Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #1

mrwonderful
Varsity

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #1

Post by mrwonderful »

Well actually the Fox boy didn't play. Apparently he has aggravated an old injury against Cabell Midland last week. SP has another really good guard and a great post player with athletic players in every position...Add in great Coaching and they are a dangerous team.....

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

mrwonderful wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:54 am Well actually the Fox boy didn't play. Apparently he has aggravated an old injury against Cabell Midland last week. SP has another really good guard and a great post player with athletic players in every position...Add in great Coaching and they are a dangerous team.....
No Fox and they won that big? WOW! I am impressed. Perhaps we are sleeping on South Point.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

HamPorter wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:06 am
basketball12349 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:29 am
Bigbluefan12 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:29 am

Gallia didn’t have 3 of the 5 starters and had none of the football players for this scrimmage. If they would have played it would have been a whole different scrimmage
Either way a small D3 school almost a D4 going against a decent size D2 school and doing that at their place is impressive. Have to give it to the kids. They had good competition. And the Loveday/Terry match up was good to watch. Terry had four points and Loveday had seven. Wish they would play in the regular season.
Alexander is literally 5 boys away from being Division 2 and 79 away from being Division 4. Only 30 boys smaller than Gallia.
Not sure why you are coming at me. You proved my point D2 and D3. Didn't mean to offend you.

basketball12349
Riding the Bench

Post by basketball12349 »

93Bulldog wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 am Alexander was D2 in soccer.
It goes in cycles, but this has been of the bigger classes for sure the last couple years.
And a D5 football team. It all varies depending on sport.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

basketball12349 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:29 am
93Bulldog wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 am Alexander was D2 in soccer.
It goes in cycles, but this has been of the bigger classes for sure the last couple years.
And a D5 football team. It all varies depending on sport.
Not to pile on but Gallia Academy is D4 in football

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Let's just do like Kentucky and have no divisions. Make it a true SEO tournament

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

These rankings always seem to work themselves out. Pfloyd gets to as many, if not more, games as anyone else on this site. Just so far this season, I know that he’s seen

-Logan
-Unioto
-Nelsonville-York
-New Hope
-Westfall
-McClain
-Portsmouth
-Southeastern
-Athens
-Waverly
-Piketon
-Chesapeake
-Logan Elm
-Washington
-Chillicothe
-Vinton County
-Alexander

And I’m sure I’m missing a few. He gets out to watch the teams so that he can eventually nail down the rankings. Much like the college football polls, it’ll work itself out in the end.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... okay, I decided that last night probably wasn't a good time to respond to someone taking a shot at what I try to do - even if it is in my own mind as to what I try to do, as no one pays me, no one says I have to rank teams (all 72) , I COULD sit at home and STILL rank teams 1-72 without watching a single game ! BUT in my little mind in order to 1) be able to rank teams I have to know the teams, 2) to be at all credible I could not in my own mind (as little as it may be) even try to rank teams NOT having seen as many as I can ... anyway - I apologize for responding last night at all I had just gotten back from Washington CH (about an hour and 20 minute drive each way/after doing my fulltime day job) - I should have waited until today to respond ... I just took a look at the finals from last night , wanted to look at all of them to see IF I was waaaaaaaaay off base with my rankings and the game results of last night ... I had 5 lower ranked teams beat higher ranked teams last night :

#29 Adena 75
#19 Fairfield Leesburg 49

#25 Fairland 58
#11 Ironton 51

#43 South Point 65
#16 Chesapeake 58

#44 Lucasville Valley 66
#26 South Webster 60

#13 Portsmouth 54
#41 Coal Grove 66

... it was posted that there were many upsets ? I suppose you could "say" upsets due to the rankings or the "gap" between team rankings ... so I will give THAT to the poster from last night ... on behalf of the committee - these teams are (other than Adena) the furthest away from where I point PFLOYD1 to begin my travels to games - hard to get TO THE RIVER (Chesapeake/Fairland/Ironton/Portsmouth/South Wesbster/Valley/Coal Grove then you throw in a SHAC team ANY SHAC team ... unless these teams are playing in a tournament get-together (ie the Piketon Classic to start the year/ZT Tip Off Classic/the Pike County Holiday tourney/the Beasts of the Southeast in Chesapeake) more than likely I can't get out to see these teams until the Convo - week nights are impossible with my "real job" ... just because I travel to see as many teams as I can see I STILL WANT TO SEE GOOD basketball - so the committee "ain't" traveling to see teams for the sake of just seeing teams ...

Portsmouth losing to Coal Grove ... young PHS team, going to have ups and downs ALL season ... it was on the road at Coal Grove ... from what I have read about the OVC since THE SUMMER was that you could flip a coin between where any of the teams would be at the end of the season after you put down on paper everyone's "OVC to lose" pick Gallia Academy ... 2 through the rest of the OVC were 50/50 toss up games in the league ... most the time you look at high school games and the home team HAS a point total advantage - what you want to give them is up to you ... I figure between 4-8 points depending on where "home" is ... Portsmouth lost by -12 ... I HAVE seen Portsmouth - lots of talent ! a team with speed/quickness ... a team you don't want to see in the post season - Fraulini (jr)/Shipp(soph)/Johnson(fr) THAT trio will be back next year for Coach Collins , add to the mix 2 seniors Latimore & McKinley- both excellent ... PHS is a work in progress which we can say about ALL of the teams - Coach Collins has scorers in Latimore/Fraulini (both can put up 20 points a night) ... Shipp/McKinley will get better and better as the season goes along - they are a work in progress in getting them "set plays" in the paint ... Johnson is the press breaker pg/harasser on the defensive end - not a scorer of the ball - yet ... give the Trojans time to get all of the parts working ... until then the adage that the OVC has one outstanding team - Gallia and a large group of "equally talented/can beat each other on any given night" will hold true ... this one not an upset ...

Valley vs South Webster ... Valley (2-2) ... going into last night - had beaten a quality team in Adena, lost to Piketon in the opening game @ PHS - the Indians played well enough to win that one ... VHS lost to Oak Hill at Oak Hill by 12 ... if they play a team that is missing it's star - enter So.Webster & Blevins - Valley has shown they can beat you AND they did ... no upset in my thinking ...

Chesapeake vs South Point
... the Pointers without Fox !? getting the W vs a young , but good 'peake ball club AT Chesapeake BUT as soon as you can label a team "young" you almost always follow that with "inconsistent" ...I'll give you an upset label on that one just because ...

Fairland vs Ironton ... 2 unproven teams, Ironton the more known commodity - Fairland loses all 5 starters - the committee in the preseason - put the rebuilding label on the Dragons - not the case ! beating a full strength So Webster team (+13), beat Huntington Prep (+24) the lone loss by 2 points at home vs one of the better teams in SEOhio Eastern Pike ... haven't seen either Ironton or Fairland - only know the coaching staff at Fairland Coach Speed/Coach Salyers - the emphasis is on Defense ... they have kids who practiced vs the best of SEOhio for their careers at FHS ... still the Dragons are unproven - they ARE showing to be a very good TEAM that will continue to move up the rankings - probably ranked a little low but not overly so for the "unknown" that they are imo ... Ironton is probably too high - for now ... not an upset in my opinion ...

... my take on the criticism for myself apparently coming across as "me thinking I'm an expert" in my rankings/posts ? hard to be an expert when dealing with 14-18 year old kids playing a game ... I post on what I see, what I get from others - coaches, fellow posters (there are posters on here who I will read religiously - I92, daniC, trojandave, 93bulldog and others for sure - I trust their input, I know they KNOW what they are talking about - but they will back me up on this one - I listen BUT I'm pretty hardheaded - I usually will keep their input in mind and go my own way anyway LOL - but truthfully I trust what I SEE - that's why I hit the highways Tuesday, Friday, Saturday every week for from Nov.30 - the 3 Weeks of the Convo ... IF watching high school hoops all winter, and not being afraid to post my opinions on what I see makes me an expert - so be it ... my intent is not to come across that way ... I do want those who read what I post concerning the teams and what I see concerning the teams to get out a SEE for themselves ! more often than not - IF you get out and watch the teams, including your school or favorite team more often than not you will agree with what I have seen in the teams ... I post what I see and what the napkin stats tell me after I have watched the games ...

... back to last nights "upsets" ... in my "not so expert" opinion 1 upset in 32 games for the night ... I'll take it ... even if I give in to counting all 5 as upsets ? - that would be a typical hoops night Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... each game night is a chapter of the 2018-19 season written by youngsters playing the game of basketball ... a new chapter is written as we move through the season by all 72 teams each night ... by the time February rolls around each of these 72 teams will have edited their own stories - correcting/adjusting/coming up with a TEAM they all get a chance to send to the Final Chapter - the post season ... the Elite 8 rankings WILL have it's own final edition that summarizes all 72 stories into one post ... if the author is paying attention as I know he does , that Final Edition will be pretty darn accurate as to who ARE the best of the best in Southern and SouthEast Ohio hoops for 2018-19 ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... over 4000 views in less than 3 days ... controversy sells apparently ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:07 pm ... over 4000 views in less than 3 days ... controversy sells apparently ...
Ur rankings r stupid. I’d definitely have West Union 42nd and not 46th smh

But anyways shoot me a pm and I’ll pay your $2 parking Friday

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Pfloyd:

You know how tired you were? You forgot the fact the game you drove all that way on a Tuesday night was #22 over #5. :-)

And Ironman92– you are way off !! 42nd is way off!

I’d have them 43 and absolutely no higher!

Sorry I didn’t get to see you last night Pfloyd! Ironman92 and I are definitely having a grudge match Friday night.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:07 pm ... over 4000 views in less than 3 days ... controversy sells apparently ...
Probably just 1,000 people checking and rechecking that Alexander ranking. They can't believe their eyes so they have to read it again. Lol lol

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Looking good

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LucasDavenport wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:37 pm Pfloyd:

You know how tired you were? You forgot the fact the game you drove all that way on a Tuesday night was #22 over #5. :-)

And Ironman92– you are way off !! 42nd is way off!

I’d have them 43 and absolutely no higher!

Sorry I didn’t get to see you last night Pfloyd! Ironman92 and I are definitely having a grudge match Friday night.
Great minds think alike ! I was typing a PM and thought to myself "heck I left out THE game that would by most BE THE upset from last night Washington CH over Chilli ! LOL ... although I would argue that RIGHT NOW the TEAM playing the better ball got the win last night at Wash CH ... the Blue Lions are playing better basketball right now - not just last night ... Chillicothe is struggling offensively for sure - they did vs Zane Trace - from reading the posts from that ZT game - the same thing happened last night with what I saw as well ... the shots didn't fall from anywhere on the court - inside or outside ... the Cavs are having trouble getting into ANY offensive flow which turns the game into one on one matchups that right now the Cavs aren't winning ... I shook Coach Scott's hand before the game congratulating him on his head coaching hire, and again after the game at the CH bench ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 pm
Probably just 1,000 people checking and rechecking that Alexander ranking. They can't believe their eyes so they have to read it again. Lol lol
... no doubt ! :lol:

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

He let me know and was glad you were there. Keep up the good work!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I'll have time to actually write a "game rundown" on the Blue Lions vs the Ironmen Friday night - not just the napkin stats ... Coach Scott & his TEAM of BL's have earned a game rundown with their start this season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... there IS a boyz game going on tonight ! Unioto is hosting Nelsonville York at the U for this Wednesday night ! if anyone has updates please share !

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

17-17 after 1 and Unioto up 38-30 at half

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Keep up the good work you. Enjoy it and always a pleasure to sit and talk.

Return to “Boys Basketball”