Jackson 62 Washington CH 55 OT final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Jackson 62 Washington CH 55 OT final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Jackson 62
Washington CH 55 OT ... a final

... got my first look at the Jackson Ironmen Friday night vs the Blue Lions of Washington CH - I wasn't disappointed - an excellent basketball game ... 2 very good basketball teams ... for Court House , Coach Scott has the Blue Lions believing in themselves as a basketball team - coming off a big win over his mentor Coach Huffer & the Cavs of Chillicothe Tuesday night , the Lions were taking on their 2nd top 8 team in less than a week vs the Jackson Ironmen ... for the Ironmen of Coach Morrow trying to put down the upstart Lions & hold serve at home to get to 4-1 for the young season ... the game opened ALL Lions, specifically ALL Blue Lions Dillon Stewart - quick off the dribble, deadly from beyond the arc, stifling defender (doing my best Oscar from the movie Armageddon - "so yur' saying pretty much an all around special player ..." ... Stewart made the Ironmen pay dearly in playing the 2-3 zone vs the quicker Lions ... Stewart LED the Jackson team 13-11 after the first quarter ... the BL team in the 1st had doubled up on the I'town boys 18-9 with a 3 pointer from Evan Upthegrove - at one point in the first and the beginning for the 2nd the Blue Lions (Stewart/Upthegrove) drilled 5 straight triples (Stewart 4/Upthgrove 1) with Blaise Tayese doing what he did to Chilli Tuesday night - got to the rim - for a 2 pointer... the Ironmen kept in contact with their outstanding offense trio - Cooper Donaldson/Caleb Wallis & big man Treylan Davis ... Washington 18 Jackson 11 after 1 ... if you watch "good" basketball & "good" basketball teams playing in "good" basketball games you will see the "little" adjustments made by coaches DURING the game ... Coach Morrow's Ironmen went from a 2-3 zone in the first to a 1-2-2 zone in the 2nd - forced the offense to start a little deeper, gave the defense the option of trapping on the perimeter and the hopes of getting Dillon Stewart off "his spot" - result : Stewart had only 1 triple in the 2nd quarter BUT as good players do THEY TOO adjust to the defense - Stewart picked up his points off a transition bucket, drive to the rim & one, and the rare nowadays medium range jumper ... Mr. Stewart added 10 points in the 2nd period for a first half 23 point total - outstanding performance ... Jackson's defensive adjustment did not shutdown Stewart but it did take away the rest of the Lions offensively - only 6-5 Richie Burns added points in the second for CH ... offensively JHS showed the offensive threats that THEY possess - (sr) Cooper Donaldson and 6-5 (SOPHOMORE) Treylan Davis each put up 6 points for Jackson to cut the Lions lead to 6 going into intermission ... Jackson 24 Court House 30 intermission ... Coach Morrow made the IN game adjustment going from the 2-3 zone to the 1-2-2 ... end result Stewart was STILL getting his points , the Lions STILL held onto the lead ... as I pointed out the "good" players,teams, coaches make adjustments ... (when I watched Washington vs Chilli , the Cavs played man2man for the entire game (for the most part) ... result Washington ONLY put up 5 three point shots FOR THE GAME ... the man2man D took away the perimeter threat that the Lions have - vs Jackson in the opening 2 periods CH put up 15 triples! - this is why I watch a team more than one time - I came away from the Washington vs Chilli game saying the Lions didn't shoot the perimeter ball , wanted to get to the rim - which they do have 5 players who CAN get to the rim ... ) ... the 3rd period saw Coach Morrow putting the Ironmen in their man to man D vs Washington - great adjustment - Jackson plays outstanding man to man D to begin with ... the man to man takes it's toll on a team like CH - excellent starting 5 BUT a short bench ... drop off in point production when they have to go to the bench as well as decision making on the court ... the Jackson D held CH to 5 third quarter points ... 2 fgs in the paint by the CH big man Richie Burns - nothing on the perimeter ... defensive adjustment worked (gave up 5 points - check, turned the Lions over 8 times - check) ... Treylan Davis, Jackson's big man - took over in the 3rd adding 7 more points, the Donaldson's (Caden/Cooper) added the other 7 points that gave Jackson the lead after 3 ... Jackson 38 Court House 35 end of 3 ... the final quarter in regulation... for the Lions it was gut check time - in the recent Lions "on court" history (not this season) - having a lead, having that lead taken away, having their #1 option in Stewart taken away by the opposition - all of that would have had "in the past" - last couple of seasons - Lions folding up the tent, rolling over ... the culture IS changing in Washington - for the good - the Lions did NONE of that ... in the 4th CH had the Big Man in the middle - Burns drop 9 points in the paint, Stewart found a way to add 2 more fgs and last games hero in the 4th added a fg - Blaise Tayese ... CH outscored JHS 7-0 in the final 50 seconds of regulation ... 50-50 after 4 ...

... Good basketball TEAMS have a player that TEAM wants to touch the ball every single time down court ... luckily for the Ironmen THAT player is the PG Caleb Wallis ... 5-7 ... might be THE BEST pg I have seen this season ... quicker than anyone on the court with the ball in his hands ... has improved his game from last season - has made himself a 3 point threat ... gets to the rim ... draws physical contact in the paint where at 5-7 he "ain't" supposed to get into ... did I mention that CW is tough as nails ... love watching CW play the game probably because as a cheap seat guy it looks like CW would rather be no where else than on a basketball court, in OT, with the ball IN HIS hands ... the OT period was ALL Caleb Wallis ... CW got to the line 4/4 from the FT line ... a floater in the paint for 2 and a game ending steal & transition bucket ... CW 8 points in the OT ... Washington 5 pts ... Jackson 62 Washington CH 55 OT a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Washington CH

Scoring
... Dillon Steward 27, Richie Burns 17, Evan Upthegrove 4, Blaise Tayese 4, Ross Matthews Jr 3
3-Pointers ... 6/20 ... Dillon Steward 4, Evan Upthegrove 1, Ross Matthews 1
FT's ... 3/6
TOs ... 23
PnP ... 16 fgs/32 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/4 points in transition

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Jackson

Scoring ... Treylan Davis 22, Caelb Wallis 17, Cooper Donarldson 16, Caden Donaldson 7
3 Pointers ... 3/17 ... Caden Donaldson 2, Caleb Wallis 1
FTs .......... 16/23
TOs .......... 16
PnP ... 16 fgs/32 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/4 points in transition
PBB ... 4fg/8 points off of Put Back Baskets

... Jackson IS a top 8 team even with the 2 losses (Bloom Carrol, McClain) ... one of the KEYS to the Jackson success that I overlooked but kept telling Mrs. pfloyd the whole game was how quick, tenacious Jackson rebounds the ball at BOTH ends but especially at the offensive end - wow - getting 1,2,3 shots at the rim - Donaldson/Davis get after it on the boards - outstanding ... watching the JV game - the Ironmen of Coach Morrow is loaded for years to come the names Blankenship,Hughes, Spires, Bragg - go ahead an fill out the scorebook for 2019-20, 20-21, 21-22 ... Coach Morrow will have Jackson in the Elite 8 for a long time ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Jackson 62 Washington CH 55 OT final ...

Post by Ironman92 »

Good in depth rundown. Jackson defeated Bloom Carroll, not sure how you don’t get turned around more often lol.

Jackson beat Bloom Carroll 61-54 at Zane Trace

Beat Wellston handily

Lost at McClain 50-48

Beat Hillsboro 69-33

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:58 pm Good in depth rundown. Jackson defeated Bloom Carroll, not sure how you don’t get turned around more often lol.

Beat Wellston handily

Lost at McClain 50-48

Beat Hillsboro 69-33
... dang ! I92 - good meet you last night ! thanks for the free parking pass as well ... you should see the table in front of me ! - my wife sooooo hates hoops season ! - I have piles of legal pads with nightly scores, the print out from the previous weeks rankings, I'll have 2 or 3 screen tabs open at the same time while trying to type with 3 fingers ! I'll fix the post above to be correct with the schedule - thanks ... as you saw - I AM OLD , I CAN USE AGE AS AN EXCUSE ! LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:58 pm Good in depth rundown. Jackson defeated Bloom Carroll, not sure how you don’t get turned around more often lol.

Beat Wellston handily

Lost at McClain 50-48

Beat Hillsboro 69-33

... fixed it ...

joemama
Riding the Bench

Post by joemama »

Get so tired of hearing about "culture" of some of these teams- young teams often lose and older teams relatively speaking, win. WCHs best all around player Upthegrove missed 5-6 games last year- they started sophomores that don't even see the floor this year. Winning cures all. PERIOD. LE got stomped last night- culture? No- young team. Too say young kids "fold tent" is so unfair. Young kids learn from upperclassmen- THEY create the culture. PERIOD. There must be a lot of coaches who post on here as much behind the curtain knowledge that's spread as gospel. Congrats to Coach Morrow- tough tough- good kids he has. Love to watch Coop and Wallis play.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great meeting Dan Morrow from the Jackson radio, Mr. Phil Howard the Superintendent of Jackson schools to talk some hoops and of course Ironman92 - I92 and I go way back to the jjhuddle days of high school sports forums for SE Ohio sports ... thanks for coming up to the cheap seats I92 to say hello ...

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Thanks for the rundown Pfloyd! Road wins are going to be tough to come by in the league.

I missed you again Pfloyd. Next time come down to the table for a quick hello!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:36 pm Thanks for the rundown Pfloyd! Road wins are going to be tough to come by in the league.

I missed you again Pfloyd. Next time come down to the table for a quick hello!

... will do ... I ran into Coach Scott when I arrived with Mrs pfloyd last night ... I know he wanted the W but he had to feel good about the outstanding effort his kids displayed last night - WH has a very good starting 5 ! if I've read correctly getting the Leisure boy back will help with the bench rotation as well ... the Blue Lions are a handful !

goblue1395
Freshman Team

Post by goblue1395 »

joemama wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:28 pm Get so tired of hearing about "culture" of some of these teams- young teams often lose and older teams relatively speaking, win. WCHs best all around player Upthegrove missed 5-6 games last year- they started sophomores that don't even see the floor this year. Winning cures all. PERIOD. LE got stomped last night- culture? No- young team. Too say young kids "fold tent" is so unfair. Young kids learn from upperclassmen- THEY create the culture. PERIOD. There must be a lot of coaches who post on here as much behind the curtain knowledge that's spread as gospel. Congrats to Coach Morrow- tough tough- good kids he has. Love to watch Coop and Wallis play.
Turning point in WCH program was the freshman season of this year’s Senior class. Why were there no seniors last year for the Blue Lions? They saw the writing on the wall as sophomores when their JV minutes were replaced by the class below them. WCH could’ve had a freshman team that season and still would’ve had a solid JV squad, along with a varsity squad that won 20+ games I believe. I just think WCH coach at the time was too eager to move those guys up and did so at the expense of his program. I know hindsight is 20/20 but that was the turning point for WCH for sure. WCH always had a freshman team and now hasn’t had one in 4+ years, only team in the league without one. Having three teams is HUGE for a program IMO.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

goblue1395 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:41 pm
joemama wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:28 pm Get so tired of hearing about "culture" of some of these teams- young teams often lose and older teams relatively speaking, win. WCHs best all around player Upthegrove missed 5-6 games last year- they started sophomores that don't even see the floor this year. Winning cures all. PERIOD. LE got stomped last night- culture? No- young team. Too say young kids "fold tent" is so unfair. Young kids learn from upperclassmen- THEY create the culture. PERIOD. There must be a lot of coaches who post on here as much behind the curtain knowledge that's spread as gospel. Congrats to Coach Morrow- tough tough- good kids he has. Love to watch Coop and Wallis play.
Turning point in WCH program was the freshman season of this year’s Senior class. Why were there no seniors last year for the Blue Lions? They saw the writing on the wall as sophomores when their JV minutes were replaced by the class below them. WCH could’ve had a freshman team that season and still would’ve had a solid JV squad, along with a varsity squad that won 20+ games I believe. I just think WCH coach at the time was too eager to move those guys up and did so at the expense of his program. I know hindsight is 20/20 but that was the turning point for WCH for sure. WCH always had a freshman team and now hasn’t had one in 4+ years, only team in the league without one. Having three teams is HUGE for a program IMO.
What’s crazy to me is I was looking at my Whiteoak kids scheduleand they face Washington later in the season and of course it’s JV/Varsity only....the crazy thing is Whiteoak’s league of very small schools, all 10 have a freshman team.

How many freshman play this year for WCH? I know Runk, any others that got in last night on jv. I know they don’t have a lot in that group but 8th grade has some nice pieces to add with them.

goblue1395
Freshman Team

Post by goblue1395 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:15 pm
goblue1395 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:41 pm
What’s crazy to me is I was looking at my Whiteoak kids scheduleand they face Washington later in the season and of course it’s JV/Varsity only....the crazy thing is Whiteoak’s league of very small schools, all 10 have a freshman team.

How many freshman play this year for WCH? I know Runk, any others that got in last night on jv. I know they don’t have a lot in that group but 8th grade has some nice pieces to add with them.
WCH has three freshman. Runk, Burns, and Howland. Runk the only one who played.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

That was a good read gents !!! Thanks !!!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Return to “Boys Basketball”