Blouir, call, Henry and mcellend have all been role players at one time you could rotate through all four of those kids setting the first couple of minutes each night and your role players would perform much better.

I get a lot of people won’t agree with me. And I am in no way suggesting the 5 kids that are starting are not the hardest working and best players this team has. Because they are.

But if your asking how this team will preform best as a team. I think you mix up the rotation in the first couple of minutes and you will see those roll players play much better.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Athens is a very hard place to get a W. !

SEOAL74
Freshman Team

Post by SEOAL74 »

This Gallia Academy team I think will be find with the five starters they have. It takes time for teams to jell and 4 of the five starters are back from last year and Blouir was the first kid off bench last year so same as all five starters being back. They don't need any changes just keep improving week by week. the Players coming off the bench just need to learn their rolls on this team.

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Let’s get other kids going at the risk of getting behind in a game because a starter is coming off the bench!

I don’t know why GA threads are always complaining or questioning something, whether it is the coach or the players.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

You don't need to fix it when its not broke ! Nothing wrong with the starting 5 !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Athens shot 26% from the floor for the game vs Gallia , had 17 TOs AND only lost by 10 ... the Athens "strength" is in the paint with Hynes ... Chubb should be a beast in the paint with his size and physical mentality along with Butcher the same ... Athens NEEDS perimeter scoring to be able to go to their strength in the paint more often ... just watched Athens turn the ball over or Waverly turn Athens over 32 times at the Piketon Tip Off last night and ONLY lost by 6! - to a very good Waverly team ! ... Athens has work to do - but so does every other team in the SE District LOL ... finding everyone's roles, the right combinations on the floor at what times , who ARE my scorers, who is/are my go to guy/guys ... lots of early season questions to be answered as we move into the 1st full week of games ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It’s not who starts....

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:59 pm It’s not who starts....
That is my only point Ironman... that is my point exactly.

And for a lot of you guys if your going to be happy going 20-2 in regular season or maybe a little bit better and winning a game or 2 at convo will make you happy then your right they don’t need to tinker with it.

They can live with almost no bench help and get that far. If your a player and you want a real shot to get to Columbus I think you are saying coach put us in the best opportunity to get us there.

Maybe if your so worried about who starts then you find a unique way. To get those kids ready to play in a different way. They are all seniors so I don’t think your going to play them in the jv game..... maybe you could have a harder pregame go of it. I played high school ball with a kid who knew that unless something crazy happened he would play last 2 minutes of first quarter and a minute or two to start second quarter. At about the 5 minute mark of 1st quarter he would leave bench and go to locker room he would he either sprint up and down a hall until two minute time or jump rope in locker room or something. Made the kid awesome when he hit the game after he had that taste he could come in coldrest of game. Before he started that he was horrible off bench and we all knew he could play.

I had a good sight of this every night because I was at the end of the bench I loved to play but grew late and had a ton of coordination problems in late high school

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

And for the other comment. I don’t think I am complaining Coach will do whatever coach will do. I thought the whole purpose of this sight was to support your team I like giving my opinion on what we could do better. Even if we’re 22-0 I might see things we can do better... I don’t see that as complaining...

Have a great season blue devils

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Coach Cozarts teams start seasons slow & finish strong. I would expect the same this year. They don't have that big scorer but they have great depth size & experience. Still the favorite in TVC

BigBlue85
Waterboy

Post by BigBlue85 »

This GA team will easily get out of the district or at least they should. I still say the talent coupled with a weak OVC and a 7 footer is the perfect recipe for the best team ever at Gallia. I can say this even after watching them not play their best against Athens. But it's early and neither team was at their best. I look forward to many wins this season. We have a great chance to go 22-0. This team should have a goal of going to Columbus

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Early !

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

GA vs Logan is the early game ? Since you said 22-0 ?

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

22-0 is a lofty goal.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

If GA wants to make a deep tournament run, and they end up 22-0 at the end of the regular season then that is a scheduling fail on their part. Beyond Logan and Africentric, they shouldn't be challenged if they are as good as advertised.

Return to “Boys Basketball”